What did you mod today?

pic is a link to more pics

First attempt at a headlamp, the Sofirn D25LR. I use this one quite a lot for detailed close up work, so having better CRI was a no brainer. Main problem I had with this mod was soldering the wires. They are short and the headlamp acts as a massive heatsink. I could not get the wires loose with the mcpcb in place. Only after lifting it up a bit the solder started melting. Same problem when re-assembling and the wires have no slack whatsoever. Ugliest soldering in a while, but it works. Also after re-assembling I noticed the led is not fully centered. The silkscreen is shifted a bit, which I didn’t notice until it was too late. Compared to a 2nd D25LR you can clearly see the difference. It’s annoying, but not annoying enough that I’m redoing this (soldering those wires again would be more annoying). But apart from this, I’m happy with the result.

Original stock LH351D

Bare mcpcb with emitter removed

519A reflowed

Centering comparison

The tint is very nice compared to the LH351D. I never thought of this headlamp being greenish, but compared to the Nichia it is. 4500K 591A vs 5000K LH351D;

Nitecore EA1Host +custom drop-in (XP-E red, XP-G3 CRI90 6000k,ST20 CRI90 2700K) Sportac dh10lc2 circuit board with additional 3AMC7135 driver for red led.

1 Thank

Neato. you were able to fit it all in that EA1.

I’ve been thinking of adding a secondary driver for some of my builds. Be interesting how you got the 2nd board to be controlled with the primary.

I'have been used a great firmware from user ceramic , from Kiev post 101

No, it s a two independent boards. they arent controlled by each other

Proud Button!
I havent been seeing many if any proud buttons on any flashights.
Wheres all the button pride?
I just did this to the tail cap of a C8+ as well and its just great!
Im gonna have to do it to a lot more lights.
I wish Convoy would offer a seperate purchasable proud button cap for some or all of their models.

This may be a question for “There are no stupid questions” thread.
Can this cause any electrical issues? Have I opened the possibility to short circuit anything?
I wouldnt think so. But its always best to ask after the fact.

Uh-oh. You’re not using Lithium Death-Cells, are ya?

Don’t take it out in the rain…

Peace-Cells
But whos buyin’?

:smiley: I liked this “song mod” :smiling_imp: \m/

The marks were a choice made after a few were left behind by accident.
So I just made some more to even it out and make it look more like an intentional aesthectic choice.
Doesnt look great, but It was just an extra tailcap I used to see if id even like it, and I absolutely do!
This feels and functions so much better to me now. By a lot.

And before anyone says it.
I dont tail stand with this type of light anyway.
But you can with a Glow Ring!

Edit: Also

Nice Megadeth reference!

Okay, I really diddnt like how the Convoy tailcap looked with those “grooves” cut into it so sanded them out.
Other than being pink, its much nicer looking now.
My future Convoys may have to be the silver option so this goes less noticed.

Made a quad Nichia E17A 4500K S21A.

Reflowed E17A SM403 4000K and SM503 5000K LEDs onto an Eurekatronix board. The tiny LEDs are challenging to reflow, but well worth it. I used a very small amount of soldering paste, but was still too much since I ended up with a solder ball between 2 of the LEDs which made them crooked. So I picked it out, added some flux, heated them up again and was able to center the LEDs pretty good.

The tint turned out great! A little less rosy than my quad E17A SM453 LEDs and a lot less than the 219B sw45k LEDs.

Those E17’s and E21’s can be a bear to reflow. But it ended up looking good.

Didn’t work out. Ordered boards from Oshpark, payed VAT to them, and the postman again charged VAT and fees, so the price has been doubled. The VAT has been calculated for the total price including the previously payed VAT. So I payed VAT for the VAT :person_facepalming: .

Now looking for a similar manufacturing service in EU …

That’s disappointing to hear, I messaged them the other day and they told me they still have problems with IOSS, maybe try to find out if deutsch post can refund you ? Or if they have a way to declare already paid VAT.

Aisler in Germany is OK, more expensive for the small boards we usually make here (small drivers) since the cost is proportional to the area with Oshpark, but for larger boards it costs less (fixed fee + lower area cost). The cheapest option doesn’t have ENIG though, and the min size vias is larger, shipping is free and probably even faster within Germany.

I had same problem plus some more. I paid Vat in OSHpark checkout. Then Finnish customs wanted me to pay them again. After I paid and received them there wasn’t everything I ordered in the package. They had shipped my small order in three separate packages and I had to pay Vat again from all of those. First time I paid for the full amount of my order including Vat that I had already paid, second time I quessed what could be in the package and last time I paid what was left of my order. Luckily OSHpark refunded me the full amount, so not monetary loss for me. Wasn’t very good ordering experience.

Actually the VAT itself was not the main problem, I ordered a small board for a couple of dollars only. DHL charged a 6 EUR handling fee which bugged me most. I heard of Aisler, will give them a try with my next boards.

I wonder how customs and mail service know that VAT has been payed by the seller. I can’t see anything on the labels which would confirm this claim.

I just refused to collect Oshpark from post office and pay moore. Ordered from JLCPCB . They do ship DDP. End of story.