[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

To reach 5A you would want a ~.047ohm 1% sense resistor IIRC, I would have to check again.

I have a bit higher current in mine right now in order to stress test the driver under worst case conditions.

We have not got that far yet, only that they are open to the XHP70 mod.

I agree that it is a nice version and the large thermal mass and 8 cells means it can actually handle the heat for a little while as well.

Well, my ThorFire S70S runs about 6 Amperes on a CRI80 XHP70, and it takes quite a while to get warm.
I have never gotten it actually hot, just quite warm. (i did incorporate the reflector in the thermal path too though)
This GT has more mass and (more importantly) a LOT more surface area, so i can’t imagine it getting hot at all.
Maybe when you’re in a tropical climate?

So my question is: Does your GT with XHP70.2 get hot at all?

Yeah, it starts getting warm after a few minutes and it would get pretty darn hot it you let it run for while.

+1 … Thank you! Good to know he has not croaked……… :+1:

Here is a list that Neal is working on of the orders so far. He said there are still another ~30 orders he needs to verify and update.

The yellow highlights are orders he has not received (or not updated yet) the phone number for.

Please check the list for your order if you have any questions.

Your forgetting the voltage difference. Your S70 is doing 6A at 6V. That’s only 36 watts.

The GT would be doing 5A at 12v which is 60 watts. Almost double the heat of your S70. :wink:

Ah… Indeed…

Hi Jason, convoy L6 at 7 amps, would it be 42 watts? I always thought that they were 8.4 volts x 7 amps …

I`m 14th on that list and it says just “register” in the place of my shipping method when all else says “Registered” or DHL.
I did chose Registered shipping so maybe it is just a slight typo and is actually proceeding the right way.

Volts Times Amps Equals Watts, so if the driver you have in the L6 is running at 6V @7A, that would give you the 42watts

I bet poor Neal has had to work his tail off to get that list together!!
Hats off to Neal……… :+1:

I’m not wearing a hat…

Found one :face_with_monocle:

and now off :smiley:

I checked the list and I ordered and paid for the extra batteries. It’s not on the list #510 maildroid

I was just making a comparison and using 6v and 12v so as keep things simple.

There’s actually many variables involved. In theory you could say 8.4v x 7 amps equals 58.8 watts, but in reality the voltage is going to sag due to the load. So it’s never 8.4v unless the load is very light.

If you want a fairly accurate wattage reading you need to also measure voltage whenever you measure current. On an L6 with fully charged 5,000mah high drain unprotected cells like liitokala blues, if the amp load is 7A then the voltage can sag down to maybe 8.2v. At 18 amps it might sag to 7.8v.

So when it comes to wattage, you should round off the numbers a little. Starting with a resting voltage of 8.4v and drawing 7 amps is about 57 watts.

Starting with a resting voltage of 8.4v and drawing 18A is about 140 watts. (My L6 at startup)

Jerommel’s S70S at 6 amps would be about 50 watts.

Now if you used similar sized protected cells the voltage sag will increase due to higher internal resistance.

If you use 18650 cells, they sag even more.

With the GT, let’s say we use one carrier and it’s modded to draw 5A amps. Then each of the 4 cells is drawing 5A. If they are high capacity and good quality cells the 16.8v might sag to 16v on turbo. 16 x 5 = 80 watts. With 2 carriers the voltage sags less, maybe only to 16.4v. That would equal 82 watts.

I’m not even going to talk about driver efficiency or any additional resistances you get through springs and switches, etc… This is why I round off wattage numbers. You can’t really be super exact with them.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question.

Oh, ok! Out they go!

I can’t blame you for not knowing. Earlier today was like 5 pages ago!

All paid two days ago!

Allowing up to 12-31-17 is a fair deal.
I am one of the few in the first batch that have not ordered yet. Please don’t take me of the list!
My issue at the moment is that I will be away from the end of next week and won’t be back until the second week of January. I want to be sure that I will be around to receive this when it arrives to ensure it does not get lost. If it does arrive around Christmas, someone walking past my door might claim it as a present.