I need an emitter for a c8 with A17DD-L driver and hg2 battery

hello there

i just built a Convoy C8 with a BLF A17DD-L driver and a HG2 battery with a spring bypass mod and arctic silver paste under the star

the problem is after 2 seconds on turbo the light turned a shade of blue and began to smoke.
I could touch the star immediately after without ani it was only slightly warm

the emitter was the one that was in it originally from banggood (5000K)

could anyone recommend a emitter/star that is up to the job?

thanks!

Was your led mounted on copper dtp mcpcb?

Edit: oh ok your led is the same as it came with your C8, non dtp aluminium board, not suitable at all for direct drive.

I would recommend an XP-L HI on noctigon, this will give you over 100kcd and 1300 lumens, also swapping the lens for an UCLp or coated glass should free the output by about 10%

I would be concerned about the reflector… It needs to be shaped right for the emitter that is chosen. I am not sure that an XP-L Hi will focus right in an XM-L reflector. I did some testing recently with the XP-L Hi, the XP-G2 dedomed and an XM-L2 dedomed in a KD C8 and found out that not all reflectors are created the same, they have different curves in their design. Both XP’s did work very well in one reflector, but did not work worth a damn in the reflector that worked well of the XM-L2.

Matt

If your C8 has the larger diameter reflector opening and the corresponding spacer centering ring for an XM-L emitter, I’d just drop in a high-bin XM-L2 on a DTP Noctigon and call it a day…

Not sure where you are from, but I’d recommend Mountain if you are local to the US…

16mm PCB - http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_61&product_id=75
20-mm PCB - http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_61&product_id=80

These are the cooler 1A tint, which I prefer for throwers, but you can choose others as you wish.

I am also building a Convoy C8. I am going for throw and tint. I have some Notigons from RMM with different LEDs in route.

Does anyone know how XP-L Hi and XP-G2 (dome on) would compare in throw department ?
Looking for throw without greenish tint.

I am really starting to like the XP-L Hi, but it visually seems to my that my C8’s will throw better with a dedomed XP-G2, with dome on it seems fairly close to my eye.

I have found that the XP-G2 with a 1A or 1D dedome with very nice tint. I hate for a light to tint blue or green, I would prefer very neutral to a little rosy.

Actually the new pill-less convoy C8 with stock centering ring works pretty well with XP-L HI, mine does 105kcd with a V2 1A, coated glass and fet+1 driver drawing 5A+ from a 30Q, just position your centering ring in a 45 degree angle and apply some lube in the edge to avoid spinning when turning the bezel.

XPL HI and XPG2 domed should be pretty similar in throw but the XPL produces a much brighter spill and larger spot.

Member mikto has build tons of dedomed XPG convoy C8s and he gets over 160kcd, without major modifications in the reflector/centering ring.

i wrote a big post and the forum went down! arghhh

my C8 has convoy written on both sides of the tube with an aluminium pill and it has a plastic centering ring

im not exactly sure what size reflector it has but i have a spare orange peel reflector where the hole is too big for the centering ring > “(link)”:http://www.banggood.com/C8-CREE-XM-L-T6-T5-OP-Reflector-LED-Floodlight-Cups-p-932209.html

for the new emitter i would like a 5000k tint or slightly warmer

can anyone post a parts list for a tried and tested setup that will take advantage of a A17DD and a Hg2 battery?

i live in the countryside and do plenty of dog walking in the dark so the throw of a C8 comes in handy to see across fields.

a suggested parts list for what i need to make a nice c8 would be appreciated!

thanks for helping

after writing all that i missed the post saying “if your C8 has the larger diameter reflector opening and the corresponding spacer centering ring for an XM-L emitter, I’d just drop in a high-bin XM-L2 on a DTP Noctigon and call it a day…” doh

I will wait a bit longer to see what other people say bit i’ll probably do what keltex78 said

Aluminium pill? I guess you mean a shelf? pill version sold out long time ago.

For 5000K these are your emitter options:

If you want a wider beam and higher output, XM-L2 U3 3D on noctigon. http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_61&product_id=615

If you want throw, XPL HI V2 3D on noctigon. http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_106&product_id=575

For this emitter you should position the centering ring like this. The diagonal length of a 3.5mm square is 4.95mm, which is almost exactly the same as the stock centering ring.

Ah, very nice! Good tip.

mine has a screw in pill and the star is held down with 2 screws. I bought the flashlight over 6 months ago

i ordered this last night from intl-outdoor.com

1 ea. Noctigon XM20 MCPCB & CREE XM-L2 T6 4C LED £4.41
1 ea. Noctigon XP20 & CREE XP-L High Intensity V2 3D £4.47

mountain wanted $13 shipping!