Manker versus Zebralight

All my flashlights turn ON and OFF with the same action and I won’t buy any flashlight that doesn’t work like that. It’s a personal preference

But apart from the long click for off, there are more differences between manker and zebralight, such as:
-Build quality, much better in zebralight
-Quality control: manker doesn’t seem to have a good QC
-Efficiency: Zebralight is a step forward here, for example the new U12 looks very inefficient
-Lumens, at least my Manker T01s: claimed 400lm in turbo but barely made 270lm in my integrating sphere, whereas my SC5W II makes 470lm measured

Interesting!

Reading this, something occurred to me.

Compact, slim, efficient, good design overall, not very user serviceable by any metric, has one or two consistent “bugs” or “flaws”, not a lot of distinct models compared to some other manufacturers, good QA and QC.

Am I talking about Zebralight or Apple? :D

Of course, there are major differences. Apples easily break when dropped, Zebralights don’t (usually). Apple seems to be the most expensive of the well known smartphone brands, and there lots of flashlight brands more expensive than Zebralight, etc.

I just thought that it was an interesting comparison. :)

Thank you Jon, hope life is treating you well :+1:

I don’t have the sc5c mkII any more, as I just could not enjoy the yellow beam. I actually got a 6300k sc62 in its place and much easier on my eye(think clean/pure white , colours not too washed out nor exaggerated). It’s nicer than I actually expected, but the 5000k 62d is my preferred.

Ven,

What’s the light in the second picture to the left of the thrunite?

Well, I’m a Zebralight fanboy, but I also own Mankers. But as you’d expect, I think Zebralight wins on almost every count except throw and price. Manker isn’t bad, it’s just not up to the same level as Zebralight yet.

I know there’s been discussions of the “tint lottery” with Zebralight, but I’ve never been displeased with the tint I’ve received. My last purchase (the SC600w MkIV HI) has a wonderful tint! I’d say it’s pretty close to “Nichia 219” good.

I’ve never bought the “c” and “d” versions of their tints, though. I generally stick to the “w” versions, for best compromise between tint and output.

Lumapower , old AA/14500 light which CRX modded to a very nice 219c 4000k.

Trust model-1?

Honestly its not even close. Manker even billed themselves as a “zebralight killer” when their first light came out, they know who their competition is, but they’re not there yet. Efficiency isn’t there, PID/regulation definitely isn’t there, UI isn’t there, build quality isn’t there. There’s just nothing out there like a Zebralight, as a total package. There’s only two places that I’ll give the nod to Manker:

• Mod-ability. I do like lights I can mod and keep up to date myself, at least capable of emitter swaps with reasonable effort. Zebralights fail this test hard, but Mankers can be worked in.
  • Onboard charging. To be honest I usually care absolutely zero for this feature - onboard charging is useless to me. But some folks like, or even need, it. So for them, again, Zebralight isn’t the right choice.

I would like to see a side by side beamshot. A lot of people CLAIM their flashlight has great tint, and compare it to N219. But do they post a photo?:slight_smile:

Let me tell you, even the N219c is no match for an N219b. The 219c is certainly brighter, but its also considerably yellow/greener, as shown by the light in the middle:

And the High CRI Zebras dont even come close to an N219b in terms of Red content. Look at the R9 values, and look at the red bar
(the following images are from maukka’s posts: Lumintop Tool AAA Copper + Titanium measurements (Nichia 219B) and Zebralight SC5Fc measurements (AA, warm tint))

Also look at the spectrum, can you see how much less Red the Zebra LED produces?:

The W Zebras are not in the same league, they have lower CRI than either of the above LEDs.

Maybe someone will post photos of their W Zebra compared to an N219b

I quite like the latest Zebralights.

Currently EDC’ing an SC64w.

It’s small and compact. At 1400 lumens, it’s not blazingly bright like my D4s, but is more practical as it doesn’t ramp down as fast and stabilizes at a higher output than the D4.

