BEAMSHOTS - Jax Z1 - MT-G2 with FET Driver Build

Well I liked the look of the Jax Z1 when I first saw it released. At the time I had just bought the UF-1405 and after modding that it wasn’t really what I wanted. So I sold that light on here and purchased the Jax Z1 from Banggood.

I stripped it down when it first arrived and put the lens in a safe covered spot so no fingerprints or dirt gets on it.

I haven’t bothered with any photos of the light in stock form as there are a few reviews out there with those pictures. I will mention though that the epoxy they used to glue the star to the pill was some bloody strong stuff! I didn’t bother trying to pick it out and instead opted to just hit it from the inside with a blow torch until the epoxy basically turned to ash and fell out. The star and emitter were useless to me anyway. I then gave the surface a quick hit with some fine sandpaper and some polish. I will do it again before I actually assemble it properly.

I have decided for now that I want to retain the black retaining plate which sits over the emitter. I will have to see how the beam looks once it is all together however for now I am thinking it will really improve the beam as it will cut out any reflections. So I went about modding the plastic locating ring which locates into the metal plate. I didn’t want to butcher the one supplied with it so I used a white plastic one I had and will paint it with exhaust manifold black once I am happy with it. I first tried with a drill but it broke because it became too thin. I then used a carbide grinding tip on my dremel and did it by hand…

I then sanded it down on both sides until I felt that it was as thin as it could be whilst still allowing me to solder the wires under the metal plate…

I decided I wanted to hold the star down with some screws to ensure the best possible thermal transfer aside from soldering it to the pill. So I marked the holes and using my not so fancy dremel drill press and some 1.6mm carbide drill bits I bought for it, I drilled a couple of holes and ran an M2x0.4 tap down them.

I found the screws were hitting the edge of the pill so I got my trusty carbide grinding tip out again and made a couple of small recesses for the screw heads. A couple of M2x5 countersunk screws and it was looking good.

Next was the switch. A pretty standard arrangement so I just added a double run of some No. 2 Chemtools copper braid to the spring.

That’s it for now… I am playing the waiting game for the driver now. I have ordered a Zener modded BLF22DD from Richard at Mountain Electronics which should drop in perfectly. I don’t think 18AWG will fit under the metal plate so I will be using my 20AWG silver teflon wire which is nice and thin but will hopefully carry some decent current.

I will be using some MNKE 26650s. Unsure on how they would compare to something like the Sony or Efest, but hopefully they can supply some decent current.

So stay tuned, I will update when the driver arrives!

Tim

UPDATE - 10/11/14

Well the driver arrived a while ago now; it’s a BLF22DD Zener modded from MTN Electronics with custom modes. However, I haven’t had any time to work on this recently because I’m nearing the end of my uni semester so I have a lot of assignments to get done.

But anyway, today I had some free time so I went and saw my mate who has a machine shop. I had some leftover 3/4” Copper bar from a triple build I did a while ago. So I got him to face it for me and then cut a 5mm piece off of it.

This came out at about 13g or 0.5oz. Not a lot of copper but it is better than nothing and about the biggest I could fit inside the pill whilst still leaving room for the driver and wires to fit in!

I then used my carbide tip on the Dremel and cut some slots in the edges to make way for the wires and the screws to come through, not the neatest job because it kept jumping but it has done the trick. I then cut some pieces of solder and put them in the pill then hit it with my blow torch and soldered the copper disc to the underneath of the star shelf.

My plan is to cut some of those white thermal pads that you get from FT, IOS etc so they fit in between the driver and the copper chunk. Although I am not sure if this will be necessary or not as I believe the FET drivers don’t produce much heat anyway??

IT WORKS

So it caused me some headaches this morning, I tested the set up before I installed it into the light, then I tested the pill on its own once that was assembled, then I assembled the light turned it on and…. nothing! Damn! So I took the pill out again and tried it on its own and it was working… Tested continuity across the switch and it was working. So I started pulling apart the light. I noticed on the join at the extension tube there wasn’t a clean surface where the two halves meet. Some anodizing was there still. So I scraped all that off and checked continuity through the body and now it is working! It’s mid morning here so I won’t be able to get beam shots until tonight, however it looks pretty awesome during the day and it certainly generates a LOT of heat!

I measured the tailcap current with some MNKE 26650s which had been left to sit for about 10 minutes after taking them off charge. It settles at about 8.15-8.20A which is a little less than I was expecting but nevertheless I am very happy with the result. I think it isn’t pulling higher perhaps because of the cells? Maybe some Sony 26650s might go harder.

Anyway, the final steps which I did this morning were…

I opened out the hole in the middle of my spacer just a fraction more to allow for the paint so it didn’t get scraped off. I then painted it using some matte black exhaust manifold paint. This stuff is awesome as it laughs at the heat that this light could generate plus it as as matte as a blackboard.

Next I assembled the pill. I used some 20AWG silver plated teflon wire as it is VERY thin in comparison to the silicone sleeved wire. This was necessary because of the clearance I had to the emitter surround. I flattened out the wires, bent the end and soldered it to the star before installing it into the pill. Next I used some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, put a little blob in the middle of the pill shelf, pressed the star down and gave it a twist from side to side to ensure the thermal paste had good coverage and was nice and thin.

