Interest/discussion thread for fr4 quad XP, Nichia for Carclo/Khatod optics

Following in the footsteps of intrepid modders such as Scaru and Pilotptk I’d like to get a run of boards done like Scaru’s triple XML but made for the optics and LEDs in the title of this thread. For starters, I’ve sketched up a design that would work either 4p or 2s2p. Having tried both the Khatod and Carclo quad optics I prefer the Khatod to the more floody Carclo. The medium frosted Khatod is tighter than the spot Carclo. The pcb I have in mind has slots for the pegs instead of holes though so either optic could be used since both share the same 14.14 diameter led footprint.

The board would be made as thin as possible Scaru’s was .4 mm with extra vias outside the led footprints(feetprints?) in order to better carry heat from the LEDs to the back of the pcb. I’m going on the premise that if this gets done and proves popular then maybe SinkPad, Noctogon, or Maxtoch will pick it up and run some copper boards as they’ve done before. Also, the pegs of the Khatod optic fit into a 502B but not quite into a solarforce p60 head. Thoughts?

What other lights do u think this would fit in ? Im looking for something small for the Solarforce host or something similar ? unless i can sand around it to make it fit

I think the board would fit or could be designed to. Or a maybe .5-1mm ream of the solarforce head to clear the pins. The pins are on a 10.27 mm radius and are ~2.4 mm in dia so to clear the pins the 502B is about 23mm ID. I’m guessing the solarforce is probably 22 mm ID. To engage the Khatod pegs the board needs to be at least larger than the peg centers radius. So I’m thinking minimum 22+ mm. I’ve drawn it at 24mm but this is preliminary.

I haven’t heard of any p60 hosts that a drop in fits snugly so make of that what you will. This would make better use of the bezel opening of p60’s than 20 mm optics. Part of this discussion should include some measurements of various p60 hosts.

What size optic is this board for?

Edit: 25.4mm and 24mm, etc.

What’s the product number of the Khatod quads that this would be for? Datasheet?

Khatod: Narrow PL115106, Medium PL115125, Wide PL115140
Carclo: 10621, 10622, 10623, 10624

Be aware that on Carclo’s website the 24mm quads are listed as 10mm optics. The datasheets are on the mfg websites if you look up the part #’s.

The legs of the optic could be cut completely off or hit with a grinder or filed to a lesser extend to get it to fit. The inside of the head could possibly be hit with a grinder or machined for clearance.

Which pcb fab did you have in mind? Link to their allowed board specs? What size would the center hole be?
Just wondering

I’ve been having to drill out the center hole for thicker wires so I scaled this one at 6mm.
The Carclo is 24mm and the Khatod is 25.4mm but the Khatod is twice as tall and the optics merge at the front as with the ledil cute-3.
Personally I’d avoid removing the pegs since they prevent damage to the domes and dies but that’s a choice each of us gets to make.
I haven’t picked a fab yet, I’d like to find the least expensive that will do really thin pcb’s like Scaru’s whose were .4mm and could do a heavy trace.
The Khatod PL 215xx have an extended lip on the front out to 35mm but are otherwise mechanically and optically the same.
Looking at the board it would be fairly simple to set it up to run anywhere from 4s to 4p by adding a few more jumpers at the notches and flipping LEDs depending on series or parallel configuration.

I have a 502b and L2 head at home that I can measure. Are there any other p60 head ID’s someone can measure like 501b or Fandyfire or any of the other hosts you might have?

Also, once we have gerbers I would have an Oshpark set made to test but I think it will work best regarding heat with a board as thin as possible that has thicker traces.

Pcbway is one of the fabs I checked out this morning.
Not much price difference between 100 and 250 pcs $127 for 250 shipped DHL
24 mm x 24 mm 2 layer .4mm fr4
Enig
White mask w/black print
1oz(couldn’t get auto quote to insert 2 or 3 oz.)

Other places could do metal filled micro vias which would be better but need a design to get a quote.

There are also fabs that have plants world wide.

As copper thickness increases, so do trace width and spacing minimums. Anyone have an idea on best compromise? It seems to me that in this case we could be more generous with spacing to maximize the copper on the board. 2-3oz?

My eagle might have flew overhead and dropped a rough board in my lap. Except oshpark min board edge slot is 2.54mm. The pegs, of course are 2mm. Oshpark’s fab can do smaller internal slots but they are not guaranteed and may not be manufactured. For a test board at least, you could do only 2 holes for the pegs. 2 for Khatod left and right, 2 for Carclo top and bottom. Then snip off the tips of the other 2 pegs.
Look for min supported slot size for the fabs. Though they may not list it in their specs. :ghost:

Copper thickness, power traces on some boards use exposed copper without soldermask that gets covered in solder to bulk up it’s current handling. We could use that for narrow sections of the traces.

Question for the fabs, will a board with thicker copper also receive thicker plating of the vias? Guaranteed minimum?

It seems you can only select 2oz for boards 1mm or thicker.

I looked at pcbway because they had an estimator but I think well have to look around a bit more. Rushpcb seemed pretty advanced with silver filled laser drilled micro vias and lots of board choices. I’m slightly out if my depth in knowing just which fab to use since I don’t know most of the material choices to choose from.

Not nearly as cheap but I can make pretty much any custom DTP copper mcpb by machining traces into copperclad board with any thickness of copper (4oz, 6oz, 10oz, etc.) and then I just machine pockets through the board and machine bosses onto a copper heatsink. I then either reflow or adhese the machined trace board to the copper heatsink and voila, instant custom DTP board. I could then epoxy paint the boards for insulation and re-machine through the paint for the pads. Thick enough copper traces will allow this because I would only have to machine through the paint .001” or .002” for example.

It would not be $1 a board though it would be more like $12 a board.

This one can be used with either optic and arranged in 4s, 2s2p, or 4p:

With a description like yours above Hoop we need pictures of this happening or at least of something being made to ensure all of us here that you are indeed not from another planet.

Any chance I could drop in for a coffee sometime. Please.

:bigsmile: You’re funny MRsDNF. I will set aside the time to make the physical version of that model within the next few days. I only have 1oz copperclad on hand but it will suffice to prove the viability of the process.

And yes, I’m all about the coffee.

I took measurements of the lights I have.
Solarforce L2M - 22.5mm ID
UltraFire WF-502B - 24mm ID
Convoy M1(1st gen) - 24mm ID

These are all hosts in which this pcb or the host could be adapted to fit. Please post some other examples if you have them.

That would be an awesome board hoop and almost certainly a more capable one at high currents. It’s high for getting a bunch but I’d be interested in one anyway just for the uniqueness of it. Maybe start a sign up thread with me at #2. :slight_smile:

The fr4 board I have in mind would be a budget minded way to get something that I hope would be supplanted by a real copper board in the future.

Ultrafire WF504B 22.6mm.

Solarforce L2M 22.53mm