FastTech Pocket Clip shrink wrap "mod"

So anyway, I like my FastTech C20 host build: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1618/10002463/1198400-18650-diy-edc-led-flashlight-host-with-switch-refl

...and it's made so much better by the addition of a pocket-clip: http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003916/1281100-stainless-steel-clip-attachment-add-on

Only problem is:

1. I'm paranoid about the piece of steel outside of my pocket scratching things as I bump into them.
  2. I am concerned about the metal wearing through the fabric in my jeans.
  3. I don't like the clip scratching the tube on my flashlight.

Enter the Heat Shrink Tubing!

With the clip off the light, I cut a piece of 3/8" tubing and slid it over the clip. I heated it thoroughly, then pressed it between two pieces of closed-cell packing material foam I had on hand. This pressed it into the cut-outs on the clip, and secures it from sliding off the tapered clip. I trimmed the end and dressed it with an emory board to finish. I'm very happy with the results.

<update>

Well, it only lasted about four months. I recently noticed that the edge of the tubing was starting to split. I really like the protection the wrap offers, so I'll be pulling the clip and re-applying some fresh heat shrink. I really like the plasti-dip option, but I don't want to buy a full-size can to dip a single pocket clip...

<Update again>

I re-applied the heat shrink tubing using the same method, this time I applied a double-layer which is working well so far. I hope that this makes it last longer this time...

Nice!

Looks kinda neat, I wonder how well it will hold up to daily wear and tear. Years ago I used Plasti Dip on the clip of one of my knives. I ended up trading the knife though so I never found out how well it lasted.

I like it. Thanks for showing.

Do they make plastidip in black?

Yup

Cool!

Awesome mod…good job!

Put some blue locktite on the screw threads…they do come unscrewed (ask me how I know :frowning: )

Cool idea