Wolf-Eyes SEAL-picture heavy

hello BLF’ers. I have had my eye on the Wolf-Eyes SEAL for quite some time. The price and only being available from an austrailian distributor kept me from pulling the trigger on this massive aspheric beauty. Well as soon as I saw it on Banggood, the paypal funds were sent and upgraded the shipping to DHL for another $16.00 and it was on my doorstep in NY in one week. I will let the pictures do most of the talking.

The light wolf eyes seal - Buy wolf eyes seal with free shipping | Banggood Shopping

shipped in a very nice foam padded box

In the box: SEAL w/81.75mm O.D. bezel(78mm lens), reflector head 49 mm O.D., lanyard, specsheet/operating manual.

SEAL next to reflector head

Another angle

The pro-cap-also contains circuitry and modes selection ring-rotate the knurled ring on Pro-cap to change modes. Tail switch turns light on/off.
modes s1-slow strobe
s2-fast strobe
L-low
ML-medium low
M-medium
H-high

the circuit in the pro-cap appears to be pressed in-i have not made a very good attempt at removing it.

Tear down-locking nut has left hand threads-loosen locking nut then unscrew light head which has right hand threads. All threads fully anodized and quaility machine work throughout.

the pill removed from battery tube-interesting design- Wolf-Eyes used a spring to connect the negative pathway from pill to brass sleeve in battery tube to circuit board in tailcap.

the top part of the pill in which the mcpcb sits is press fit in to the lower section housing 9x7135(350mA) chips- a modders dream!

Next to T20 for size comparison

The nuts:
modes:100–50–20–2-F strobe -S strobe
advertised:132,993Cd(aspheric)…………….my measurement 131Kcd
31,288Cd(reflector)……………………………………… 32Kcd

I have not been able to do tailcap readings due to the circuit being in the tail cap. I also, at this time cannot, do readings at the emitter due to the fact it appears that the MCPCB is held in place by a press fit ring. I do not want to damage any of the original parts during disassembly of this extraordinary light.

overall the machining is top notch, knurling, threading, etc.
The anodizing is super tough and slightly shiny, very well done. As a comparison the anodizing on the MAXTOCH SN6-2X has a matte finish, SEAL more shiny. The modes selection ring is very user friendly. I have plans for a copper pill so the original parts won’t have to be cannabalized and future mods will be easier.

what a beauty!!! I am so jealous!

Now THAT’s an aspheric! Holy cow! Would love to see what kind of candella comes outta that when you get the amperage up…

Congrats!

Edit: Surprised at more than a few things. The massive aspheric of course, and the layout of easily stacked chips, but the throw seems pretty low for over 3A, with such a massive aspheric …what does the beam profile look like? Is it nicely focused? Are you planning on doubling up those chips? I’d be all over that….4 high? :slight_smile:

It is a cool light! Congrats!

Mjammie, that is a great light, and indeed a modders wet dream, a middle-of-the-road mod with xpg2 dedomed plus 3 extra acm7135 chips will make this light unbelievable!

The marking on the chips seem to be amc7135 F11045, which is not something I have seen before.

It is nicely focused and has a not very pronounced ring which will be easily taken care of with either black sharpie or flat black paint. I am not huge on beam shots but maybe i can get some up later. The spot size fully focused is 14cm at 3meters to the brightest part and 18cm at 3m as the spot starts to fade on the outer edges.

131Kcd is low by modded out standards but if you think about it, the xml2 is on an aluminum star bedded in some sort of gray colored thermal compound held down with a pressed collar at, who knows what, clamping force. So Sinkpad/Noctigon directly soldered to pill and stacked chips….OMG!

Most of you high Amp mod guys may find this a little strange but I am after less amps not more. WHAT? Yeah, my thing is night hunting with red, green, and IR/nightvision. Those emitters run between 1050mA and1.5A or so. The greenies you can get up to 2.2A or so but need 2x18650 to do it. Many modders will cry when I remove chips to get the oslons and xpe2 run good.

Thanks for the pictures! I have been wondering about these Wolf-Eyes lights, with their unique look (large aspheric lens in attack bezel). I did not realise this lens was removeable.

Seems to throw nice and focused, but some comparative beamshots would be helpful:

yes please… beamshots!! :smiley:

Thanks for the review kevind43. I'd be interested to see it after your mods and coloured leds in place. Looks like you will have to buy another two to get side by side comparisons.

Pouring rain here tonight. Beamshots will have to wait.

awesome!

so glad you posted.

been on the fence for awhile, but as soon as I saw those chips I new I had to have it.

for rough comparison, my dedomed xml2 7g5v2 does ~180k lux with DX lens and no front flat lens (stock driver)

shouldn’t be too hard to get the seal to double that. i just wish they’d made 1 and 2 cell capable

hello,Nicole
It looks like a cool light!But how long the batteries can last?

What does the head on that monster measure? I have a dereelight Xsearcher that has a large aspheric head but I believe this one is bigger. The Xsearcher has a 70mm head with an XP-G2. De-domed and driven at 5A it is a serious thrower at 477kcd. This Wolfeyes with the same treatment would probably be an even better thrower. Here is a pic of the Xsearcher next to my T20. The Wolfeye looks about 10mm or so larger.

one BIG aspheric :slight_smile: im looking forward to beamshots and seeing how this throws compared to other aspheric throwers. Coughs and trips over a Deft-X

Kevin thanks for the impressions and pictures,I tried without success to get a review sample of the seal.I understand that the beam can be adjusted with the aspheric head on,like a zoomie.Is this a flood to throw or does it just adjust to "fine tune" the beam?How do you like the Procap for mode changes?I am suprised to see no tapeswitch with this kit because the Wolf Eyes site shows one on a rifle mount.I think this Seal has great potential but there are certain pitfalls in modding a light this pricey and a lack of available parts.Sorry for all the questions but I'm like a kid in a candy store

(edit: i remembered wrong, LMAO)

It adjusts flood to throw just like the T20 and focuses the beam down very well, much like other aspheric lights. This light should be an easy mod for those who can stack chips, of course, there will be limits but we won’t know what the limits are until someone pushes it past those limits. Talking with a fella on another forum it seams that the dual tail cap switch available for this light operates the light in high only. That is the direction I will go with this light. With the dual switch tailcap and a custom copper pill the driver can be in the pill instead of the tail. making it a little easier to mod without cannabalizing the existing parts. On the other hand keeping some of circuitry in tail isn’t a bad idea just from a thermal standpoint. Keeping electronic components as far away from heat is not a bad thing. I personally like the function of the pro-cap. the pro-cap design will creat issue with modifications. I also certainly understand that this is an expensive light and not for everybody.

Finally a review of this boy is up and Thank You kevind43!

Same as the others I do think that the 132kcd is a bit low for such setup. It is screaming for serious mod!

$110 at German shop without Tax....(buyers from outside EU)

http://www.flashlightshop.de/product_info.php?products_id=8754&osCsid=1332997af69d597d6ab596a8c32932e4

They have many wolf eyes lights..seem to be of good quality. Some lights (older) are reasonably priced.

I would think that huge aspheric would really be honing the light into a beam that had throw. With my HD2010 doing 222Kcd, my Crelant 7G5 doing 250Kcd and the MAXToch SN6X-2X doing 365Kcd all from their stock reflectors…well, I’d expect at LEAST those kinds of numbers from such an aspheric.

I even just tweaked a friends DST for 222Kcd! Plastic reflector and lens included.