BLF Interest list for Very High Current Beryllium Copper springs Pt1(ENDED)

Yeah, he was somewhat a Jeckle & Hyde…… :wink:

I don’t know what you mean.

I can’t read whether you’re being serious or not. For those who don’t know the meme, it goes like “If you can’t take me at my [worst] you don’t deserve me at my [best].” To make the joke relevant, you change the words [worst] and [best] to suit the context. I was making a reference to Tom Tom’s mood versus his apparent knowledge (comparing him to Tom E whom I have much respect for).

Sorry, I don’t get most memes. I know that one, but don’t understand the name references. What do these two guys have in common?

Just that they both have “Tom” in their name, and both are (apparently) skilled in electronics (Tom Tom seems to know hardware and Tom E writes software/firmware).

For the avoidance of doubt, Tom E and I (Tom Tom) are in no way connected.

Tom E is a very nice man, and it is a pity that he has gone dark, as with so many other creative people last year. Perhaps think, and worry, about why that happened.

It became quite brutal, not just in public but mostly by disturbing PMs. From individuals who expressed a strongly parochial bias towards their idea of home country.

I ducked out for quite a while. Really quite poisonous and bigoted, but nowadays it seems to be calmer.

Teacher has a theory about me, which I’m not going to dispute :wink:

I will admit that unless I am talking about something that is region specific, I hardly ever even notice where someone is from. It simply has no bearing on what I will say in other cases.

:smiley: :+1:

Can you update the first post with the small springs?
And what the springs are capable? (small, big, double)
Are the dimensions of the big still the same? I know some changed, but can’t remember which one.

Any tricks to solder the springs? Temperatur, kind of solder.

Recommended Traces for the PCB?

Oh yeah. Completely forgot about posting a picture on BLF for the small springs :person_facepalming:

The big springs is capable of 13-14A alone, the small spring 7A, and in a dual array, it can do about 20A.

The dimensions of the big springs have been upped from 12mm to 13mm to account for some plastic deformation in the first full compression.

Fully compressed 2 secondsx20, the min height is 12,1mm, so a 0,9mm drop, as expected.

To solder the spring on a board, use a heatgun and solder paste. The first method is just to put some solder paste on the spring pad, put the spring on, turn on the heatgun and see the magic happen.

If you don’t have one, get 63/37 solder and a hotplate, along with a solder iron of course :slight_smile:

Get the hotplate to 80-120°C for preheating. Tin the spring pads with quite a bit of solder. Put the spring while the iron is still heating up the surface with some hemostats.

Do that for all the springs, then turn off the hotplate and let the PCB cool down.

What you want to do is add some solder on the springs’ bases for them to stay put and better bonding with the spring. Do that for all the springs.

For a single spring, I would go with a temperature of 350°C, and for 3-4 springs, I would go with 380°C, as the spring tailcap PCBs can wick away heat like mad.

Have PM’s been sent out yet?

Yes. You and joechina, along with a few others, will be PMed soon, as you are next in line.

I have started shipping out the full set of springs to many members, PMing about 10-13/week, perhaps more if I have the time.

UPDATE 7

Some pics of the small springs.

A pic of the big and small spring in a dual spring array.

Thu, 09/13/2018 - 21:56……………….

Well…… No “special package” & no “box”, but the springs that were shipped got here!! :+1: … :beer:

• 51 Big springs in a zip lock bag & 58 Small springs in another zip lock bag.
  • Both Zip lock bags sealed in a pre addressed letter/legal size envelope
  • Sealed envelope was then covered with a copious amount of 2 inch clear packing tape. And I mean completely covered!!! . . :+1: :+1: :beer:

EXCELLENT PACKING JOB ’BLUE’!!
This was packed right………… & it got here too. :smiley:

Looking forward to the rest of my Big Springs from the next batch, whenever that happens. :wink:

Thanks Blue…… :beer:

This dual setup looks quite potent. I really hope they will become available with affordable international shipping soon!

Oh GOD thank you.

And wut? I did put return addresses on the letters… I’ll check.

Edit: Ohhhh frick. I used the wrong envelopes on the first+second shipping batches. The first envelopes ran out, so I now use the tougher envelopes with the address preprinted on them. I’d like to take pics, but my phone is down temporarily.

Damn it. I wonder why I never do these kind of mistakes in other hobbies. It’s really strange.

That you know of. :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps. It’s better to do these kinds of mistakes once, and never do them again.

BTW, I did a build recently with a dual spring array on a Q8, and the results were very nice :slight_smile:

My lumen numbers on the Q8 with the normal lens were 5230 lumens.

My numbers on the Q8 with the Kaidomain AR lens were 5649 lumens at 30 seconds, with brass screws.

My numbers on the Q8 with the replaced springs and AR lens are now at 6764 lumens at 30 seconds, with brass screws.

These tests were all done with 4x Samsung 30Qs at 4,19V.

Next, bypass the PCB traces, to gain even more (I don’t know how much, but Dale always does).