Next gen P60

I’ve been a long time proponent of single cell duty lights. I’m a big fan of the P60 format for it’s Lego ability and it’s overall “They got it right” feel. I’ve been introduced to one of the Chinese light manufacturer’s and designer through a sales rep. I’m emailing back and forth about revamping the P60 style for the newer cells and brighter or longer out puts. They used to make a P60 clone themselves. I suggested redesigning a host only for the 20700/21700 cells and sent specs on their current battery sizes along with some specs from U.S. cottage manufacturers that included a few quad designs. Mr. Li believes that this path might not be worth the effort. I proposed a host only, not a complete light. Weighing 110 grams vs the current 90 gram 18650 and an enlarged tail cap capable of 10 amps. I want the extra mass for heat management and a slightly heavier bezel/head with fins as none are being made now. In a nut shell I’m trying to convince him to manufacture a 20700/21700 P60 host only. Part of the idea is that the market is no longer flooded with clones. The format and use is still viable hence profitable. Older lights can be re-hosted to bring them to Tesla stats. Old lights can be made to look new with only a host change out. I want the head, bezel, dropin pocket, switch pocket to all remain the same to continue the inter changeability.

I’d like to ask for your input and ideas. If it looks like a winner to send him the link to this post.

Thanks,
Paul

I am assuming the new drop-ins would get new emitters, which have more light, power and more heat. How would the heat transfer be facilitated in this new host compared to the traditional P60 drop-in design?
Thanks.

When I first got into flashlights, it was because of p60 lights and I still like them. I would think the hosts would still do well since p60 pills are still abundant on Chinese online stores. I would definitely be in for some 20700/21700 hosts. I think one of the key upgrade factors would be a good pocket clip.

I think it's a shame the p60 lifhts aren't popular anymore these days.

I think it's good for the environment as well :D Just drop in the combo of driver and LED what you really want instead of a complete new light.

I would be interested. Good for a quad pill. Copper host would be even better.

I have a few Surefire D26 (P60) Quad/Triples and D36 lights, bored out for 18mm batteries. Member kiriba-ru made me some over size Quad/Triple pills for my P60 builds. I hand fit them to a Heavy Press fit for heat transfer, got tired of copper wrapping them. Made a punch out of nylon to press them back out if need be…

D36

D36 thermal potted XHP70.2 @ 14+amps 2xAspires.

Subscribed…. :heart_eyes: :+1:

Solarforce L2T still my most used light…

Thanks for the response so far. Remember this is just an Aluminum host. No dropin and no Copper, just an affordable host.

The biggest problem with the standard P60 design with high output (or any drop in), is the lack of contact, thermal transmission between drop in and host. I wanted to come up with a re-designed V lock tapered pill and host body, I still might for myself (one offs) some day, because straight wall would be to hard to obtain this kind of contact. I know this is not what you would be interested in, it was just a thought I had many moons ago! :smiley:

so if the dropin is a copper pill and really, really tight there are no/fewer thermal issues? Your solution with the nylon part looks great.

Typical P60 drop in measures 21.66-21.8mm by my examples I have on hand, the Solar Force L2T host diameter is 22.6mm, so quite an air gap, it may touch the host at the brass base or hanging up on the reflector itself, this will vary naturally from manufacture to manufacture of the P60 drop in and host.

Of course the more contact the better….and there will always be thermal issues with over driving LED’s, the P60 by design just needs much more help thermally.

That explains it, thanks for the link and the details. I have an old Solarforce somewhere and need to take a good look at it.

:wink: :+1: Have Fun!!

Randy Brogden, PFlexPro met back when he had only a E-Bay listing. He worked with me putting together some drop in’s for Surefire lights I was boring out for 18650’s. We had great fun, he even named a spring after me…he’s a funny guy… :smiley:

He is the P60 Guru! :+1:

This is amazing, I didn’t know people are still this focused on P60 designs. All the new lights have no P60 available, but apparently this is proof for how great the idea was back in the day.

To be fair I’m always EDC’ing my Seraph SP6 clone over my other tube lights

Man I still love it over my Solarforce L2m