Code now public! BLF A6 FET+7135 Light. Short 18350 tubes and Unanodized Lights Available

Me too!

I think that with a FET driver you will know when you want to charge cells.

Thanks,
-Chuck

I think battery check is an impressive feature. I don’t have any lights that can do that now.

Looking at it logically, the first option would make more sense to the most users, who dont know/care/want to know about battcheck, and it really defeats the purpose of having turbo in those modes, why not just keep going up then and forget about instant turbo? (which I dont think is a good idea either)

Also, think about it this way: if you really want to get into batt check a lot, you can easily remember how many clicks and having a few more clicks is really going to make no difference to the functionality, you dont need fast access and it wont matter if you miss it and have to go again…oh darn, have to wait a few seconds more to check the battery. If you really want a fast turbo access, making it that far down almost negates fast turbo, you dont want to have to think how many clicks in the first place, plus it will matter if you miss it.

So even if there is a larger proportion of people who’d like faster battery check, it wouldn’t change the functionality, while if you hide “fast turbo access” down the line, you’ve ruined the functionality and it isnt fast turbo access anymore.

“Hey that aggressive animal is coming towards me, better blind him with…f**k, why did my light go off/flash?” vs “I want to check my battery, OMG I had to press the button a couple more times, such an imposition”

Also, the other argument is kind of non-logical/functional too: would you really rather have the batt check function show slightly more or slightly less voltage? I’m sure anyone using it actually wants to know how much use they have, not have an inflated number, so a “burst of turbo” lowering it is not a big deal either.

I’d like to have access to go back and forth from turbo, I actually use that. Batt check…once in a long while on a light that has it, at the start of a hike or usage, and it wouldnt matter if I had to click a few more times ever.

How many of you actually USE this UI right now? I’ve been using it for a while and I can say that the reverse into Turbo has caused a blinding situation many times. And at night, to check the battery in the field, you have to hit that blast of power first. PITA. Typically, batt check does nothing in that first split second so bumping a long press again is a split second away from Turbo with zero affects on the eyes, nobody sees any blinky modes if you’re trying to show off.

Not to mention, if you’re really wanting Turbo that bad you can engage last mode memory and have it come on in Turbo when you turn the light on. When you’re done playing around, disengage mode memory and rest assured your’e not going to accidentally get blinded.

With about 15 lights running this UI, that’s my take. Of course others will have a different use for a light than I do and perceptions will vary.

Turbo first.

But really, I’d rather it just wrap around to normal turbo and have the hidden modes accessed some other way.

I'd rather have battery check first.

One more NW light for me, 3 total pls.

BTW, it’s also possible to swap battcheck and the bike flasher, which would make battcheck one level easier to access without interfering with turbo or strobe. This might improve things a little. I know I usually want to check the battery before going for a ride, so it even kind of simplifies the process for biking.

Also, the initial wait on battcheck was removed because it kind of looks like it’s not doing anything and can initially be mistaken for moon mode during the day. So, it should light up almost immediately now instead of waiting a second.

When I want to skip turbo I just press the head of the light into my thigh as I click past it.

FWIW, if you go to “hidden” turbo and leave it on, it will eventually step down to the normal high mode. If this isn’t bright enough, a quick tap will then move it to the non-hidden turbo.

About other ways of accessing hidden modes, there are only so many ways to respond to having the power cut and restored. It’s not like an e-switch where the light can stay on while the button is pressed. The other common method is the EagleTac method, looping through the regular modes twice before going to the blinky modes… but this is already used for entering config mode, and it would make the hidden modes very inconvenient to access. Fifteen taps to access strobe? May as well not have a strobe mode.

It’s all open though. If you want it to work differently, the code and tools are available and the driver is easy to pull out and reflash. :slight_smile:

I prefer Batt check myself. I prefer to get to turbo the usual way.

I like being able to go straight to turbo while showing the light to other people, or when briefly bursting to shine extra-bright on a distant object… but OTOH having it so easy to access tends to result in temporary blindness a little too often. One of the most common things people do when I hand them a light is:

• turn it on
  • aim it at their face to see if it’s on; notice that it’s in moon mode
  • fully click to turn it off
  • fully click to turn it on
  • scream as the full force of turbo punches them in the face

It’s nice when I want to surprise or impress someone, but not so nice when it happens by accident.

I could go either way on this; it’s both a blessing and a curse. I wanted to find out what others think though, and let popular demand decide.

Well minus you testers and those with the ability to flash chips, no one….

