Courui "Even Bigger Head" D01 Projector: 113mm Lens , Luminus SBT-70 @ 13.5Amps *Build Stage*

Thanks, i bought the little cake trays :slight_smile:

I hope to be able to use them to improve the lux on the future Uniquefire 1504 GB light.

Is it possible to buy those Mag Incan reflectors somewhere?

I found the incan mag reflectors for sale in one of the threads about collars.

I have played with the Incan reflectors and I would not say they are good for this. They are not spherical and are not the best choice. I think something like the cake trays, or even a Christmas ornament, would be better. When I played with the wavien collar, it was more like a half sphere and I think that is what is needed. The Incan reflector is not a half sphere shape.

The christmas ornament was something I wanted to try from reading those threads ages ago, but the ones I have here are a very poor reflector on the inside. I started sanding one down a couple days ago, but didn’t go further once I saw what it was like inside.

The small enough ones I have seen are much more lumpy on the inside and have like a golden yellow coating which isn’t as reflective as it looks from the outside. I think there is a sealant or something that’s applied to stop the shiny coating from oxidizing.
Also glass is really annoying to grind/cut.

I’m really hopeful for those cake trays.

Thanks OL & Linus for testing out that Chrismas ornament & Mag Incan ideas, i have been wondering ever since i read about it how much potential something like that had.

Yesterday i found these a round silicon cake/ice mold, maybe it would be possible to cast something shiny in them or over them, or paint them with silver paint.

Cajampa, you do realize, don’t you, that those silicone molds are about 60mm across? That’s a pretty big ball!

Silver paint is not reflective enough.

Maybe Cajampa is planning a monster light build? :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah I agree that paint is probably not going to be good enough, anything that scatters and diffuses the light is going to be counter productive. We should be aiming for a perfect specular reflection to bounce as much light as possible directly back where it came from.

If using a plastic cup maybe applying some aluminium plummers tape could be a workable solution.

Yes i know those silicon molds are to big, but we are trying to find items thats spherical and a silicon mold can take temperatures up to 250 degrees Celsius so maybe something could be cast in them, if one could find a mold in appropriate size that is.

I remember wight posted a link to someone who had redone reflectors successfully with silver paints.

How?

If you can make them you should team up with nitro again & make some “Dale” collars. I am sure we can get a GB going :wink:

I remember someone wanted a Waviern GB, but those guys seem really unfriendly from the interactions people here seems to always report.

Spill the beans on the build process Dale, but if a lathe was involved I call cheating! :stuck_out_tongue:

No lathe, I don’t have a lathe or even a decent drill press.

That was done with a Makita cordless drill and an old Sears rotary tool.

Cool work Dale. Looks like you got a nice spherical shape out of that. I assume you spun the piece chucked in the drill and ground out the hollow with the grinder/dremel?

I also got my little cake trays today :slight_smile:

They’re quite nice, good size for the Courui @ 40mm diameter inside the bowl. Only six days from purchase all the way from HongKong, great service from that ebay seller!

And they’re pretty darn spherical. Not 100% perfectly round but pretty good with no obvious dents or imprefections on the surface.

Here is a perfect circle overlaid to try and show the deviations. Looks good to me, although obviously the top of the bowl is flattened so that will have to be removed to produce a good effect. Not a problem since we need to do that anyway but maybe for the really narrow emission angles it won’t be ideal.

Now just need to do a bit of polishing and see what the results are like. :slight_smile:

Good news, i don’t have a host of suitable size yet, but i look forward to your progress :slight_smile: they certainly look to have potential.

And with that short shipping time, i should have mine soon also :slight_smile:

On the bright side, if they don’t work for the light they’ll at least make some cool jello shots. :slight_smile:

I’ve been building a handle for this light to match the original concept, well actually the handle is for another BTU build but I think this light is big and awkward enough to justify having one as well. :slight_smile:

It’s basically the same as my original BTU handle but this time with a pair of power status leds built into a translucent clicky boot. The mounting of the handle is temporary while I wait for a part but the handle itself is done.

With the first handle on my BTU I saw the need for a visible status led that would show if the light was actually on. With the standard off-time UI and a very low moon mode in the mode range meant I often didn’t realize if the light was actually on. A glowing switch like this solves that issue, looks pretty nice as well.

Cheers

Nice job Linus love the handle

Very professional look to it, bet it feels good to the hand as well making the light a breeze to carry.

Nice work!

I though Linus was going to add a laser where the red switch is so he can compare the distance of each ;)

How is the balance?