Convoy L2/L6 modding thread

SST40 is the way :smiley:

SST40 is a good idea but with a fresh battery and not so great MCPCB he could blow that too with his thick wires and bypass couldnt he?

Replace the old led with MCPCB to a copper DTP. I have one L2 built like that with TA fet driver. Bypassed springs everywhere and no problem. Mayve try 20 AWG wires at led and no problem.

Thanks contactcr & ZozzV6.

I knew the 18 AWG wire was unnecessary, but it hadn’t actually clicked that it could provide enough current to kill the LED. :person_facepalming:

I killed the XM-L2 in my Convoy M2 with a BLF X5/X6 driver too, but I just blamed the aluminium MCPCB. :blush:

I have a TA driver with 18AWG wire and an XP-L HI on copper MCPCB in my C8. It has seen a bit more use and seems to be holding up. However, a quick google suggests that around 5-6A is the max current for an XP-L HI too. I might do a rebuild with 20 AWG emitter wires this weekend just to be safe.

Back on the L2, how would an SST-40 compare to an XP-L HI in terms of throw?

The XP-L HI can take a few more amps than you suggest, maybe 8A.

The SST-40 can throw a bit more maybe 10-15% better (I cant remember if this requires dome mods). Not sure what tints you like but the lowest one is 6500K, otherwise it has high output and throw.

In L2 I only tried dedomed XM-L2 (1048m) and SST40 (830m) and dedomed XP-G2 (1150m) with FET driver with XPL-HI I only have stock L2 (752m)measurements.

If that helps something I have FET driver measurements in C8 with SST40, SST40 dedomed and XP-L HI in my measurement google tables
It is worth to look at the tables because I have a lot of beamshots there :wink:
Convoy C8 AR lens TA17 XP-L HI V2 1A 5.9A 1434lumens 93100cd 610,2m
Convoy C8 AR lens TA17 SST-40 N4 BA 8,6A 2232lumens 70500cd 531,0m
Convoy C8 AR lens TA17 SST-40 N4 BA dedomed 8,6A 2000lumens 136300cd 738,4m

XP-L HI never draw 8A from a single cell in my builds. Max 6A

The XP-L HI throws a bit better as you can see above numbers in C8 but the SST40 has bigger hot spot and more usable light.

What MOSFET are you using in your driver builds? The XP-L HI V3 is capable of 7+ amps. I have a few running 7.05-7.15amps running the SIR404 MOSFET.

My BLF GT XHP70.2 P2-1A 6v Running the Infineon MOSFET DD and 8 x 30Q’s pulls 22.3amps at the emitter, the SIR404 MOSFET barely broke 20amps.

My latest builds I used NEXPERIA PSMN1R0-30YLDX
My Convoy L6 XHP70.2 draws 17,6A with this and 18 AWG wires on the led.

New at this mod thing, but if I put a XHP35-Hi in my L6, would that alone make it a thrower and do I need to change the driver or will it work as is?

The stock XHP70 is 6V led and XHP35 HI is 12V so you need to change the driver.

I thought so thanks. Any idea if just changing to the XHP35 HI will make it a much better thrower? I do have the smooth reflector from Simon but I didn't notice much difference with the XHP70 in my L6.

If you find a driver to drive the XHP35 HI at about 2-2,5A it will be throwing well above 1 km.
The stock L6 with XHP70 throws 480-500m

Well that is good new, thanks a lot. I will be searching for that special driver then.

Soon Lexel will be building boost drivers.

Currently, people run 4 of the 26350 batteries and a certain driver. I can’t think of the driver model.

Would running 4x26350 in the L6 with the XHP35hi drop the run times by 50% since it will be using twice the voltage?

Twice the voltage, a fraction of the amperage… running the XHP-35 at 2A to 2.5A on the 2000mAh 26350’s should still, theoretically, allow an hour run time.

Richard makes a driver to do this, and the LD2 can be configured to do it as well.

an hour on turbo is about the same as the stock L6. RIchard, is that his username?

He’s the owner operator of Mountain Electronics. He makes many drivers for sale. His name on the forum is RMM, but he doesn’t post much here as he’s very busy with his store.

Thanks Jason. I've ordered from them before but never new his name.