Next I installed the driver, this was extremely fiddly as I wanted to keep the wires as short as possible. Because of the teflon sleeve they are no where near as flexible as the silicone and so they don’t coil up nicely inside the pill. Anyways, I pushed the wires down the side of the copper heatsink and then soldered them on to the driver and got a very good solder joint. I pushed the driver down and put the retaining ring back in. It was great to be able to re-use that ring as it made installation much easier and made the whole thing look neater!

I didn’t get a photo of it but I also covered the wires on the star with some kapton tape just for extra precaution.

I then put it all back in the light…

Well that’s it until tonight when I can get some beam shots. I am very happy with how it has turned out, and I am glad I took the extra time to fit the screws to the pill and retain the metal surrounding plate, I think it really finishes the light off whilst also being very functional.

Okay, so you will have to forgive me as these beamshots aren’t very good. I looked around on here and used some settings which people had recommended in other beamshot threads

So the settings were ISO400, F4.0, Shutter = 1” on the up close shots and 1.3” on the distance ones.

Slightly zoomed in….

The tree is about 80m away according to google maps and would be at least 25-30m high I would think

10A+ ---

Yes please!

Nice mod! I hope that the beam will be goodlooking, it will be impressive for sure!

Damn, that's some real fine work you're doing there LSX. Love the locator ring mod. Top notch.

I have a length of 3/4” copper bar which fits nicely inside the back of the pill. So once I know how much clearance I have to the driver I am going to get the face turned down on a lathe and then cut as thick of a piece as I have room for and solder it to the back of the star shelf. I figure any extra heatsinking will be worthwhile!

Thanks for all the comments!

I hope so! 8)

Only quickly read over the OP, do you plan to dedome? Nice looking mod, I dont want to support JAX but I do really want one of these lights!

I noticed you removed the silicone from around the base of the MT, do you do this on all your MT builds or only thin one cause the centering ring set’s down on it? I love the MT, not comparing it to the dinosaur SST’s in any way but I sure wish the base of the MT was done like one the SST’s with the metal surround that was much more durable!

Yeah that’s interesting Cereal. I just learned something :slight_smile: So cut off the excess around the mt-g2 if you have a reflector sitting on it. I had that excess show up in my first build it kind of grinds itself off

Very nice. Its a shame it does not snow in Perth. This would make a good snow melter. You will have to settle for warming the ocean where you swim.

Yes please!

Be advised- the base of the MT IS NOT ISOLATED, each is the sides is electrically connected to anode and cathode! I remove the silicone from it cause it seems to keep more damage from happening (when this is done I’ve never had a dome pop off in its own from heat, before I started doing it I did have that happen, so has RMM) but you MUST electrically isolate it if you do this and have a metal / conductive reflector. I use Kapton sheet or this new* super thin fiberglass material for exactly that use (HV electrical isolation).

*edit: fiber glass sheet is not a new product, just new to me, found it inside a 1000w HID ballast I took apart.

Nope, no plans for de-doming it. I have seen a de-domed 5000k MT-G2 and it is a bit warm for my liking. How come you don’t like JAX? This is the only light I have seen from them?

I cut the silicone off with a razor blade and you are right, this is the first time I have done it and it is because of the centreing ring. Cutting it off allowed me to get the metal retaining plate to sit lower down on the emitter without having to sand the centreing disc even thinner as it was becoming fragile. Also, I didn’t want to start screwing the retaining plate down and have the centreing start tearing at the silicone, so I just used a razor blade and cut it all off.

Thanks for the comments guys!

They stomped on a group buy because the dealer wasn't charging enough for their taste. Known as illegal price-fixing in some jurisdictions.

The inter-webs allows much carp.

Ohhhhh I didn’t realise that. I bought mine before the group buys so I didn’t pay a lot of attention to them after that.

FWIW they also make a mini C8 (still an 18650 light, but much smaller) that I also really liked. I am still interested in picking up a Z1 at some point even with them being all MAP crazy (which a new company should not be aloud to get away with) but I lost all interest in the mini-C8 after that ordeal.

Anyway I’ll leave it at that, wont mess up your thread with it, nice build, keep it up. You haven’t showed us the body, will you be running an extension for 2x26650 or a single cell config with 2x18350? I really like how short the light is in single cell config and how it looks zoomed out.

That’s fair enough. I hate manufactures who enforce map.

Anyway, I have bought the extension tube and plan to run 2x 26650 mainly because if I do see 10A, a couple of little 18350s won’t last long. However I am getting my mate who is a machinist to make me a perfect fitting reducer sleeve out of this nylon type plastic he uses for machining so I can run some 18350s just for the sake of it.

Delrin?

That does sound familiar. I will find out for sure what it is when I get it done.

Thanks man… I’ll have to pick some of that up

Hi, er, when taking the Z1 apart, did you have any trouble getting the pill out?

I’m trying to unscrew the pill, or unscrew the black retaining plate at least, and it gets really stuck after about one turn. I managed to bend my tools trying to get it to turn farther.

At a guess, it looks like the black plate might be glued onto the pill or star, and might perhaps have different threading than the pill. So, they turn in sync. It turns easily at first, but rapidly gets difficult and stuck.

So, I’m looking for advice on getting past that, to get the pill out.