Courui Red PT54 Mod-LD-M2

This is my first major mod and first ever mod thread, i never intended on making a thread for this light but half way through i decided to take a few pics and make a thread. so here goes…
i decided that the courui would be a good candidate for the PT54 with its parallel battery configuration which matches the PT54s low Vf and high current.

i started by machining off the anodizing and re tapping the threads deeper to accommodate longer cap head screws as one of the screws was threaded from when i received the light
!!
!!

i also bypassed the springs and added a omten switch to lock the light out.
!!
!!
!!

i had to run this light as a POSITIVE ground as the PT54 has a positive earth, so i just soilderd some button tops on the neg side of the batteries so they would make contact with what was the old positive section on the contact board. This seamed the easiest way of achieving this i guess. just hope i dont forget one day and put the cells in the wrong way!! i might get magic smoke…
!!

i then proceeded to make the best possible heat sink as i was going to run this thing at 9A, i made a solid copper slug for it in the lathe.
!!

its a light press fit, i think it worked out well. I glued the led to the pill using arctic silver, i also enlarged the hole for the emitter in the reflector before i started to take pictures, so this way the emitter would self center itself in the reflector. i also kept the whole star (if you will) that the emitter is mounted to as it gave me plenty of clearance to sit the reflector right down with no risk of shorting out.

!!

I decided i would use the new LD-M2 driver as it was perfect for this emitter, i couldn’t be happier with how it runs with this led. I also glued this to the back of the pill using arctic silver epoxy and passed the negative wire through to the emitter.
!!
!!

all screwed together and well for my first major mod, i guess it turned out ok. i took a few beam shots from my front door as it was late when i finished it. it goes much further than this but i ran out of objects to shine at, pretty good for a red emitter i think…
!!
!!
!!

Nice!

Looks like you have a new red light district in town.... ;)

Very cool indeed!

nie project

Nice job, my first project did not go that well, lol!

Very cool indeed, that must be a very impressive red beam!, And that looks like a very neat and thorough job. Glad you made the effort to make pictures and post this.

Very good work! H) congratulations :wink:

Yikes! Red hot!

I forgot to mention that, I’ve regretted taking the time to take pics and post my projects, and now they’re done and either given away or in use so it would be difficult to do it now.

Part of the reason is that I’d like to share my experience, and part is having a way to look back and see how far I’ve come in the hobby.

If others are anything like me, it’s really easy to forget :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, i also figured it would be good to make a post as these colored leds arnt done very often.

Simply WOW! Great MOD! :beer: You have ……skillz! :wink:

Any pics from front side, reflector, focusing!
Nice project btw.

here is a pic of the reflector and a quick white wall shot.
!!
!!

As a fellow PT54, PT121 builder my congratulations on a fine build. Most on mine are aspheric and are weapon mounted. Even have a WF501 w/ orange peel reflector & lifepo4 powered PT54 on copper mounted to a crossbow.

Very nice mod. The neighbors must love you.

yeah i try not to shine in there windows too much. I guess thats the problem most of us run into with high powered lights.

Nice :slight_smile:

What are candela/lux results with it?

unfortunately i have no way of measuring the lux or candela but it does throw to 200m without any issues at all. Ill have to go out one night and measure how far it actually throws. Id say its got enough throw for most hunting situations. I was going to make this a aspheric but i think its ok as it is at the moment.

We all perceive brightness differently. To some guys stock jacob a60(50kcd) has over 300m of throw.
To me modded 200kcd Jacob has optimum(full detection of target) up to 300m throw. To some guys spill is usefull to me it is not etc.
Light meter no matter how cheap it is tells a lot of things.

But your light could have around 60-100 kcd.