BLF decision

Hi, im new to BLF and the world of flashlights. My sister and I usually go out for a run during the night at our local park and recently were chased by stray dogs. So I started to research for the most brightest budget flashlight possible to buy but I haven’t figured it out yet. Im currently looking at the Convoy C8 or BLF A6 special edition but im not sure if these choices are ideal. What i would like is the brightest and farthest flashlight possible. Can someone help me select an extremely bright high lumens flash torch? Thank you in advance.

I am not sure whether stray dogs like flashlights that much; have you tried treats?

just kidding :wink: Welcome to BLF!

The Convoy C8 is an amazing light, it throws quite far and the quality is very good.
Since you are running - have you considered headlamps instead to give more mobility?

Welcome to BLF
The Thor fire S70 is blinding bright and big and heavy, smack a dog and it will not chase you (not too hard or it’ll do nothing anymore ;))
However with at least 640grams you are not going to like it when jogging.

The smaller Olight intimidator is also very bright but more expensive.

A Convoy C8 gives a nice amount of light and is not so heavy or expensive.

There is no way to just run elsewhere to avoid dogs?

Welcome .
I’d get the C8 and some pepper spray .

If you need runtime...the new BLF X6. If you could handle less runtime...the BLF X5 is nice and easy to carry. If you do not need as much throw then the BLF A6 (or Astrolux S1)

I don’t think a blinding light can defeat stray dogs but a strong stick can. Face it/them with the stick, don’t panic and shout toward them.
and run back slowly with the stick well visible in your hand.

+1

Hey Carla, I run with a Convoy S2. I think the C8 is too big to lug around. I can clip the S2 to my side or put it in my Fuel Belt. Same size as the BLF A6. I like to see what’s way out there in front of me because I get spooked easily, so I put in a smooth reflector and an XPL HI. This combo has more throw than the A6. The smooth reflector they make for the S2 is a lot deeper than the others. Also, the S2+ is very popular, but the SMO (smooth) reflector will only fit on the S2. However, I just built a Convoy M2 with the same XPL HI for a friend and I will probably do another for myself. Absolute perfect combo for runners. It’s small and puts out a ton of light. I had it running at 4A and it handled the heat very well. Total price for the M2 host, led, AR lens, 2 30Q cells, driver, and charger was exactly $50. IMO, you can’t beat that for 50 bucks. The M2 put out much more throw than my S2, and I’ve been stopped by bikers on the path I run asking what kind of flashlight I had (S2).

And…after typing all that up I realized it will probably make no sense to you :smiley: There is a custom build service at mtnelectronics…I think it might not be available at the moment, though.

Well, running would attract dogs, especially if they are stray and hungry. The normal instinct of a predator is to attack fleeing game. Pepper spray, a collapsible baton or a shock stick, might all be options for four legged and even two legged predators.

Best advice? Do not run at night if possible, but if you have to, then make sure you have something for self defense. A flashlight would help you feel better, but unless you intend to use it as a baton, then it’s not any help, except to illuminate your way.

Super bright flashlights will hurt your night vision, as well as anyone or anything around you, so possibly a light that had less lumens and a more floody light, might actually be better, as it won’t hurt night vision as much.

Lights for jogging and trail runners have been discussed before. Try searching here for “jogging light” or “trail light”. Anyhow, here’s a link to one of these threads. It might help.

Thanks, I rather have the flash torch than headlamps so I can use it for both outdoors and also when running.

The Thor fire S70 sounds amazing but If I can get something smaller pocket size then that will be perfect. The Fenix PD35 size is great but its too expensive and also not the brightest.

Yeah we’re going to run on the sidewalks instead next time around. But Im still interested in a powerful bright flash torch.

How would you compare the C8 to the BLF A6?

Thanks Willy, Thats exactly what I’d like. A small yet extremely bright high lumens light. I notice the C8 looks big and seems like it would be uncomfortable in my pocket. The M2 sounds like a definite option. How is it compared to the BLF A6?

The BLF-X6 is technically the a newer A6?

Forget the flashlight. Get a nice bit of steak, attach to your sister and run the opposite direction, you’ll be fine.

Since you want long-range light, I’d suggest a C8. You can get one prebuilt with a good emitter and driver for a reasonable price.

Here’s a good option @ RMM’s Mountain Electronics:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=109

Like others have said, I would get some form of protection other than the light. As your location says New York, I expect firearms to be out of the question, but a good pepper spray would be advisable. I would suggest a good foaming or gel spray instead of the fog, to minimize your exposure to the mist.

Via Wikipedia:

And remember — keep the flashlight on a piece of parachute cord or other strong nylon cord you can hold (but don’t tie it to your wrist or clothing)
So to whack a pursuing animal with it, whirl it around — have a long reach — instead of having to get up close to hit with it, or throwing the light and losing it — but if the animal grabs the light you can’t get pulled toward it.

If you’re in the position of having to use one light for self-defense, have another one to see with and run away. None of these lights are guaranteed to keep working after being used as a hammer.

hahahahahahaha

If you get 2 Thorfire S70s you would build so much muscles in your arms, jog every day and it won’t be long for Sylvester Stalonne to become very jealous :wink:

Is pepperspray legal with you? Sound like a very good idea, the faintest hint would make the fine nosed dogs run away I think.
EDIT keltex78 answered this, yes I would go for pepperspray!

http://m.tmart.com/NF-B910-Q3-250LM-3-Mode-Baton-Flashlight-Black_p144480.html?cc=USD&fixed_price=hk_intl&gclid=Cj0KEQiA6bq2BRC6ppf0_83Z1YIBEiQAgPYNvVVZjddnYgE-B0pftCURZbRELRASq4gs7qiAzFB4G08aAizT8P8HAQ

or

http://m.kotulas.com/deals/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10602&storeId=10152&productId=36204&langId=–1&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=39-152939047-2&utm_source=google_pla&utm_medium=Safety-Security-Security-Surveillance&utm_content=31424

You can get 43cm long baton flashlights from $11 onwards at AE and other China shops.
We have 4 different ones (1 with red diffuser at the top in the car and near doors the spiked ones you linked first to.)
Not usefull for running and not a lot of bright light either.

There’s a big noisy dog that can’t refrain barking when I leave my office at night. A few days ago I pointed my MH20 at him on turbo mode. The dog immediately stopped and turned around as he was obviously blinded. But it’s not a stray dog, just a stupid one…
Hth.

Not sure a bright light will deter dogs, but it might. Strobe doesn’t seem to bother most dogs.

I’ve heard the crackling sound from a stun gun can deter them. They are quite affordable. I recently got one and it is an intimidating sound. Just make sure you can legally carry one.

Problem with pepper sprays is that you don’t want to be down breeze/wind when you discharge it. A situation which can occur much more of then you realize.

Get a reasonable thrower to spot the dogs a long way off. I’m more a AA guy, so I like 4xAA lights for this purpose. They’re a bit more bulky than an 18650 light, but you can holster them. I use a Sunwayman D40A neutral white. If I wanted a small 1x18650 light, I’d get a Zebralight SC600 mk3 or a SC63. I really like the Zebralights.

As for pepper spray, definitely get some if you can. Pepper spray is illegal where I live (can’t have people protecting themselves), but surprisingly bear spray is legal, and it’s way more effective. Of course, we’re not allowed to use it on dogs, but I couldn’t give a s**t about a stray dog. Blast it, just make sure to stay upwind. It won’t be bothering you again.

I’ve read good reviews of the Cold Steel Inferno spray. Don’t try this though: