Dewalt lithium pack pulls

I found a Dewalt 18V XRP Lithium pack in the recycle bin at my workplace a while back. Held together with security bit torx screws...

Pulled it apart to find some yellow-wrapped 18650 cells:

12 total in the pack:

I wasn't familiar with a yellow-wrapped cell so I checked the printing in the wrapper:

...and found the data sheet here:

http://www.ax-ps.com/pdf/datenblatt/LR1865_AM.pdf

Lishen 1100mAh 18650: "- Maximum Discharge Current 20 C, 25 C (30 s) "

I haven't had opportunity to completely pull the pack apart and test each of the cells, but I metered a couple and found that they were still within an acceptable voltage range, so they aren't all flat dead. I don't have any way to verify actual capacity though.

<edit>I just found the manufactur date stamped inside the plastic base of the pack; it's a three-year-old pack, so I don't know how much life these will have. Drill packs tend to go with a run-flat/recharge/run-flat cycle. Unless the package management has a really good early-shutoff circuit to keep the cells from being over-discharged, I would imagine these have seen some abuse.

With all the packs I find in the recycle bin I never have come across a lithium DeWalt. I guess that could mean that they are either not popular (they are) or they are very robust.

Just yesterday I found 2 brand new never been used Milwakee Red Lithium. In perfect shape, another Milwakee brand new sitting at 0V (NO Good), a brand new Ryobi 12v completely flat and a brand new Kobalt completely flat. These all came from the same recycle bin at HD. What I can’t figure out is, WTH is a brand new Kobalt (Lowes) doing in a HD recycle bin

From the first look i thought they were a123 cells since they look similar.

They must have taken over after their bankruptcy. Anyway, remember these are LiFePO4 cells, so 3.6V at full charge, 3.2 V nominal. They are rated for more cycles than other chemistries, so you may still be in luck.

Hmmm.... So a 3.6V full charge is going to limit the utility of these. I probably better not throw these in my TrustFire charger to test...

So at 3.6V, it will be right at the Vf of the LEDs, so not suitable for a single-cell light. No need for the crazy-high current in a series-connected multi-cell light.

Are these useful for anything flashlight related? Low capacity, low voltage?

The fact there were 12 in an 18V pack went right over my head. IMR packs have 10 per double capacity 18V pack. Keep those cells, they could come in VERY handy some day.

They can work ok with flashlights, but not as bright performance as other batts. Conversely, you can use them in direct drive fairly well. Another perk of the chemistry is they hold the 3.2V up until they are out of juice. Avoid going below 2 V for battery health, which again coincides well with direct driving an LED. People like using 4S LiFePO4 as a replacement for 12 V lead acid in some applications as well (and start cars with them). I’m sure you’ll find something to use them in, and they are often regarded as tougher cells than standard chemistry (1000 cycles).

...but I'll have to buy a different charger just to use these...

True, most hobby chargers have that setting, and there are several chargers that have 3.6 V settings. Or you can just send me the cells :wink:

I've picked my share of recycle bins and have also never found a lithium DeWalt pack. This is too bad as the newer 4Ah DeWalt packs are reported to have 2000mah samsungs. On the other hand I now know what brand of cordless tools to buy.

I just realized that my TrustFire charger actually does have the lower voltage setting option. I can work on getting this pack broken down and start testing cells this evening.

Looks like Lishen started licensing A123’s 18650 stuff back in 2009 (2yr before the bankruptcy filing). The deal could be off now or who knows?!?

“In October 2009, we entered into a Supply and License Agreement with Tianjin Lishen Battery Joint-Stock Co. Ltd., or Lishen, under which Lishen licenses our proprietary manufacturing process and cell design for the 18650 cells on a non-exclusive basis for a three-year term.”

You took the words out of my mouth. :slight_smile:

These cells may do very well in high-drain boost applications. … granted that we don’t really have any high drain boost applications for them yet, but it may be coming. All these new high-voltage parts are pretty tempting (MT-G2, XHP50, XHP70, and others). To get the voltage up there there in single cell lights though, big boost drivers are needed.

Also they may be good for extremely high current (many emitter?) red emitter flashlights.

After I said that I remembered that DeWalt STILL sells a lot of NiCad cordless drills. Believe it or not, a lot of contractors prefer the NiCads as they can withstand much more abuse. Lithiums will die if not cared for and maybe those same contractors have had bad experiances. Also they do not appreciate the fact that a Lithium will shut off without warning. (The protection circuit kicking in)
In fact my first Lithium was a 12V Ridgid that I though had a defective switch because it was behaving “strangely” It is a little embarrassing thinking back on it.
When a Lithium cuts out with out warning, it can really be upsetting.