DIY flat pack portable power unit

SC-0217 1.0A DIY Mobile Power Bank PCB Board 1443600 $3.31
DIY Empty Mobile Power Bank Enclosure 1443721 $3.98

This battery from batteryspace.com
http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-ioncell37v2800mah525084-2c1036wh56arate.aspx
Polymer Li-Ion Cell: 3.7V 2800mAh (525084-2C, 10.36Wh, 5.6A rate) (0.84) 6.0 mm( thick) x 50.5mm (width) x 86mm ( length ) $8.95 and $7 shipping

Top, Bottom, Battery

Bottom and battery (inside battery compartment space drawn in for clarification)

Bent tabs before solder

Soldered tabs

Completed flat pack portable power unit

Overall, very fast charging and charges everything all my USB powered devices well, only about 1/4” thick. I did take a few strips of double sided tape stuck to the battery to prevent it from shifting around inside just in case

Yeah not the cheapest portable power unit, not the highest mAh rating either…but a complete DIY flat pack portable power unit and enjoying doing it myself…priceless

Nice build. That slim form factor seems like it would make the unit much easier to carry than the units I have.

Nice!

I take it that the casing is designed for use with a flat battery pack, but Fasttech does not have a suitable battery for it?

Looks nice. I think the flat form factor is in keeping with todays devices. Has the PCB for charge and discharge (charge devices) been tested? Would it be one that HJK would approve?

Nope…all they carry are round batteries, I had to get this one from another source after looking around, found the one closest to the size I needed and NOT costing crazy amounts

Actually the charge circuit is a TP4056 (U2), on the upper left corner of the board, and HKJ jas reviewed those…didn’t change the stock RProg resistor because the flat pack is more than capable of using 1A charge rate (but the chip might still get hot at 1A)

Saw your review posts on FT and thought that you may have created a thread on here …

Am going to do the same thing as I’ve been getting a few laptop pulls with these type of batteries, but what about sticking a mobile phone battery in there? Would the current draw too much for a mobile phone battery?

Unsure…those flat pack Li Po usually have a pretty decent C rating

Will this charge and discharge simultaneously? (ie can one have it charging whilst using it to charge another device?)

Thanks,

John.

The controllers are independent but it plays havoc on the charge pattern to the Li Ion if you draw power from the device while in use

I just tested it, yes, it will charge and run the USB out at the same time

I plugged the output port into my MVP ecig, and plugged in the micro USB to my computer, both had the charge doctors on them (different models so not sure on accuracy of current pull)
Out from computer into the unit (4.81vdc .86A) Out from the charger unit into the MVP (5.12vdc .48A [my MVP was almost full charge]) and the charge led is flashing

Nice build. Thank you for sharing it :-)

Nice project and build WarHawk-AVG. I did not know that power bank parts were available like that. So now there is power bank mods to be made, what next, ha ha.

Oh yeah…FT and DX has plenty of DIY power bank boards and housings (FT always seems to NOT have the daggum housing that matches the board though), that is why when I came across this one I went ahead and jumped on it to see if I could get it to work

Well if I knew enough on how to tweak em maybe trying to get the efficiency up….but as it stands this unit works fine…very flat

My kid dropped it though and popped the little clip holding the metal backing on, so now my pretty charger has a strip of scotch tape wrapped around it right below the black display sticker…fooey, kids…this is why we can’t have nice things :stuck_out_tongue:

I did find a pretty nifty little build from an electrical engineer here in Texas…made a very small SMD charger that is capable of pushing upwards of 3.6A and since it is a 2 layer board of 1.27x0.91 inches (32.36x23.04 mm) could figure out a way to make two of em in a 4 battery 1S4P battery bank and make my own

He called it the super booster, haven’t built one yet…but still pretty daggum cool
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/v8BhADlp
Here is his github project page

project page
http://longhornengineer.com/projects/pcb/super-boost-standalone/

Interesting. I assume the led’s indicate the battery condition?

Yes and charging status

So is it possible to limit the output current with a mod? Or is that something we can do by not shorting the USB data pins?

Possibly, if the device charging doesn’t see shorted data pins it might not pull the full current and self regulate down to 500mA, remember the charging device determines the current needed. The flat pack is capable of pushing approx 1A (the volts sag quite a bit the closer it gets to 1A output [per the charge doctor readings])
5.11vdc no load, 4.89 at .89A