So any opinions on this soldering station?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soldering-Iron-Station-Temperature-Controller-Handle-Stand-HAKKO-T12-/121715333196?hash=item1c56cc984c

I’m about to buy a Hakko FX-888D when I stumble across this gem on eBay. I can’t find much information on it, but to say it’s appealing is an understatement.

Carbon fiber handle, machined iron stand, and the form factor is tiny. Not cheap at roughly $135, but genune T12-style Hakko stations are way more than double that. FX-888D is $92 at Amazon.

Problem is, I don’t have much of a clue about Hakko T12 iron tips. It looks like T12 tips have the heating element built-in, unlike the T18-style of the FX-888D. More expensive, but they don’t appear to be drastically more expensive. Also don’t know much about how it does ESD/temp sensing - it has 5 prongs on the connector, but the real Hakko soldering station has 7 for the T12-style handle. T18 only does 5-wire, so maybe this is the same?

I don’t mind if you don’t have experience with it, I’m just curious what y’all think about it. Worth taking a risk on vs FX-888D or no?

I’m —> <— this close to pulling the trigger on the Hakko unit.

I got the Hakko 936 clone for 15$ off Hobbyking and I love it. For the basic/random flashlight mod jobs it is totally fine. If I wanted to spend any additional funds I would go for the authentic Hakko brand; I think they are blue/yellow now.

This one does look great but I don’t know anything about the brand or reliability. so unless you could find good reviews online it might look pretty but die further down the road… don’t know.

+1 for the Hakko 936 clone from Hobbyking. Great value & recommended by RMM/Richard & many others on BLF.

Normally I’d just go for the Hakko 936 clone and call it a day, but SWMBO gave the go-ahead to get the FX-888D as kind of a post-deployment present. Plus the geek in me likes seeing the digital readout. :smiley:

Can you buy different soldering tips for it? because this spike type tip is good for nothing (at least not for soldering).
I prefer using 900M-T-1.6D tip…

The tips are Hakko T12-compatible ones. I don’t have any experience using those kinds of tips, but they come in a variety of shapes.

Two fo’ the clone, but no link [or SKU]? Can ya gimme me a little shove here? :santa:

This device is available through various resellers, auction platforms, and shops for around 13-17$ US. It is by far the best investment I made (in relation to the price) in my tool section.

It is also available with a digital display in red, but some hobby forums mentioned it might be a weak point. I don’t know whether it is - I have the manual variant and I prefer turning knobs on my soldering station rather pushing a button or similar.

This link will show you the different warehouses (US included) it is available from (some have no stock at the moment)

Btw, the one from HobbyKing is a Yihua 936

The digital read out just displays temp or error message(like a cold joint in the wand reads E5) but still has a knob to adjust temp and same on/off side switch.

That premium station sure does look nice. And less bulky. Wish there was a teardown and review. The seller should post pics of the internals.

Now that is a good idea then! I wish I had found that version back in the days…

I only found this type of clone:

Even Hakko thought there is no need for a knob on this one…

I would research cost of consumables. I already had to replace the pen on my aoyue and that cost about a quarter of the whole unit.