Best lux/light meter below 30$?

Max price: 30$ including international shipping, but it can be cheaper. I just want a good one which is not super expensive.

Some options from FT:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006492/1496303-ct-1330b-digital-lux-meter-light-meter

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006395/1487101-lx1010b-2-1-lcd-digital-lux-meter-light-meter

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003840/1274500-hs1010-illuminance-brightness-lux-meter-light

Other options?

Pros and cons?

I have the second one (lx1010b) for a year now and I'm happy with it sofar. The reading is consistent over a year or so, and a battery lasts ages, even when the meter is left switched on overnight every now and then (it has no auto power off). The only con I found is that it seems to have trouble ceiling-bounce-measuring the output of zoom flashlights, especially on flood setting, I can not tell exactly what is going on but I suspect the readings are off. This may be something that is difficult for all lux-meters though.

I was skeptical about this one because of the low price ($11.49 + .96 shipping). I don't know how it ranks against others out there. Mine has delivered consistent results and stock lights measurements indicate it is accurate. I have only used it to measure throw.

I have a light meter and am unsure of the proper method of testing. Do I need a dedicated “Light Box” ?
And if so, what size does it need to be?

I see some pictures with the light sensor just duck taped to a wall.
How close do you get to sensor, etc.

I have one like the first one linked;
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006492/1496303-ct-1330b-digital-lux-meter-light-meter

Thanks,
Keith

A box/sphere is for checking total light output. Sometimes you can get good relative (not absolute, since it will vary from one person's room to another's, but should be repeatable with your sensor and your room) readings in the bathroom, with the light shining on the ceiling and the sensor measuring the light level in the room.

Mounting the sensor to the wall and shining the light directly at it is for measuring the throw, how concentrated the beam is, at a specified distance.

Here is the thread that made me decide to purchase the Gamesalor meter. I've seen it mentioned favorably in other threads as well. I'm not trying to sell you on it as I don't have any comparative experience to properly judge the quality of the meter.

I ordered the one from Gamesalor.

Thanks for the help! :)

Hope it serves you well. I don't use mine very often (which is one reason I didn't want to spend much on it), but it's a great tool to have on hand. Especially during the day when you want a quick sense of if you're going the right direction on something. Mostly, I use a subjective approach like you. I turn on the light in the real world and decide if I like it and what I want different.

It would be nice to use to verify emitter bin, but I keep dragging my feet on building an integrated tube.

I hope it serves me well too. :) I have no idea if I will use it much. I hope it will be helpful for some focusing and lens testing. Maybe ill use it for more stuff...

I considered a more expensive meter, but the ones in the 20-30$ range did not seem to have any less issues with being perfectly calibrated, so I might as well just gamble on the cheap one and see how much use it gets.

I have tried to stay away from numbers from now, to some extent. I know Im kinda a numbers guy (despite my subjective approach to modding), so there is always that risk that ill start chasing lux numbers, which I believe can get in the way of what really matters subjectively (me sacrificing tint in order to reach a certain nice round number). Oh well, its all fun anyway. :)

:beer:

Here’s one for not so cheap http://lu.mu :slight_smile:

gamesalor also on ebay USD10.53 . Store rating can be better though

Just received my unit in 2 weeks.

Is this measure method correct? I saw from another thread.

Reading straight from LCD: “123”

Distance 3m, 123 x 3 x 3 = 1107 lux (actual lux value?)
Distance 6m, 123 x 6 x 6 = 4428 lux

You are correct Freeme. That's the equation to convert a reading to lux at 1 meter (also referred to as throw or cd).

(Lux Reading x (# of Meters squared)/1,000 = kcd.

Thanks pal. I am sure this topic has been discussed over and over again. flashlightwiki explanation

Any feedback on your purchase? I noticed in your post here that you mention a meter giving inconsistent readings.

I'm hoping its not the meter you decided on above. If it is, hoping it's a low cell as I have read that can result in strange readings.

I don't have another meter to compare mine to. I don't mind if mine is off, but I do mind if it is not off the same direction each time.

Well, you be the judge of the readings I posted. Both meters were placed around 15 cm on each side of the heatsink with the emitter. It wasn't really a scientific test, just a simple quick test.

It was the red HS1010A that had the most inconsistency and lowest readings.

One time when I compared both meters, HS1010A showed around 10-15% lower than the LX-1010B. Ive compared lux numbers from the LX-1010B (my highest reading meter) with known reviewer and still been 12% too low. There could be a difference in the lights though, so Im not going to say that for certain that the difference is that large. I have not compared my numbers with many others and tried to calibrate my meters. Maybe in the future..

Based on my limited testing, I would say the LX-1010B is better than the cheaper HS1010A.

For now I just use the meters before/after mods/tweaks, focusing, comparing lenses and such.. Sometimes these numbers can be useful. But generally I don't bother with lux numbers. Ill stick to (emitter) amp readings since that is a number that is easy to get right and comparable with others (at least those who have decent DMM wires). I try and buy emitters from reliable stores.. As long as focusing is taken care of and the light is modded properly, then it is what it is..

I do appreciate that people share lux and lumen numbers though, I find them very useful when people who share a lot of numbers on different lights share. But since I joined BLF I noticied that some peoples numbers were generally more conservative than others.. These days, more people who share a lot of numbers seem to be more on level with each other.. But still, I cant help but think that some peoples numbers are not that comparative with others..

Comparing my own uncalibrated numbers, with some random guys numbers that just bought a random light meter... nah, difference in readings even on similar light could be too large to provide any useful comparison IMO.

Maybe ill use more time with my lux meters in the future, and get them calibrated up towards other peoples numbers. If I get more secure on my numbers, then I might bother to use my lux meter more.. So far, amp reading + eyes/real life use are my main measuring tools.

Thank you for all that feed back. Feeling guilty now knowing your are battling tendonitis. Also feel bad about recommending that meter to you.

Like you, I don't rely heavily on my light meter. I only have one cheap one, but a bunch of DMM's. I mostly use mine for comparative purposes. Good way quickly dial in reflector focus. I post my throw numbers because they have appeared reasonable on lights that I have an idea what they should roughly read.

Thinking about getting another light meter now though.

The HS1010A seemed like one of the best budget choices though. Other samples could be better too.. Yours could be good for all I know.

I can handle a little bit of typing. Using my left/wrong hand on the mouse. Im trying to avoid the computer and various activities, but that leads me to modding, and modding always leads to lots of breaks and reading on BLF.. :D Oh well, ice is my friend..

You have no need to feel guilty about anything. :)