ULTRON AA: Advanced AA/14500 programmable driver w/ moonlight and hidden strobes

ULTRON AA

an advanced AA/14500 boost driver

Hello, let me introduce my first custom driver. It is a boost driver for AA/14500 lights. I have also written a firmware for it. It has three lighting modes and 3 hidden strobes. You can reprogram each light mode by ramping.

Features:

Standard modes use fast, inaudible PWM. The lowest mode doesn't use PWM though, it is a linear moonlight and you can change it by replacing one resistor on the board (this way you can achieve the lowest low you can imagine and reduce the consumption as much as possible).

It uses the off-time memory, this means that you can change the mode anytime with just a single tap. The light will always start on the first mode when you take it off the shelf (the mode resets after the driver is ~5s off).

You can access the strobe group by three fast taps (half clicks). You can do the same to return back to the standard levels.

Strobe patterns are:

Fast strobe, 2s double flash beacon, SOS

You can access the ramp program group by six fast taps. There are three modes with ramping and each of them programs corresponding standard level (ie. first ramp is used for programming of the first std. mode)

Ramp always begins on the lowest (linear moonlight) level and then goes up to the highest level. You can confirm the level you want by a single tap, this will save the level and jump to the next mode ramping. The ramping repeats until you confirm some level. The end of programming is confirmed by a single flash.

Mode spacing diagram:

Other:

It uses common ATTiny13 mcu and you can use programming clip to re-flash the firmware.

It uses commonly used output pins so it should be compatible with most custom firmware (some small changes might be needed - ie. you might have to disable low voltage detection).

Make sure you use PROTECTED 14500 with this driver as it will over-discharge unprotected ones.

Dimensions:

The first batch diameter will be 15mm. Larger diameters will be available later.

Flashlight compatibility:

Sipik SK68, Sipik SK58, Trustfire F20, Akoray, Skyray S-A1, Trustfire R5-A3, C3, Ultrafire A10... and many many others

Photos, video and more details will added later.

There will be a sales thread next month.

I’m surprised nobody has commented on this! We’ve been waiting for a programmable boost driver for a while. Looks like you’ve done great work

Awesome, thanks for bringing this up, must have missed it.

What current levels are we looking at?

interesting..

how about the current draw, and output?

This is awesome. Can we add more modes? I’ll want at least 2. Can it be sanded to fit 14mm? How high are the components?

This is great news, I remember you mentioning this driver in another thread :slight_smile: How did your final exams go?

Outstanding, a programmable boost driver!Can’t wait to see it in action…

What timing intervals are you using for the SOS pattern, one of the published standards?
EDIT, I pointed to one in an earlier thread:

This is great news!

While I was reading the OP, my immediate thought was: ok, nice, but I will ask for a 15mm version, and then it appears 15mm already . What is the output current on a NiMh cell and say an XM-L2 ?

I hope for a good price :-)

Awesome. The custom AA driver niche has been long-neglected.

Can you describe regulation behavior?
Could this driver provide low voltage alert (not protection) for 2x NiMH (around 1.9V)?

Sounds awesome! What is the max output in amps for NiMH and for 14500?

Excited? Yes.

Very interested in this driver. Like others, I await some published specs regarding output and current draw. I have a few lights in mind for this.

Just wondering if this driver is fully regulated on 14500 as I understand that many of the existing AA/14500 drivers go direct drive in H mode when using Li-Ion cells, relying on having enough overall resistance not to fry themselves or the LED.

PWM frequency?

I have an MT-G2 project in mind! How about two 14500 in series

and

I am not the best with technical detials but you said “Make sure you use PROTECTED 14500 with this driver as it will over-discharge unprotected ones.”

If the light draws more then the amount of protection then would that not just trip the cells also?

See maybe I missed somting.

The protection on the battery being talked about is for low voltage. The driver will drain a battery dry if it does not have its own low voltage protection.

Oh boy! Now I can mod my 14500 only UltraFire SK68 clone and my genuine Sipik SK68. I might even go buy this SK68 clone so I can have a new conversation piece. :bigsmile:

I am very excited that finally a quality low voltage boost driver is being developed!! That really missed from the scene and I know many like me have a soft spot for AA lights.
Congratulations on doing it first! I look forward to reading more on this.

Sounds great .. i'm still a Aa light fan and these have been long over due .

Sounds like you have the complete package .

keep them cheap and everyone who can mod will buy them up like candy

Yep. Waiting …

Where is the "add to cart" button?

LOL