Emisar D3AA is available now

Good catch. I peered at photos and the optics did look squarish but I couldn’t tell for sure. So is this a custom optic from Carclo or are the square optics available? The beamshot looks like the optic has the characteristics of the Carclo 10621 which would be my choice but it would be nice to have options.

I like XPL-HI 5000k and 6500k but they’re an added $20 to a price that’s already expensive for me. Have to do some reading about SST20 5000k and 6500k before I decide.

from what I've read the dt8 has a carclo optic that is the equivalent of the quad carclo 10621, not the 10622 that Hank sells d4/KR4 with. And I run my d4 and KR4 with 10621 that I buy elsewhere, but I have to imagine that even though the carclo 10610 (I think is what dt8 has) is similar to the 10621 quad, it is still different than the d4 with 10621. I don't know.. I'm just going to wait on this one for some reviews from people. The throw is the most interesting part to me.

Hi Hank,
Current lenses on my recent D4V2 and KR1 increase the duv by about 0.0010~0.0012, it makes the light slightly greener, this is much better than my D4S on which the lens increases the duv by ~0.0030, still it would be great if you could source lenses with higher quality AR coating that has even less effect on the tint. As an example I have several Kaidomain AR coated lenses and they increase the duv only by 0.0002~0.0003.

The green reflecting AR lenses that Wildtrail has used in their D80 V2 even lower the duv. I have to back that up with measurements I realise, may do that…

Interesting, I suppose there are many kinds of AR coatings, my eyeglasses for example have a light cyan reflection and lower CCT and duv very slightly.

Here is the backup. My Luckysun D80 from a few years back came with a purple coated lens, my Wildtrail D80 V2 from last year came with a green coated lens. I tested the tint in the hotspot of the same flashlight (D80 V2 modded with sliced “dogfart” led) on the same setting (350mA) without, with purple and with green lens. (I forgot to write down the CCT with the purple lens, sorry about that).

Thanks for the data, the reflected color looks like some sort of turquoise hence the slight CCT decrease, I don’t know why it seems that AR coatings have to reflect some wavelengths, but IMO delta –0.0010 is preferable to any duv increase.

I had this thought when the D80 V2 came out, thanks for mentioning this. It’s good to know I wasn’t imagining the duv shift.

I also think a version of the D4 that has variable tint would be an interesting light. 4 emitters would be a tradeoff for output versus compatibility with optics, but I think it would be a good tradeoff for an uncommon feature like variable tint.

I think the driver could be similar to the KR4. Instead of the two channels being 5A constant current + FET, they could be 5A + 5A constant current. This should still produce 1200 lumens or more.

Anduril has a setting to increase output when tint mixing, by default at middle tint both channel will be at 70% instead of 50%, if I understand correctly:

#ifdef USE_TINT_RAMPING
        #ifndef TINT_RAMPING_CORRECTION
        #define TINT_RAMPING_CORRECTION 26  // 140% brightness at middle tint
        #endif

But instead of that I think that there should be an option for 100% on both channel for turbo, meaning turbo will be only middle tint but IMO that’s not a problem. This would need to be implemented by Toykeeper.

This only works with tint ramping with 2 power channels, not one power channel shared between the two LED channels (Sofirn IF25), but I think Anduril only works with the former anyway.

Mine just landed. Darn nice light. Looking forward to dark.

So… did dark ever happened to you? :smiley:

I agree

It’s seems many who appreciate the finer details of the modern flashlight have Hank lights, custom versions etc. I have a fair led light collection yet not a single Emisar light. In not sure where to start maybe the D4v2 it seems popular.

The D4V1 was my first, (this was back in the day!). It has been on from there. Now since we are in modern times, (joking, it wasn’t that long ago!), I would highly recommend the newer version of the same and say to get the D4V2 you speak of. Emisar really are my favorite lights. That is coming from someone with over 150 lights by various brands.

I defintely do not have anywhere near as many lights or Hank lights as others on here, but I have about 15 of Hanks lights, and I am a KR4 / KR1 fan. I carry either one everyday, but most the kr4. I have it in a couple emitters all of which are good. I would say if you like tail switches do kr4, if you like side switch go with d4v2. Don't bother with the 18350 tubes as these lights are compact enough. But either way you would not be disappointed!

oh, and if you are bot in the market for an edc but want a thrower, get the entry level prices CULPM1 (white) K1. For $89 or whatever it is, you will not find a more fun thrower. EDIT: it has good throw and good usable spill for an osram LED. When I light up targets a couple hundred yards out The hotspot is a really nice larger size.

D4V2 Ti is probably the single best way to enter Hankland. Emitter choice needs to match how you plan to use it.

I like the Ti feel and durability much better than the aluminum, so I never recommend the aluminum as a result.

I’m itching to get another one of these but have a question. Does the E21A D4V2 use the same driver as the E21A KR4? Constant current + direct drive?

I don’t see the XPL-HI T6 8D option on the website. Can you tell me where you ordered it?

I would have never guessed the purple AR lens would make the tint more green than the green AR lens. Not very intuitive.