Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

Are you proposing a new small light plan?

Do you guys prefer sofirn start designing big monster lights first or mini but powerful first?

I would focus on finishing the current lights in development like the SP70, Q8 v1.5 or v2.0, etc… and see how it goes.

The new 3 volt xhp50.2 in a Q8 can boost output to over 14k lumen. That might be an easy light to build. Basically just change the mcpcb to fit the 5x5 footprint and then adjust the reflector to fit. Same for the C8F 21700. 3 x 50.2 with a 21700 battery would be really bright.

1. Personally, mini but powerful is my choice.

2. Big & powerful next choice.

3. MONSTER Lights last choice…. Work on these slowly & create it so it can sustain Turbo for more than 30 seconds. :wink:
And of course, as Jason said; finish the SP70. :+1:

Small and powerful first since they are easier to do. I would love something similar to the Fireflies E07 or Emisar D18 w/ USB-C recharge.

sofirn’s plan of the first heallamp was: two version, one short version SP40A has short battery tube for 18350 or 16340 with sst20 4000K for 700LM;the other is standard version SP40B has 18650 tube with XPL for 1200LM

What sofirn worries is SP40A will have short runtime if push sst20 4000K to 700LM, is it worth for the sacrifice?

Big & powerful next choice please: 3* or 4*XHP50 (or XHP70) +3* or 4*18650.

’As far as I personally am concerned’ the SP40A is a waste of time. For these two reasons:

• 1. Short runtime with 18350 or 16340.
  • 2. From all the different reports I have read about the SST20 4000K the Tint is horrible & “good tints” are almost impossible to acquire.

Therefore…. I think it is a waste of time. (only ’my’ opinion… :wink: ) But I know for sure I would not / will not, buy one.

Why not do one headlamp with two battery tubes?

I don’t need high power in a headlamp because I usually use it at fairly short distances. A good user interface is important.

No, not at all. I’m proposing a business model where you give users a wizard letting them configure a customized light. The small variant was just an example.

Today when one buys Emisar D4S they can choose:

• LED
  • body colour
  • aux LED colour
  • should the tailcap have a magnet?
  • optional equipment:
    • battery
    • charger
    • extra tailcap (for users who sometimes want a magnet and sometimes don’t)

I propose doing more of the same. Initially not necessarily more. But ultimately - much more.

Mini but powerful first please :wink:

In my opinion: Long runtime is one of the most important things for muggles.
I’m sure they don’t care if it’s 500 LM or 700 LM as long as there is long runtime and decent throw.

My preference is monster lights. I feel ‘mini but powrful’ is covered reasonably well by the Q8, SP36 and C8F. There are output gains to be made from those lights (e.g. by using the new 3 volt XHP50.2 emitters) but I would much prefer something a bit bigger for more thermal mass to be able to sustain ~5,000 lumens without overheating. The only thing when it comes to the bigger lights is that I feel a boost driver is required for me to be able to justify spending the extra on what is meant to be a high-end product. The boost driver is the main reason (among others) why I went with the AceBeam X45 instead of the HaikeLite MT09R.

Small powerful and with one of the UI’s like the FW3A or D4s

Small as possible 18650 first.

As above, a small EDC with interesting options - but please some options in the 4500-5000K range!

Agree. Why not offer both 18650 and 18350 tubes for the same unit? Most of the time I use my H03 and Armytek Elf in shorty mode but put in the 18650 tube if long runtime is needed. Having the option to go small and more portable is always worth it for me even at the expense of runtime.

+1

And (as I’m not a fan of tactical light and prefer only one side button) I would like to suggest a shape for such a small light similar (resembling without being identical) to:
Nitecore MH20 or Manker U11 or Zebralight SC64w or Emisar D4 or DQG Tiny 4th

@Sofirn: I’d rather concentrate on offering more emitter options instead of going for diversification.

For instance…

- SP32A V2.0 runs great with LH351D (any tint)

- SP31 V2.0 runs great with SST-20 (any tint)

- SC31 looks better with XP-G2 instead XP-G3

- C8F works fine with LH351D and XP-L HI

- SP36 with XP-L HI or SST-20 would be great for more throw

• Q8 with Luxeon V, SST-40 or XHP50.2 3V

Moreover, more choices of tint and CRI would be fine. Please also offer neutralwhite/warmwhite emitter options, e.g. Cree LEDs with tints at 3D (4.885K), 5D (4.000K) and 7A (3.000K).

Last but not least, please don’t let us down with the Q8 extension tubes! We want it!!! :heart_eyes: :money_mouth_face:

LH351D is great! I have a Sofirn SP10b changed emitter on the LH351D 4000K 90cri - it’s beautiful. I would prefer to get this option from the store Sofirn.

+++1, though I'd include the Lumintop SDMini and might make it a 21700 light.