Eneloop XX & JetBeam i4 "Interllicharger" Question/Problem...Help!

Hi, just got some Eneloop XX’s for the first time. When I charge them in the i4 it never shuts off and says they’re full, just keeps flashing 2-3 bars and gets quite warm. The regular Eneloops don’t do this, works perfect. What gives?

It’s missing the end of charge signal……the i4 is a lousy charger for Eneloops they get hot too.

Like I said, no problem for regular ’loops…what voltage should they read when finished? Yesterday they read 1.42v and were still going.

These cells are reading from 1.39v to 1.44v…and some of them never turn off the charger. The 1.44v battery was still cooking when I took it off. The lower voltage ones actually finally hit 3 solid bars. This seems strange…and they’re getting hot!

If I had it to do all over, I’d get the good ol’ white Eneloops… :~

Getting hot is never a good sign. What voltage does the standard eneloops read when they are done? I wouldn’t use that charger for the xx if I was you, cuz you might forget they are on it, and damage them or worse. If that is the only charger you have maybe just pull them off when they reach the same voltage as the standards do when they are done charging.

Getting hot is never a good sign. What voltage does the standard eneloops read when they are done? I wouldn’t use that charger for the xx if I was you, cuz you might forget they are on it, and damage them or worse. If that is the only charger you have maybe just pull them off when they reach the same voltage as the standards do when they are done charging.

run the batteries down a bit and try them again just keep an eye on temperatures . I thought my i4 was junk too and then my other (friendly ) charger heated some up too so IDK any more . The batteries were pretty stinkin beat up from a Fandyfire Rook trying to suck the life out of them ... .7v

they terminated (in my friendly charger) at 1.44 but were way toastier than they'd ever been .

I tried running them down a bit, then re-charging. No difference.

I’ll probably return these and get more white Eneloops, which have been flawless in operation and charging so far.

Anyone else had problems with the XX’s?

I don’t have this charger but thought I’d chime in about my charger and duraloops/eneloops. I have an old Rayovac PS3. It can charge single position as well as multiple positions. If I charge single position, the cells do get towards the hot side.

One of the things I’m wondering with these chargers is what voltage should duraloops/eneloops be charged to? Mine, fresh off the charger, most of the time, is 1.47v-1.50v. Is this too high voltage for duraloops/eneloops to be charged to? Could also be why they’re getting hot.

Thanks!

How hot are they getting? A good Ni-MH charger should have temperature termination in case it keeps charging.

On a BC1000 and a C9000 they don’t get hot what-so-ever; now on the i4 Yes they get very hot so I don’t use the i4 for them.

This is why I rarely use the i4 for NiMH. I have a Maha C9000 for my NiMH cells. I don’t want to cook them with the weird termination algorithm that the i4 uses.

The i4 is actually a Universal charger and thus and it’s not the master of each format it charges, it charges Li-Ion’s fairly well the algorithm for them seems to be fine, NiMH however are a different matter and I think you would be best not use it for them. As for the Rayovac I do believe that model is meant to charge in pairs and that is probably why it gets hot with singles…too much current.

Invest in a quality NiMH charger and you’ll get years and years of use out your batteries, I’ve got some Eneloop’s from 2006 that are still going strong….probably because I’ve never “cooked” them during charging.

I’ve destroyed some Nimh cells on NC i4 charger. It never stops charging and the sticker expanded till it breaks. So sad

+1

Well that reminds me the good old day over charging/ short circuited Sub-C Sanyo Cadnica RC batteries way back then :weary:

Kinda scary feeling I would say :frowning:

IMHO, it is better to get an individually charging slot, dedicated NiMH charger :slight_smile:

I have a Sony BCG-34HRE which work great ~

is the i2 the same ? problems?

Funny, I hadn’t heard a bad word about the i4 until this thread. It’s been flawless with my NiMH and LiIon batteries…except the XX’s. I’ve got another cheaper NiMH charger I could try with the XX’s, but the whole point of the i4 was to consolidate chargers. Thanks for all your info, everybody!