To me, and this is all about opinion anyway, I would use turbo more than batt check from my experiences. I am not denigrating your experience by stating this, please understand this.

If it came down to leaving one of these out (thanks to ToyKeepers incredible coding skills, this is only a straw argument) my vote would be for batt check. I use turbo, and could do without the check feature, I usually have an extra battery anyway.

You HAVE to admit though TK, when that happens (and yes it happens frequently) it’s funny as he! Even if you have to keep the laughter inside…

4500 lumen Quad, BAM In Yo Face! (my fav X6 EDC)

Well, I haven’t used it yet no, but I still see it as pretty simple: if you have a multi step “fast access turbo” thats well, two clicks of double or more press length difference than going through the modes, there is no point to it. Its like having a waiting merge lane to get directly into the fast lane on the freeway…no thanks, I’ll just change lanes more quickly and get there.

A few shocked bits of light for someone who doesn’t remember to press the light into their thigh to check battery (times ten million) is also not equivalent to one rare circumstance of a person trying to fumble to find turbo from moon to light up an advancing person/animal/car. I have actually wanted to switch to turbo quite a few times and try to use it this way, I could have used a quick turbo switch, once as a warning to someone advancing on me and my dogs quickly not seeing me and my dogs with moon on (somehow, dont ask me how he didnt see me), a car almost hitting me crossing the street (I ended up turning my light off trying to avoid them and switch to turbo with 4 presses quickly instead), another car starting to go into the crosswalk but I was already in turbo and shown it at him and he slammed on the brakes…there are some serious uses of it that very much outweigh a split second of light that may be unpleasant for a second if you forget, but that’s if you actually use the light outside on the streets and trails, if you don’t you wont see the use I guess.

You should be walking with more visible light anyway then, instead of moon. Here, if you’re walking or riding a bike at night and not illuminated plainly you can/will get a ticket. I find it hard to understand how a driver with headlights could miss seeing you and your dogs, flashlight in hand or none. They have an ultimate responsibility as well, but this is 2015 and I digress…

Not really any different than not knowing your gun and failing to remove the safety in a crisis situation. Ultimately it’s up to the user to know his tools. And yes, things happen fast and with too many options (take care of self, dogs, alert driver) a panic situation can prevail and does in most cases like that. Not sure there’s a single solidly good answer for those situations. Glad you’re still here to tell us about it though. :wink:

Edit: TK, just leave it alone and everyone will learn how to use it as is, moon to turbo in a blink. :slight_smile:

Don’t get carried away with that “user error” stuff :P, when I was in moon it was a dark trail offroad, this was a crazy trail runner and that wasnt life or death, he probably would have descended and crashed into me or tripped over my dogs, how did he not see moon?? Or maybe he didnt care thinking he could run by me and not expecting dogs too. I almost never use moon, certainly not on the streets. Don’t ask me why, but drivers still dont pay any attention sometimes, and a shot of turbo directly at them wakes them up. :wink: I don’t always like to be in turbo on the streets though, it wastes battery. *Actually come to think of it, what I’d like most of all is really just an instant access turbo from any position. Its true turbo from moon use would be rare, but maybe we should eliminate “fast” turbo if you are going to put it further down the cycle, its usage disappears when you make it just as fast to access by clicking quickly 4x vs “fast” 2 slow clicks…

Besides, if we want to talk user error, who cant be bothered to put the light to their thigh to prevent a half second of turbo? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, sometimes it’s hard not to laugh, especially if I warned them.

Like one day with a pair of old SCSI hard drive magnets. It was my new toy so of course I had them with me and was fidgeting with them. A friend wanted to see it, so I said okay, just remember that they’re very very strong and you should absolutely not get them near any electronics or small body parts. Handed them over one at a time, being careful to keep them apart from each other, and went back to focusing on the road. I was driving. About ten seconds later I heard a raw, shocked scream of agony, and turned to see him pulling something away from his bleeding earlobe.

At least he had the good sense to laugh at himself afterward. :slight_smile:

:smiley:

Guess some can only learn from experience.

Ouch, pancake ear or removed ear stud?

Pancake ear. Removed a bit of skin.

Magnetic force increases with the inverse cube of distance, so the pull is exponentially stronger when the pieces are extremely close together. In this case, just one was strong enough that the only way for a human to remove it from a sheet of metal or another magnet was to slide it off the edge, and even that was hard. With two together, it would probably exert 150kg of force on whatever was between, so it’d feel about like having your earlobe stepped on by the steel boot of a large man.