Decent drop resistance too. Dropped mine last night from about 4 feet onto a wooden floor. The light continues to function perfectly and suffered no damage… not even a scratch on the anodizing.

Is there a way to measure estimate driver efficiency without disassembling the light, maybe by taking lumen outputs, a battery of known capacity, runtime numbers, and LED data sheets? I’d like to figure out what it is for my E03H.

I edc’ed an SC62w for most of a year, honestly I liked it so much I quit buying lights for many months, which isn’t something I’ve done often. They’re great lights. In that almost-year, mine took all sorts of abuse. It was dropped more times than I can recall, even from up on ladders and such, tossed around all over the place. I don’t carry it much anymore but its still the light I let my 4-yr old son borrow. If a 4-yr old boy can’t break it, its a pretty strong light :slight_smile:

Yes! Out of the box it was ok, beam pretty cold though. Thanks to crx, it’s much nicer.

I got an SC62d when they came out and it stopped my flashlight hobby (nearly) dead in its tracks. Had spent so much time and money screwing with different lights but that one just checked all the boxes. They were released 1/9/14 and I’m yet to find something that beats it for great EDC. Love their headlamps also. That price though!
OTOH $I keep buying budget lights that I like and try my darndest to find a use for… but the SC62 clips so smoothly right in the corner of my pocket and has never missed a beat.
Ugh. I should just sell all of my lights and knives and just keep what I carry.

Regarding Pablo’s question: You can find an opinion to support buying either.
I’m really used to the ZL UI, easy to get to any level quickly. I like that the UI never drastically changes as new models are released, just adds some tweaks here and there, basic operation stays the same.
The clips are amazing.
If you’re picky about tint and variation across the profile they can be a problem. No issue with the philips LUXEON T in the SC62d, but I’ve had some others that were all over the place.
IMHO they should include a 5000k option on all their lights for those of us who don’t want to be on the losing side of their lottery.
I’ve had Zebralights since their first AA headlamp was released and by now they’re ironed out most of the problems.
You’re correct regarding user serviceability, they used to be hard to swap emitters, now they’re harder! Get the tint you want cuz you’ll be stuck with it.

I was in an “AA only” phase for safety reasons but got lured into 18650 by the incredible runtimes and output. I still appreciate the philosophy though. Safe, small, easy to find in emergency.
Since you’re open to other brands maybe consider using a features/functions/qualities checklist and just going with the one that satisfies the most requirements. Then run that candidate by the gang.

Ooh, I recently tried Olight and am slowly becoming a fan. They’re about 1/2 of Zebralight prices when you find the on sale but a little more than standard budget stuff.

Great post. @bansuri
I like olight copper, sadly they offer no high cri AA
https://www.illumn.com/olight-s1a-cu-raw-copper-baton-xm-l2-600-lumens.html
30% off w code blacknovember, works on other lights too

I’ll give the credit to Manker’s R&D TEAM. They’re the original design many great popular lights such as E11, U21& E14. All others manufacture Lumintop, Astrolux, utorch, Mateminco just copycats of Manker’s design. However, Manker needs to improve their UI & build quality.
Zebralight are great over all lights not much to complain about! Tint issue is basic on Cree emitter problem, IMO. However, the Whole ZL produce line up are lack of new design. Similar design use for years only slightly change & improve. I pretty much lost interested their new SC64xx , SC600 mk IV & H604xx this year.
Zebralight’s produce Reminds me of Apple’s iphone 4 to 8+ :weary:

Thanks Jon_, and thanks for reminding me of that darn blacknovember code! I’ve got a couple from it but there’s one more calling…
Now Firelight2 has got me thinking I should upgrade to 1400 lumen version of my current ZL. :cry:
Oh well, I tell myself that there are folks who spend way more than this on a night out at the bar.

Clearance Sale Now!! E02,E02H and E03H 50% OFF

mankers have terrible switches
they are not serviceable either
at least u11 and i think e11

Any news here? Have a H53 and love it. But E03h II looks nice as well :-). Are there still these quality issues at Manker’s?