GBGB, LD-51 dual cell XHP35 Boost Driver, Great Price!

Getting 2.5 amps out of it on Turbo, 1.72 amps on High .15 amps Low @ the emitter a 12v XHP70 by jumping the unmarked resistor. Driver over heats fast! :smiley: :+1:

Awesome! Thanks for testing it out.
Those numbers are at the emitter I presume? What numbers do you get at the battery’s, and what battery’s did you use?

-What unmarked resistor do you mean? All the resistors on the drivers I have are all marked.
One with R010 and the other one with R050 with a big white stripe above it. They are the same size and the perfect size for a sense resistor.-
The other driver does have a unmarked resistor, it is the bigger resistor next to the negative ledwire?

Yes at the emitter, Yes the big resistor at the Negative LED wire and 5.5+ at the battery. All 3 of my drivers are unmarked. At 1.7amps it seems the driver is fine but at 2.5amps the coil/inductor over heats and power drops rapidly. I over heated it 3-4 times and it still functioned after cooling down.

Awesome so it need a lot of cooling for higher outputs bit it can Withstand it for a couple times.

Yep it’s proving to be pretty tough so far! :smiley: :+1:

Pulled the original resistor off and staked a R180 and 2 R10’s for 1.8amp at turn on and after 2.3mintes it dropped to 1.66 amps. I had an aluminum block on the coil and it was warm, so the driver will need to be sinked half way decent at this current. 3.55amps at the batteries at 2.30 minutes, didn’t check at start up, just wanted to see if it would just up and quit!

New driver with R010 resistor stacked on, gives 2.05 amps at the emitter, 4.79 at the battery! I don’t think this driver will survive past this current. At 2.30amps and the driver sinked it drops out in seconds!

Unless the components on this driver can be upgraded?

Need to find a host and do a build, and sink the heck out of this driver, but at just over 2 amps it should be pretty decent in a 2S side by side battery compartment style host with a big reflector, know of any? :smiley:

If the driver must have better heat sinking and you are at the limits, the best thing is to pot the heck out of it.

I have a TINY little driver running 3A in an old ultrafire zoomie that I potted with RTV. It works great and has held up surprisingly well. Same for the LED. I didn’t expect them to work so well or so long with how hot they were getting during testing.

At 2 amps its sustainable enough for 5 months already, i have a modded L2 this way and it work so far…the sad part is that XPL W2 is better : lumen output is nearly the same, while the driver is way more efficient plus the runtime is better too, with only 2 battery

“As it is” host……maybe L6 or…forgot the name….its with a SST 50 emitter by default, a Trustfire model with a 50mm reflector , 2S one
About the second one: the hotspot after the mod is good, even great, you can expect about 140k mcds out of it, it sits nice in a gloved hand too

So your running this 28mm LD 51 driver at 2amps with a XHP35 in a L2?

Where are you getting the W2’s from?

Yeah, i made several of those L2s to be capable of holding 29-30mm drivers, its easy with the lathe especialy if you plan to “glue the driver afterthat :slight_smile:
The first L2 i modded with the dremmel only btw, took me 10 mins to make the opening for the driver
The brass ring holder is kinda hard to be produced, i asked Simon for L6 spares but he dont have
…its not hard though, its spendy actualy ) they asked me 10 euros for a ring…insane realy…its hard to find a good machinist nowadays, way harder than a good programmer/or web designer

W2s i bought either localy or from Digikey, Cutter has those but i havent tried his yet

I’m in for two

Thanks Mitko, do you have a link to the Digikey W2’s by chance?

Hi guys, was anyone able to find out what is the use of that soldering point marked with “KEY” ?

I forgot about it…
Just asked gearbest if they could ask the manufacture.
Maybe a way to set the modes?

On some other LD-CH drivers it is used for setting output current.

I am eager to find out the answer :smiley:
I have 2 of this drivers but I would like to keep them healthy :slight_smile:

Got an answer.
“it’s for press button”

So if anyone want to try it out? :smiley:
I’m currently testing the driver with different sense resistors, got 2 0.2 ohm resistors stacked but don’t see a huge improvement on the led amps. (maybe 100 or 200 mA)
Almost burned my XHP35-HI, it fell led down on the table, instantly made a black spot on the table and damaged the Silicon layer on the led.

I’ll test how it that key contact works. I think it has to be shorted across the ‘in -’ in order to switch.

Edit/ so I made a short wire that I soldered on the key contact, it does nothing when I touch the battery negative… Any ideas?

That’s weird, even when completely bypassing the resistors still didn’t get more amps at the emitter.
Using 2 fully charged GA’s in series. I forgot to write it down but I think the low and medium mode did increase. Maybe the led was damaged enough to not draw more than 1.4/1.5 amps…?

Did anyone else tested it?

Have not yet an answer from gearbest.