Bicycle Light ... What Do You use

What do you guys use as a bicycle light a dedicated one from say Cateye or Lezneye or something you happen to already have in your arsenal???

I was trying a couple I have and in terms of a focusable torch my cheap SK98 seems to give the roundest spot without any rings but I wonder if I prefer something that has a tightish hot spot but quite a bit more spill rather than focusing all the light in front and if it gives you a greater awareness of the bigger picture / what else is going on around you outside of a centrally focused beam.

Interested to see what others preferences are as unfortunately it won’t be long before there’s not enough light as autumn is nearly on us for a decent cycle after work without the need of a torch.

I use old Vistalite’s that have been modded to LEDs.

XTAR BK12 600 lumens came with a mount and it’s still a useful light when it’s not on the bike. I gave this to my son and he loves it, I gave him a Convoy C8 too but he seems to prefer the UI on the BK12 (external magnetic ring). For $20 it’s a solid 18650 multi purpose light. If I didn’t feel like I have slightly too many lights this size I’d have already pulled the trigger on it. As it is now I’m waiting for it to go on sale and I’ll pick up the gold/brown version just because.

http://www.mtbr.com/searchresultscrx.aspx?q=yinding

be careful, it’s much been poorly copied, but

They had some trouble getting the color temperature right but mine work fine and I think they’re still out there.

Catch up on the thread though, in case quality has drifted.

Got a few. Faves are gloworm xs 2300lm neutral white. Ituo wiz xp3 2300lm neutral white. Both are triples and easy on the eyes, but blazingly bright.
Kaidomain is offering some xhp70/50 bike lights now. The ui isn’t the best for biking but they seem pretty interesting!

front
a modded Fenix BC30R
sometimes a Armytek wizard

back
a decathlon vioo clip light (Great product) or a seesense light.

I use a Fenix E35UE 2016 Edition with a Two-Fish mount ….under $35 bucks (total for the two), shipped with M4D’s coupon….Peak Beam Intensity: 6,400 cd Beam Distance: 175 yards (160 m)….good throw for a bike light with a wide beam…5 modes plus blinky… Output/Runtimes:
⦁ Turbo: 1000 lumens / 1 h 50 min
⦁ High: 450 lumens / 4 h
⦁ Medium: 150 lumens / 11 h 50 min
⦁ Low: 50 lumens / 42 h 30 min
⦁ Eco: 8 lumens / 150

…I used this set-up all summer and did many night rides… and found it to be more than functional. The 150 lumen setting was about all I ever needed….even that was sometimes too bright. 50 lumens was perfect for trail riding.

Convoy S2 with a triple and the elliptical pattern Carlclo optic in a bar clip. A 3400 mAh NCR18650 lights it long enough for the length of night use I do, thoughI carry a spare cell.

Eagle Eye X6 triple with Nichia 219C D320 5000K and a MTN-17DDm (Bistro) on the handle bars :

I use a flood and throw combo by mounting the PD35 and a Convoy C8. But that is on public roads. I’m sure i would use a dedicated bike light that was brighter, throwier, and floodier if I was doing narrow offroad trails.

Fenix BT20, prototype version.

have a Thorfire BL1 and it is great, battery could have more capacity but otherwise good

I use this, also Nitefighter BT40S.

How/what did you do to BC30R?

The stock ones are good NW, but when you go under the light of the sodium lamps on the street, the beam almost looks cool white.
I replaced the NW leds with warm white.
Just unscrew the screws on the front part and lift the upper part. You have access to the LEDs.

Thanks for those … lots of suggestions to have a look at !!!

Is anyone using a Convoy S2 + or Astrlux S1 …. I quite fancy getting one of those 2 anyway and if it’d work on a bike would be my justification :smiley:
Think I prefer the Astrolux simply because you can use it either as an 18350 or 18650 … that said I did see a Mini S2 + a while back but am struggling to find them now.

Nitefighter BT40S

Depending on where i am ridding i usually like to wing it and no lights lol But on trails i use the Solarstorm X6 or just a headlamp like Nitecore HC30. Now the cops are cracking on no lights here.

Depending on how far you ride you might want a light with a battery pack or a USB plus style light.

NiteFighter BT40S combined with a SolarForce L2P with an XM-L2 and elliptical TIR at 3.8A.

The S2 and S2+ are very similar. As posted above, I use an S2 with an elliptic optic; gives more side spread and produces a flatter, wider beam.

This+