NEW Nitecore NU20 CRI + first impressions

Stumbled upon this:

Looks like it could fill a niche. Sits smack bang weight wise between my two trail running headtorches - the HC30 and the T360. With the latter being something that gets carried to meet event minimum kit lists rather than because I intend to use it for running (it’ll work, but only on non-technical, non navigational routes.) 220 lumens (realistically, you’re not going to leave it in turbo) is reasonable if a little on the low side. So fills a gap.

I like that it can be used whilst being charged, though if you’re going to take the extra weight of a charger you may as well take a heavier headtorch (when 50% of the weight of the HT is the battery.)

Be interested to see how much it sells for; I could be tempted to replace the T360 on emergency/minimum kit list duty.

Nice and clever, it fits in their line-up with small fixed batteries charged with micro-USB, this looks like a quite ideal headlamp. And of course there is the CRI version

I like it, though High and Turbo are way to close together

The weight looks good if it includes the headband. This might actually end up replacing my Zebralight H52. As much as I love using ubiquitous AA’s, I already need to bring a usb charger and cable for my cellphone, so why not use it for my light too? It’d be a big deal if it charges quickly. Hopefully at least 2C.

It has a lot of features I like, so I’ll probably buy one unless Nitecore quality issues show up in the first few shipments.

It looks like a nice, lightweight thing to throw in my pack when I’m out hiking and don’t expect to be out after it gets dark (but would like a headlamp just in case). The protected switch also looks like a nice touch for that sort of use.

And its slim profile should be good for not bumping it into stuff while working on my motorcycle (or working on plumbing in cabinets, etc.).

The fact that the 220 lumen high mode runs for 6 hours, but the 40 lumen mid mode runs for 7.75 hours, suggests that the light steps down into mid pretty fast. But my most commonly used mode around the house is ~60 lumens (typically with light-adapted eyes) and most commonly used mode around camp is ~5-15 lumens (with dark-adapted eyes), so that isn’t a problem for me.

But speaking of which, more modes between 1 lumen and 40 lumens would be nice. I get a lot of use out of ArmyTek’s 2 and 9 lumen modes on my Tiara.

The runtime on med and high looks funny.

What they are trying to say is that the light will step down on both Turbo and High. Seeing how close the runtime for High and Mid is, I guess High will step down from 220 to around 50-60 lumen.

Looks like an interesting headlamp. Good to see more warm high CRI lights!

If that is the case then I’ll be avoiding.

Interesting, they claim a 2.2Wh battery which is equivalent to a 600mA Li-ion, or the average 16340/14500. Good alternative to those who don’t like the cylindrical format.

I would’ve preferred the charging cable on the side, this way you could run a cable around your head and then to a powerbank for extended run times.

Look nice to runner and work

Nice! Now lets see what the competition can do :laughing:

Another new light sold with batteries and does not accept standard lithium round rechargeable batteries.

Quite interesting. Looks almost like they took the TIP and flipped some things around. I’m not a runner at all but if the beam pattern is as wide and floody as the TIP, I might consider that as a task light. Hmmmmm….

Up for sale now at Battery Junction:

MSRP is pricier than I was expecting. I’m sure Banggood will have them under $20 at some point.

Considering its performance, the headlamp selling for the same price as the TIP was exactly what I was expecting.

Was actually thinking the exact same thing.

I love that design !
30$ is a bit high but in a few weeks, M4DM4X will come with a nice coupon for sure :smiley: