WTT - FW3D (damascus)

The threads at the head end are a little loose for my preferences but I could live with that. What I can’t live with is the 1mm gap at the head end. I don’t really know how this came about, I’m wondering if I did the old one whole millimetre out on the digital calipers trick somewhere along the line :zipper_mouth_face:

I ‘was’ going to do the bezel and cap over the button but I’m not sure what to do with it now :question: I could probably trim the inner tube to suit but that would limit the types of cells that would fit.

Any suggestions on how I might salvage it ? Or anyone want to trade for it ? Though I have a rather specific want for trading - an fw3a modified with a lexel aux lights board and reflashed driver to suit.

Just put a second clip and fill the gap. Dual clips!

Lol, that’s an idea I didn’t think of :+1:

no pictures

They’re showing for me. Here’s a direct address to one of the pics. Does it load for you? Never mind, it won’t let me directly link it. I get an error sign when i click it.

Win10
Firefox, Chrome, Edge all the same issue

Nor me, I think you need to be signed into google?

Maybe so. It looks like they’re hosted on google drive.

That’s still good. I’d put a washer or o-ring there and make it even more waterproof? Or a plastic colored ring to give it a splash of color? :slight_smile: Nothing a little bit of creativity wouldn’t take care of :slight_smile: How does one go about getting the wood look finish? That looks great! Maybe can fashion a real hard wood ring.

Doh! Apologies. Fixed now?

Copper washer turned into a gasket?

Clear resin epoxy + Glow power gasket?

Wood like to know also.

Timascus

Brass spacer would work fine, or make allowances in the driver bay

Looks absolutely beautiful!

My vote, here.
I’m guessing the springs have a bit of give if you shorten it the simplest way, but then you get into that annoying “unprotected, flat top short 18650s only” territory.

Such a pretty hunk of metal to leave it that way or give away. Maybe this needs to accompany your “when a light doesn’t want to get built” thread :stuck_out_tongue:

That was my suggestion. You beat me to it.

The steel is Damascus. It’s different grades of steel layered and forged. I didn’t do the forging, I just bought a stock bar. For the grain to show it needs to be bathed in acid. The title was taken from Teacher’s list -

I think I like that suggestion :+1:

I wasn’t planning on doing the head as well, just the bezel, body and end cap. If I cannot make it work then I guess I will make the head and tail as well.

Thanks RC :beer:

Yeh, don’t really want to go down that road of ‘short cells only’. Do you think this is maybe a sign that i’m not cut out for making flashlights…?? :laughing: :smiley: :laughing:

A red o-ring

(insert your favorite contrasting color if not red)

That’s not what mistakes mean. Mistakes mean an opportunity to learn!
When possible, I try to take the opportunities others provide, but I create plenty of my own :wink:

Make a brass / Copper / other metal accent ring?