Firefoxes FF4 received and tested

I got my Firefoxes FF4 in today. I thought I would post up a little info on it and test data I got today.
Nice looking little light. Mine came with the lens cap that Lips includes when purchased from him. Minor thing, but still a nice touch. It’s lighter than I thought it would be too. And pretty compact. Sized right between a SRK and a TN31.
The operation does kinda suck, as a few have already commented on. I feel you should be able to switch to 60wt as freely as you want as long as thermal protection says its not getting too hot. For normal use that lack of control would get annoying, but in truth even the 42wt mode is pretty darn impressive.
Anyway, now for the good stuff. The testing. Loaded it up with unprotected Panasonic PD’s. Stuck it in the lightbox and started it up.
Low(24wt) - 2900 lumens
Medium(42wt) - 5225 lumens
High(60wt) - 7010 lumens
As a note, the 24wt reading might be a little high since I took that reading after the 42wt run, and I’m not sure how long it takes to properly drop down. But it should be pretty close. The 42wt and 60wt were both measured until the FF4 stopped climbing. That was roughly 50-60 seconds for the 42wt and once kicked on 60wt from there it got to its peak pretty quick, perhaps 5 seconds or so. So those numbers are good for sure.
Next I tested the lux. Tested it in my usual 15m spot inside a dark house. It was already warm, but tested it for about 90 seconds total going up into 60wt mode pretty quick.
Results - 430K
So not bad at all. I think these numbers are pretty close to what I’ve been hearing in the few tests that have done so far. Not much out there on it that I’ve seen, thus why I thought my testing numbers might come in handy. So I’m pretty pleased with the little light. It will likely be just a “fun” light for me, but that’s what I expected when it was bought.
And for sure it will be included in this weekends beamshots along with my other powerful lights.
Just a couple little shots -

Just be carefull with your testing that you dont go starting any bushfires. I’m looking forward to reading about your next weekend and the discussions that follow. :slight_smile:

Nice looking light. Look forward to the beamshots.

Nice pics, thanks! I’ve looked at & been interested in 1st the FF3 now the FF4. How much are the FF4 going for these days? I have seen that there was some price drop. I’m really looking forward to some beam shots! On another note, one that’s stopping me from buying. I read that this light has a 4300K HID. Yukkk. I like my light cold white. Like 6000K-7000K. Are there any options to change out the bulb to a cooler white? I have also read that this bulb for this HID light is proprietary :frowning: I also have a Ryobi HID spotlight, love the tint on that one & specs say 8000K but looks more like about 7000K. But it’s no where near as portable as an FF.

Thanks!

Looks good to me. Definitely a collector’s items.

Yeah the color is a little warm, but not too bad. Not as warm as my TN31mb for example. Plus that 4300k is suppose to produce the best power I understand, so I’m good with that. I also had one of the ryobi 35wt HID’s. And yeah it did have a nice white color. But it wasn’t as bright as I hoped for and eventually sold it. This one is bright enough I can look past the typical annoying warm up time.

rdrfronty: As I have commented very much earlier in my other thread and posts , your test intrument-validated figures pretty much confirms what my eyes see when I compare it with my TK70. Thanks.

Very cool. Your thread helped on my decision to buy my FF4.

I would appreciate it very much if you eventually post some beamshots comparing the FF4 to your ‘arsenal’ of heavy-hitters! :wink:

Yes sir, brother and I will be doing that ASAP. Looking forward to having that fun.

Can someone link me to the Panny PD’s and where sells them the cheapest

I got mine from Fasttech

oh man, 7000 lumens…. now its tempting me again. darn it.
this light is so compact and bright. so so looking forward to your beamshots, this will determine once and for all if i need to buy one of these.

It’s good that they are short and will fit in the carrier no problems, but they are only 2900 mAh, do they also come in 3400mAh?

As far as I know, the PD’s only are 2900s

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the bulb life on one of these?

I don’t really understand what exactly sucks about the operation. You can’t go directly to high? High shuts down after a certain amount of time?

Are NCR18650B Unprotected 3400 mAh any good for the FF4?

I’d also like to know this, being 3400 mAh surely they be better (longer runtimes)

I have tried the Panasonic NCR-B and the PD in my FF4. At cold start, the pinkish hue present on initial strike disappears faster with the PDs compared to the Bs. (judging on a white-wall). It has less ‘turbo-lag’, so to speak.