Test/Review of USB battery box 4x18650 Huamen/Evertones ET-406

Thanks for the review, I have to order one especially with this price :bigsmile:
weird thing is… if you add more than one, the price goes up to the same amount as no discount…
I guess I just have to create 2 separate orders :smiley:
and you have to pay $2 tracking fee if you want your goods to arrive safely :stuck_out_tongue: ( no drama )

OK…Got it

Long time lurker, first time poster here

I have an ENB battery box, which I bought based on HKJ review. It works perfect for my needs with about half a dozen batteries I own. The only drawback - it's too bulky for a 2-battery box.
After reading this (another excellent) review of Evertones box I decided to buy it from gearbest. After 30 days it arrived this Friday.
Unfortunately, I got a defective unit.
It takes charge from the wall outlet and LED works as described - no problems here. The problems begin after it fully charged - all 3 LED are steady.
I disconnect the wall charger and press the button - instead of all LED to be lit for some time, they blink for a split second and go OFF.
I connect my phone - nothing happens, press the button - nothing, hold the button - nothing again...
The box doesn't give charge!

The same thing happens with different amount of batteries, different kind of batteries, different charge level of the batteries, different phones - the box doesn't work!

The same batteries work without problems in my ENB box.

As I see from this thread, a few of you guys bought this Evertones box. Do you have problems with it, do you get it to work?

Sorry for a long rant :-)

I don’t quite understand this part of your Conclusion:

“The missing turn off on the charger means that it is important to disconnect the box from power when it is full (Not the same second it is full, but within a few hours), to get the maximum battery lifetime or charge the batteries in another charger.”

and

“the turn off is not working correctly (it is to sensitive and the box will start charging again).”
and 12 and a half hours, to get a full charge on four cells.

So — what happens if you fail to turn it off “within a few hours” — worst case?

I don’t recall any charger that fails to stop charging being considered acceptable, and a box with four unprotected li-ions is a bit scary.

If this were an ordinary charger, I’d think you’d want to operate it on a concrete slab outdoors and watch it steadily, not plug it in casually indoors and try to remember to come back after about 13 or 14 hours.

Usual there is nothing dangerous with it, not more than leaving any charger connected to power.

Today many LiIon batteries are run through some tests to be sure that they do not exploded. These test include stuff like charging to a voltage well above 4.2 volt and also shorting a full charged battery.

But the constant charging will wear your batteries down.

Sorry, I have removed it. You can try if it still works: GBspecial0501

I like the design and I like that it uses 4 18650 batteries. I don’t like that the built in ‘charger’ part of it doesn’t behave properly. Why do almost all of these things have little ‘bugs’ in them? This isn’t exactly rocket science.

The main purpose of this "Charger box" is to "charge". I wouldn't call it a little bug when this part of it (the main part) is not working

The main purpose is to charge attached equipment, especially when you are without access to mains power. The batteries in the box can easily be removed and charged on a real battery charger.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but that's exactly what I ment

They maybe you misinterpreted his conclusions? It seems to work just fine in delivering up to 2A current output. It’s just when recharging the batteries in the box itself that it has a small issue. The charging circuit seems to sensitive to voltage drops in the batteries and will restart charging them too soon. His recommendation is to disconnect the input cable in a reasonable amount of time, as opposed to leaving it plugged in overnight or longer. This is not a safety issue, but will wear out the batteries faster due to the frequent recharge cycles when already near full capacity.

KuoH

Please, read again my original post #16 in this thread...

I have no problems charging batteries in the box. The problem is that the box doesn't charge any "attached equipment" (phone) - there is no current/voltage output

That sounds like a defective box, usual a press on the button will show the battery status for a few seconds.

Do you have some other usb equipment you can charge, the phone might be picky with the usb coding?

But you responded in post #16 to this post…

That post, is in response to the general idea of these back up phone chargers in that they all have some design fault or another. Not one, or at least not many, are perfectly built. It was not in response to your dud unit.

Can you see where the confusion starts?

Then you were a bit unclear, since you were responding to a post referring to a bug with the internal charger.

KuoH

From my original post #16: "The same thing happens with different amount of batteries, different kind of batteries, different charge level of the batteries, different phones - the box doesn't work!"

The "Charger Doctor" doesn't show current/voltage output

The same batteries work without problems in my ENB box.

And that's why I think I received a "defective unit"

You might need to get a USB charger doctor and see if the output voltage is too high, one of my portable power units I have (the one I built myself) I hook up the charger doctor to it…it says 5.15vdc and it won’t charge my phone (unless I use a specific cord [odd I know]) when charging the voltage sags down to 4.97 and stays there with an approx .47A draw. Funny thing is…it will charge EVERYTHING else except my phone without that one particular cable)

The voltage starts too high and the device being charged won’t start charge because output is too high

All my other chargers start at 5vdc ± .4-.5vdc (so low is sometimes like 4.97vdc, high is 5.05vdc)

As I mentioned one post above yours, "The "Charger Doctor" doesn't show current/voltage output". It's blank. And yes, it's working fine everywhere else I connect it to.

Anyway, I contacted gearbest and look forward to hearing from them

I purchased two of these Huamen/Evertone ET-406 power banks from Gearbest after HKJs review.
They arrived 2 days ago, almost 7 weeks after ordering.

To begin with the end: both are defective, one DOA, one self-destructed on first full charge cycle.
Gearbest ticket opened yesterday, no response so far. Paypal dispute will be filed tomorrow (to meet 45 days deadline).
Together with zebroo’s case in #16 that makes 3 failures.

In detail:

The DOA box doesn’t charge the batteries. Doesn’t signal charging state with the LEDs, and input current is only some 10mA. I measured this with a charger doctor and with professional equipment in an electronics lab (my workplace). On one short occurence there were 1.3A input current (too much, 1.0A is normal) for about a minute, but I wasn’t able to reproduce this.
It also doesn’t deliver output current - that is, it does, but switches off after a few seconds. It also doesn’t signal “output current flowing” with the LEDs. Tested with 0,5A, 1A, 2A output current.
I suspected maybe a bad solder joint, opened it, but couldn’t find anthing looking suspicious.

The second box worked perfectly at first, charging and discharging as tested by HKJ.
In the lab I charged 4 batteries from almost full (4.0V) to full (4.18V), and discharged with 2.1A output current (electronic ballast). No problems. Worked fine, LEDs giving correct signals for charging and discharging.
Back home I started recharging the empty batteries (3.3V) on a 5V wall plug with USB power monitor. The monitor showed 5.05V 0.98A. The wall plug is high quality (no cheap crap).
After about an hour I smelled smoke, and lookin up noticed the power bank’s blue LEDs and the USB monitor’s display going on and off. The box constantly drove the power supply into overcurrent shutdown and restarted. I pulled the plug, opened the lid and removed the batteries. The front part of the box was quite hot. The batteries were okay (not hot, about 3.65V).
I opened the box and found burnt components (2 of the 4 battery switch transistors plus resistors) and brown traces of smoke on the inside of the lower lid. (I have photos if I find a way to post them.)

PS: I used 4x unprotected Samsung ICR18650-32A and LG18650-D1 for testing.

imgur.com
You can upload images without an account.