Brinyte PD03A Q5 (1xAAA) .... a post from the past

Some more pics:

@ VFM: Ohhh! So you tighten to turn on! I lost my twistie cherry (sounds like an ice lolly) a long time ago, but it was to a AAA mag. Several of them actually; I replaced at least twice as each one lost a vital part of itself, until I learned my lesson. Hard to even remember now, but I'm sure the Mags came on by loosening. I can see that having to tighten would make accidental activation a lot harder.

Vectrex, yes, greater resistance would play a big part too. Looking at your last couple of pics, are there only two sections to these lights? I've been imagining three, again as I remember the Maglites. Two sections would be a huge improvement. Things are looking up.. The DGQ does look very nice, but at $33 it might have to stay on the wish list rather than the shopping list

Kreisler, you surprised me. I've done a dew searches, including Over There. Had no idea AAA clickies were so scarce (or so expensive!) The magnetic Brynite looks favourite at the moment. Another learning curve. Thanks chaps

Ah yes. I should have remembered that you had some AA MiniMags and of course they turn on by loosening so I can see why you assumed the E09 would be the same.

Actually its very simple how modern twisties work. There is no switch. The threads are anodised and so do not conduct the current. Its not until the end of the threaded piece touches the driver (when tightened) that contact is mode.

BTW I've not seen the black magnetted version of the Brinyte (the PD03B) around for some time. But there are still some red units left around. All the pics above and discussions are of the PD03A non-magnetted version.

I'm with you VFM. This red one? PD03B I hoisted it straight from Vectrex's OP. Maybe I'd better just grab it while it's there. Are these twisties just two pieces, i.e one less joint to keep an eye on? Or does this vary from model to model?

3 pieces on the A model, but the 2 front parts are glued together on mine, so it behaves like a 2 pieces light.

Thx Vectrex. Just ordered the red PD30B from Easylight. Had to join their club before I could buy; felt strange typing in personal details to Chinese website. Get enough spam from Amazon, @&*# them. Still, at least if there are any problems, at least I've got an order no., unlike with DD. Fingers crossed..

Looking at the pics of that red PD03B I'm not convinced it is a 'B'. It looks to me like a red 'A'.

Hmm. I'll let you know. If it is the 'A' then I'll get to try out Easylight's refund policy at the same time. Although TBH I doubt I'll have the patience. Sigh. Chinese lotto..

EDIT:

Just had another close look at Easylight's pics; FWIW the one shown there definitely has PD03B on it's side. Just have to wait and see, as usual :\

It looks like a "B" to me.

Found a video of the "A" model.. beam pattern and brightness looks like mine:

Yes, that's the pic. What the heck, for £12 quid I'm not really losing out even if they do send me the 'A' model if it's as nice as yours.

EDIT:

Wow, that's bright! I still can't get used to seeing that much light coming from such a tiny torch Yes, if mine is like that I guess I could live without a magnet.

May the Chinese flashlight gods rule in your favor. ;-)

Edit: Don't forget that he filmed in complete darkness and that most cameras adapt to the overall brightness of the room. Some seem to have gotten unglued heads or broke the glue seal:

Thanks mate. And even without a magnet, at least I'd still have Jehova mode!

LOL

Yep the lettering is right but in the other pics the end is hollow just as with the 'A' and no sign of a magnet unless its very small, very centralized and therefore not visible in the shots?

Hmm... since I don't own the B model I really can't tell. The "magnetic" stuff was mentioned on several sites, I have never seen it in action though.

official webpage:

I had the impression back in 2010 that it had a magnetic tail, because of the search results.

Or unless it fell out and no-one noticed :\ If it isn't magnetic, I wonder what difference there might be with the 'A' then? All other functions look the same in the google vids. Be interesting to see..

Btw, (going OT here) has anyone ever tried attaching their own tail magnet, do we know? I wondered about the possibility with the Z1 and although I've changed my mind about getting one, I'm still curious about a DIY magnetic tail. I'm sure I read something somewhere but all search results are about magnetic switches..

I had a black neodymium magnet hot glued into the tail of my Ultrafire 602C AAA twisty. Very similar to the Brinyte PD03A with the same type of tail. Didn't epoxy it since I wanted it removable.

How well did it work? And did you find that it was "removable" by accident, like maybe when plucking the torch from a metal surface (i.e. torch in hand, magnet left behind)?