Cree changed production process for XP-G2 emitters!

Could be that consistency is not an issue any more? Our newest member koef3 could tell us more about that…

So Mr. koef3 did consistency of Osram Black Flat improved?

Vinh is getting some really weird numbers with Blackie, some lights get super-high results (UT02 close to 500kcd) while others not so much. There were suggestions that the reason might be variation in LED quality….

Ι have seen the numbers he listed and they look super wow . Manker u21 (ut02) was about 460kcd ?!

Keep in mind that he measures output on his builds only if you ask for it , so we don’t really know if he picks black flats for every light .

Osrams LEDs are not categorized in different binnings, like Crees does. The light flux range specified in the datasheet is wide and suggests a huge spread in every single LED. According to my experience the Osram LEDs are very consistent in light flux, in most cases the real light power is about the average of the specified luminous flux range. It seems that the probability of getting ‘Golden Samples’ is veeeeery low and the higher the real light flux is so lower is the probability to getting one.

For me I sort the LEDs only in tint / color rendering index, not in light flux. For Vf the binning procedure I described here should be the same - the most LEDs are in narrow range around the typ. Vf specified from Osram.

I ordered 10, but I only tested two.
One had a better reflow than the other and made a bit more output.
I didn’t have enough MCPCBs to reflow the rest.

I also read on the datasheet that the individual reels will have random bins, but all the LEDs on a reel will be of the same bin.
Since all the LEDs I got were from the same reel there is pretty much no use to try to bin them because they would all be almost identical.

For everybody’s information, we have managed to get some old/good S4 2B LED in stock, grab it while available,

https://intl-outdoor.com/cree-xpg2-s4-2b-bare-led-p-885.html

The king is back - long live the king!!!

What is the reason of this is the best xp-g2?

It is not that good :slight_smile: It has nasty green tint… LOL :laughing:

But lets get seriously now… This is not for beautiful emitter tint lovers…

This is emitter that suits the most for single cell fet drivers giving maximum lux performance at relatively low current consumption(about 4.5A on turbo mode). Some guys will say that it has a bit greenish tint, and that may be true depending how you will use it, what modding methods and in which light you’ll use it.

It is larger than Osram Black Flat(which is xp-e2 size emitter) so more lumens and just about enough lux :+1:

I took 400pcs… That will be enough for more than 2 years with my mods… :sunglasses:

The old xp-g2 should pull over 6amps for about 900-1100lumens reportedly?

Seal date dec 2016, that is way after the first production change, but that may not be the most relevant clue. Let us know what they look like and how they perform, l.i.! :slight_smile:

Ok. I bought 15 pcs and slapped an Emisar D1S to the order too :smiley:

Don’t worry Djozz… Hank inspected them already and they are good old ones. Also it is confirmed by one of his big costumer(i suspect who that guy may be but I won’t say :slight_smile: )… You would be surprised but there are guys here who mod around 2000 pcs of lights in 2 years :+1:

This are pictures from Hank big costumer so you see it is good old one:

I would order while you still can… This will be sold in few days. I can bet in that :wink:

My guess would be Mitko. Ok then, that is great, I will order a few (but I’m not in the thrower build business, so just a few is enough).

In the meantime I do have some hope for a few new leds on the market (Cree XD16 and Oslon Compact PL), times stay interesting! :slight_smile:

I will put in some in my L2 and Brinyte B158B and one in a C8. All dedomed. And time will tell the rest.

It is always nice to see new contenders. :+1:

Old g2 is simple and easy to build and it is sure not dead yet especially in single cell FET lights giving this interesting throw data:
around 200 kcd in C8
around 300 kcd in B158
around 250 kcd in UF1503
around 300 kcd in Mitkos super thrower reflector; add larger refector/aspheric lights here and of course numbers will start doubling :slight_smile:

Time to party now? :partying_face:
It’s a nice Christmas present.

We yet have to receive and test them but Hank is serious seller and I guess he would not compromise his sale so yes… Christmas present it is :partying_face:

quick question…… does XPG2 fit the footprint of noctigon in this picture?

Here's a test of the de-domed good old S4 2B from Köf3

It is real, I supplied him with this LED. It seems to have a very high Vf. At the same Vf the Osram Black Flat is actually brighter and thus has a much higher luminance because of the smaller die.

It should be noted that these tests are done on a fan cooled heat sink.