Why need higher lumens while it can last only a few seconds before stepping down or getting too hot?

I have several lights that perform at or somewhat beyond 1000 lumens. My EDC is an O-light M18 Maverick that tops out at 500 lumens. I rarely use its upper mode—too bright for a work light. Like many others on this forum, I’ve been continuing to watch for an 18650 light that can project a 1500-2000 lumen beam for an extended period of time. I don’t know why.

If it can maintain that max output for at least 1 minute I’m OK with it as an optional burst mode. But with Nitecore HC33 I’m completely disappointed. Almost can’t measure the start output because when my lightmeter made the measuring it is already started to step down. It stepped down after 1-2 seconds. I made a beamshot yesterday and the light stepped down two steps while I running 3m-s from flashlight to the camera.
Once I could measure 1750 lumens of 1800.
10s: 1350lm
20s: 1250lm
30s: 1100lm
Room temperature was 22°C and it was on a shelf. What will happen in a hot summer night at 29-30°C?
That isn’t 1800 lumens for me :frowning:
So I sold it very fast.

Could be the cell used, or a crappy flash light… But could try holding it up on the head with your hand while testing. Your hand is actually a really good heat sink.

Saw you already sold it, but would have been a pretty nifty test

I dont like the darkness and for me, more light is better……

Personally I find burst mode TOTALLY useless, few seconds is the same of nothing! EDC light need to be a light which can supply even in an emergency condition too…. High lumens with a decent amount of minutes or a great runtime in mid mode :smiley:

High lumens are great even more in day time, imagine you with yours eyes conditined by daylight and you need to enter in a area very dark and with no time to adjust the diference……. 20~30 seconds are nothing!

I’m carrying a VG10 but its so dim for me in some cases, and I now I carry a MT01 but its anoying me filling my pants poket

The TC20 seems an outstanding EDC light, if it this light were cheaper I would buy :weary:

Cells:I tried brand new freshly charged LG HG2 and Samsung 30Q and Sanyo GA.
I want to use a headlamp to make my hands free. I think it is not my job to make a heatsink fog the light out of myself. The light is at me but I got the payment for it so I will send to the new owner tomorrow.
Outside in the cold it was better a bit but it is also started stepping down after 2 seconds but it could maintain 623 lumens.

…and then, thru the business models most of which operate within ‘economy of scarcity’ business models (planned obsolescence, branding, creating “needs”, addiction, technological chains…)…one even gets deprived of the basic necessities…despite advanced automation that could cover all human needs and abundance of natural resources :slight_smile:

Well, I have a use for short-term turbo modes.

I have various lights which are based on the BLF A6 driver, so they have a turbo mode of 1200 - 1300 lumens for about 40 seconds, then step down automatically to 800 lumens.

I find it really handy when I step out of a brightly lit supermarket at night, because I can whack the light into turbo and immediately be able to see where I’m going again. 40 seconds later, it steps down to 800 lumens just as my eyes have started to adapt and I’m ready for the lower mode.

Truly amazing, I’m not kidding :slight_smile:

Most of my lights are well beyond 1000lms. These lights include a 9000lm flashlight which is direct driven and can sustain above 1000lms indefinitely for over a long period of time. I don’t know what tech you guys are using but my bigger lights can easily sustain 1000+ lumens no sweat

It is just for marketing.
Stuff like the 25000lm flashlights from olight and stuff that only lasts 10 seconds before overheating and stepping down.
The bigger number you put on the box the more people will want to buy it because they don’t understand how it works.

Exactly

It’s just like the Megapixel race on cellphones a couple of years ago

Well, at least in cellphone cameras MP resolution doesn’t step down haha.

It’s the fun factor. Who needs over 5k lumens to complete a task? It’s not about practicality it’s about the excitement and pushing the boundaries. Nobody needs a 600 HP corvette but there are plenty of people that own a z06.

Well we are not all minimulists my friend. Lasers do not provide enough useful light to identify anything at any distance.
The horsepower race is no more important in real world use as the lumen race. Just it’s more socially accepted

The emisar d4 sure looks sweet, but is will get to hot to fast for me.
It stays a cool light tho :disguised_face:

Link to $8 laser please

I look at it this way. If I have a light that can do 2000 lumens for a minute, it’s a 1000 lumen light than can momentarily go higher. For instance if a car can go to 200mph on short runs, it can probably cruise comfortably at 100mph and have room for overtaking comfortably.

Can I think of actual use-case scenarios where I need 3000 lumens for 10 seconds only ?

Not really.

Lights with high power in tiny package are mostly a gimmick. A fun party-trick for those who already have many ‘practical’ lights.
There is nothing wrong with that, buy what you like.

Ok, so what lights are practical at 1000 lumens that don’t go higher, that are also easy to pocket?

Convoy C8, Convoy M1, Eagle Eye X6, Nitecore EC4….
Not all got 1000 lumens but they are near to that.