Mini DQG 26650 MT-G2

I had a lot of fun with this one! :bigsmile:

Tail cap readings on Protected 4000mAh King Kongs:
Stock driver.
Low:?? Around 2-4 lumens?
Medium: 170 mA
High: 700mA
Turbo: 2.93A !!!

It was slightly lower on 26700, which does fit. It may pull a tad more on lower resistance IMR’s?

Low

Medium

High

Turbo stock @ 1.5A (LED)

Turbo @ 2.6A (LED)

Turbo @3.1A (Led)

DQG 26650 CW V.2 Turbo

Now it deserves a new name… DQG MT-G2 MPR! (Mini Pocket Rocket)

A few pictures of how I made a ring to hold the TIR. The dimensions will most likely be different in every light, but the idea is to move the TIR as far as possible from the led base.

Oh how exciting!

-Where did you get the lens from
-Is it a direct swap?
-Is it brighter than the standard XPG2 setup when you compare the same modes?

I wanna do this cool!

Very cool! Which driver did you use?

-Garry

I bought the TIR’s from Digikey. They are 30mm vs the stock 35mm and a lot deeper, so the stock pill had to be bored out and a new one made with a counterbore for the driver.
The stock driver is happily running the 6v MT-G2 and is surprisingly brighter and runs cooler than the the stock XP-G2’s. Low is lower, medium is about the same, high is higher and turbo seems a lot brighter.

I was able to run turbo 6 times (3min) before the head temperature reached 100F (38C).

Just did 10 turbo runs and recorded led vf.
Vf on low: 3.93
Medium: 5.29
High: 5.54
Then the turbo runs.
Battery start: 3.94v (KG 4000mAh protected)
Turbo run end voltage (5.97 start)
1: 5.93
2: 5.90
3: 5.93
4: 5.92
5: 5.91
6: 5.90
7: 5.89
8: 5.88
9: 5.87
10: 5.86

Ending battery voltage: 3.86v

So the output is definitely falling, just not as fast as I expected. It was definitely warm by the end of the test, but not SRK hot!

So just to clarify, you put this on a lathe? Dammit that rules out me!

Do you think it can be done without the use of a lathe somehow?

I think i remember searching for this lens in Australia and they were exorbitant.

I see a new group buy, quick contact cnqualitygoods.com This is the light I already want two of. Really a single cell driven MT-G2. Comfychair said it should work. DQG 26650 driver hacking And you pulled it off so congraduations. More copper, thicker body tube and WOW what this could really do. rjorge only 14 post and you post this, really looking forward to your future post and builds.

The interface on the first generation is a bit lacking though. Instant on (good) 2 second hold for off (bad). You learn to live with it i guess.

Very nice. I wish I could build one like this, or that Ric would sell a variation like this.

Must be the smallest MT-T2 light i seen so far. :slight_smile: its interesting that the stock driver will run the 6-volt emitter on the single cell.

I used a lathe, but you may get creative with a Dremel and a drill and pull this off! I have burnt a few Dremels before I bought a Sherline. :slight_smile:

I don’t like the 2s off, should be hold for moon, double for turbo, memory and instant off/on. Am I asking for too much?? Oh and triple for awesome strobe… Recessed switch too…

I have a few other builds I’ll post when I get some more time.

If anybody wants more details, in case you want to build one like it, just ask and I’ll do my best to help out.

where do I place my order??

first class work!

groupbuy? :smiley:

You’re not asking too much. I just can’t get my head around why the designers thought 2 second off was necessary.
Could you post up a pic of the bored out parts/custom parts?

I think the Carclo lens are these here Optics For LEDs | Carclo Optics

Really cool build! Well thought out and done, thanks for posting.

(now I want lathe/workshop/lots of time for doing great things like this)

Love to see the other builds, did you make pictures in the process?

If it had instant on/off, how would you get mode changes?

Finally, a single cell MT-G2 option! And it looks fantastic!

Thank you so much for showing this and making me spend more money that I don’t have! :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it a boost driver in that light? I haven’t heard of a boost driver that works for the MT-G2 off a single cell before… but I’m rather new at this which could explain why.

Is that with the original driver?