Which is better? Shadow Mini T6 or N-light ST50

I'm currently looking for a compact 18650 light, something smaller than my Solarforce L2t.

Which is better? Or are there any other option.

Would appreciate it if anyone could show a pic of them comparing with Solarforce L2 series lights.

Thanks

They are different lights with different options in my opinion.

ST50 has a better tactical value and a better grip. The grip ring can will act as a Anti roll ring also.

The modes are different also.

I personally think you get more out of the ST50 compared to the Mini-T6.

I am expecting the ST50 to arrive.

Thanks Hikelite

Maybe the deal breaker for me is the size of the light, Also leaning towards getting the ST50.

Hopefully someone has pix to compare.

Your welcome Ian2381, even if I didn't said much.

I see, your main interest is the size.

ian2381:

I have the ST50 and also looked at the Mini T6. I use mine as a helmet light when bicycling. I chose the ST50 mainly for the smooth reflector, as a thrower is better on the helmet (use a flood on the bars), also it has a turbo mode (620lm vs 500lm). It works well for it's intended purpose. Other than the anti-roll ring on the ST50, they are basically the same size form, but the T6 is 5mm longer (ST50 dimension is listed at 120mm, but I've measured it and looked up the same light at CNQ - it's 130mm). Since the AR Ring is removable, comes down to which light output you like better, flood vs throw? Price is identical. Hikelite is right about grip too. The T6 is sexy but looks kinda slippery.

The ST50 is very well made solid light. Nice review of it over at CPF. I think 2100 has one as well.

Thanks for the response BetweenRides,

Throw/Flood is not important but size matter most, do you have any P60 size light like the SF L2 to compare? Planning of using this as a pocket light. I Just felt my L2t is too big to carry in my pocket where in my Xeno E03 on 14500 just don't have enough runtime.

I don't own a SF L2, but looking at dimension published, it is just slightly larger than either the ST50 or the T6.

Length for each is:

ST50 = 130mm (5.12")
T6 = 135mm (5.3")
SFL2 = 146mm (5.25")

Diameter for each is:

ST50 & T6 = 27mm (1.06")
SFL2 = 32mm (1.25") [Edit: This is head size; Body is also 27mm]

Just my opinion but the size for any of these seem kinda of large for a pocket light, but I would think the T6 would be the most comfortable of the three. Have you considered an AA size for your purposes?

I would get the ST50 without hesitation.

The Mini-T6 isn't driven very hard according to the specs listed, which is the only I passed on it. Otherwise, I was impressed with the minimalist design and size. Looks like it might be a tough choice I think you're safe either way although you might get more output from the ST50. Both are quality manufacturers/brands.

Thanks for size comparison, Yes I've been carrying AA and AAA size lights in my pocket for the past 3 years but now I'm really craving for more power and runtime on a pocket light specially when I'm not carrying a bag with me.

I understand completely. I carry a Yezl Z1 in my coat pocket for the increased power. Here's another one for your consideration. Slightly higher price, but very nice quality, smaller size and Shiningbeam ships fast.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-208/ShiningBeam-S-dsh-mini-XM-dsh-L-T6/Detail

Seems to be a good option but At 1A on high is that underdriven?

Saw another light but with R5 led only

N-light Limited Edition

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/nlight-limited-edition-r5-18650-flashlight-p-313.html

Hank from Intl O just sent me the dimensions including the new light.

It looks small and price is on a budget.

N-light ST50: 130mm * 25.5mm

N-light limited edition: 121.5mm * 24mm

Mini T6: 135mm * 27mm

Asked him now if there is a tint option for the limited edition, seems to be another good option.

I didn't realize the Mini is slightly larger than the ST-50. By appearance the Mini seems smaller. I would still go with either of those two just because of the XM-L since you want the pocket rocket ;)

The S-Mini from SB is definitely underdriven but it will give you an 400 honest lumens. The advantage is smaller form for pocket and longer runtime. I like the N-Light limited edition, thought about suggesting it but it only has 260 lumens. For that you could get an XM-L AA that would be even smaller, and as weiser noted, the first two choices also give you an XM-L. Anyway, I think you have some nice options to choose from - good luck and let us know what you decide.

I also was in search of a small, but bright 18650 light, and had the Xeno E03 for a while as "jacket EDC". But I also wanted to have momentary on (and therefore a UI with separate controls for on/off and mode change), a neutral white LED, and no 3min (or similar) stepdown.

In the end i settled for the ThruNite TN12 NW: relatively small, about 600 lumen without stepdown, momentary on, rotate head for mode switch, no PWM.

In the size comparison the lights are exactly aligned with the camera plane, so size is proportional to pixel dimensions in the image.

From left to right: AW IMR 14500, Redilast 18650 2900mAh, Xeno E03 NW (with the IMR 14500 in the beamshots), Shiningbeam S-Mini XP-G R5 CW, ThruNite TN12 NW, N-light ST50 NW

And the other way around:

Also I made some Very short range beamshots (15,5cm from bezel to wall), with +2EV, +1EV, 0, -1EV and -2EV. You can see that the Shiningbeam S-Mini XP-G R5 CW is expectedly blueish with auto white balance, and the ThruNite TN12 NW is unexpectedly warm for a "neutral white". Also the camera showed PWM even in the highest mode on the S-Mini, which is not noticeable in real life.

After a few minutes of capturing the beamshots, the S-Mini was cool to the touch, the N-ST50 was a bit warm, the Xeno E03 was hot, and the TN12 was nearly too hot to touch - room temperature was 22°C.

Picture

asd

ST50 has neutral white T6 3C option.... so that's another factor.

Totally underrated and underappreciated lights. I have the ST50 and love it. But I want the S-Mini. Soon I will have both.

Tonight my son called me from Moab after a 2 hour mountain bike night ride. Baja Designs Strykr (mine) on the bars, ST50 (also mine) mounted on the helmet. His words - "the flashlight was perfect! Everywhere I turned my head, this thing lit up the night. One of the best rides I've ever had."

This is why I got into flashlights...

I'm after a pocketable 18650 light (must have the ability to use 2x CR123 with step-down circuit) with decent output >=350 and medium throw. At this range there are many lights including Fenix PD32, but I'm now settled at somewhere between Thrunite TN12 and N-Light ST50. Thrunite looks better in design but N-Light still has the price advantage. Which would you guys buy? Or any other lights you can push into the formula?

Let me summarized a bit:

- Smaller than SF L2

- 18650 and 2x CR123

- >= 350 lm

- Must have 3 or more brightness levels, <20lm, ~150lm and Max at least.

- Forward clicky

- Not pure flood