A123 18650 bought from fasttech and a123rc.com ARE DIFFERENT!! which one is fake?

hi, i ordered some lifepo 18650 for the first time.Firstly i ordered here from fasttech.

1. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002801/1208601-a123-systems-18650-lifepo4-1200mah-high-discharge

but i was not sure about the quality of the cell because i saw that battery voltage decreased from 3.6v charged within minuts or hours to 3,3v. so i ordered from a different seller ( i think trusted) another bunch of batteries from a123rc.com

2) a123rc.com - Informationen zum Thema a123rc.

now i let you see the pictures of the 2 kind of cells. Also the minus pole as you can see is DIFFERENT. fasttech one is totally FLAT.

LEFT SIDE —> a123rc(without back bar code) RIGHT SIDE —> fasttech
ps: i performed a test with my opus c3100 and BOTH batteries were about 1100 mah, fasttech ones little higher 1200/1250mah.

Huh. Look at the positive end of the battery on the right side in your last photo. Do you see corrosion in there?

I got six from FT that match the photos you have — coarser pixels on the printing, and the exact text and numbers.
Of those I got from FT, all six had corrosion — brownish red crusty stuff — around the outside edge under the rim.
Looks to me like you may have the same thing on yours.
FT gave me full credit for them after I sent them pictures of all six, closeups of the problem.

I wonder if FT has an older batch, as they say theirs came out of equipment.

Well, well — it’s always useful to Google, I wish I’d remembered:

http://www.a123batteries.com/ link looks legit — no 18650s, they’re selling a newer cylindrical 26650 cell there, along with a prismatic cell.

There is a picture including a yellow-wrapped 18650 cell on the A123systems.com page:

It’s low-res but it doesn’t match either of the cells discussed in the OP.

Both are fakes,and A123 doesn't exist anymore.

They’re not freshly manufactured cells from A123, I think everyone can agree on that.

They’re either old stock or pulled from battery packs that used these cells. (Or fake.)

and oh, the irony, it burns; found in another story:

ok looking at official picture here http://www.a123systems.com/lifepo4-battery-cell.htm , both i received are fake. But seems strange that a site ( a123rc) that sell 80% product from a123 ….is shipping fake ones.

i need a GENUINE one to use in a jump battery car i wanna build, but i don’t know HOW TO test their max Ampere outputted in a real test (to start engine car).

HKJ has some other pictures for reference as well (Test of A123 18650 1100mAh (Yellow))

And LiShen worked with A123 to make some for Dewalt (Dewalt lithium pack pulls)

I know of K2 and Valence as other brands of LiFePO4 manufacturers.

my TWO type of batteries are different from the original…. so ….2 fake both?

is there any chance to buy a REAL GENUINE a123 18650?

results of the last minute: on opus charger c3100 ( set to max 3,7v in internal switch).

*2 batteries from fasttech 1300mah (about)
2 batteries from a123rc 1000mah (about)*

so…even if the fasttech one are now “new”…. still have higher ampere. but i can’t test the burst rate. i don’t knwo how to discover which one go over 60 ampere(60c) burst

pictures unwrapped .
left battery from a123rc seems also corroded and with rust

An update, answers to my email inquiries:

and

TL:dr — A123 is now making the 18650 cells again, restarted production. Any A123 18650s currently for sale — right now — is still old stock, because the new production is still in testing.

good to know.
any improvement of the cell quallity?

I’m not testing them.
I quoted from the people who told me the manufacturer is still testing their new production and not shipping them yet.