WildTrail WT90 - SBT90.2 1800m+ throw 90mm 3x 21700 With Texas_Ace driver

Texas, just curious - how do you think one of the osram emitters would fare in this light? Am I wrong in assuming the massive reflector will give insane throw from a W1 or W2?

Has anyone tried a w1 swap into this light?

If I’m reading things correctly, the pic above shows 2.27ma, not .23ma. The former is 10x the latter. ?

Yep, 10X. An OSRAM thrower, like the best one is the green W1, could or should do well but it may not be so simple. Sometimes the design of the reflector does well for some LED's, not well for others, So going from a big surface LED to a tiny one might not fair well for this reflector's design, but who knows til you try it. Of course some crazy tweaking for focusing may be needed to get the best performance.

Pardon my ignorance, but is the “charging drain” the loss of capacity as it’s charging? And wouldn’t you want that to be as low as possible? .23ma as opposed to 2.3ma?
I’m pretty new to all of this.

Well, it's not charging drain, it's parasitic drain coming from the charging circuit - charging is not going on at the time. The 0.23 mA was measured across it all - batteries in the carrier and the driver. 0.23 mA is 230 uA (micro amps), most of which comes from the switch LED's that are on when measured. Usually the driver is under 40 uA and the carrier/charging circuitry should have a drain of at or near 0.

Correct but that picture is from TomE’s test of the prototype, not the latest batch. The latest report we have is that it is now 0.23ma.

I also got a reply that says they fixed the parasitic drain the carrier to back this up.

Any word on when this was fixed? I just received my WT90 yesterday, purchased about 10 days ago from aliexpress. Is there anyway to verify this other than measuring myself?

If you got it directly from wildtrail on ailexpress pretty darn good chance it is fixed. If from banggood or another reseller it is much harder to know.

Is there any serialization on these lights? Still not home to check… but i’ll add a data point soon

I don’t think so.

I’m overall really pleased with the WT90. More so that WildTrail has been so good about fixing the known issues with it. Bravo!

Just getting into this hobby, and ordered one of these as my first thrower.

I’m still not sure what 21700’s are good for this to balance capacity and current. The manual says protected button tops won’t fit, but will unprotected button tops fit? What’s the voltage where output starts to visibly drop and I should recharge?

I am far from an expert in 21700’s, I only have 1 set myself and forgot the exact model off-hand lol.

That said pretty much all lithium batteries work the same, better off recharging more often. The lower the voltage goes each cycle the faster they wear out. Same for max voltage technically, by only charging to ~4-4.1v they will last a lot longer.

That said for flashlight use this is not really a big deal for most. I generally recharge either when I know the light has been used for awhile or when I notice it is not as bright as it used to be. Generally ends up being in the mid-low 3v range. Try to not go below 3v as a rule, they are ok until 2.5v but below 3v causes extra wear.

I like the Samsung 40T's for this light, or equivalent. Probably the VTC6A cells are close, though haven't tried them. You don't need button tops for this light to fit and make contact in the carrier, but button tops should fit. Here's what the carrier looks like:

Those brass buttons work well with flat tops. The best cell to use is hard to find, or expensive, the Samsung 50S or Vapcell T50 here. It's 5000 mAh and very close to the performance of the 40T. But the Vapcell T42 here looks very promising at 4200 mAh and excellent performance.

Just fyi, a set of 4 T42's there costs $46 and a set of 4 T50's costs $75 -- crazy. I have a set of T50's but bought them before their huge bump in price.

I got a set of 4 Molicell P42A's for $31 shipped in August from the 18650 Battery store here, but now they are sold out, but that's a pretty good deal.

IMR Batteries has the VTC6A and 40T, but sold out on the P42A as well.

Ohh this Lishen looks very interesting: https://www.18650batterystore.com/collections/21700-batteries/products/lishen-21700-4000mah-35a-battery-lr2170la

at $4 each right now. I don't have them and can't vouch for them - best to research reviews and feedback.

After reading through the first few pages of this thread I bought a set of those (because, really, at $4 each you can’t go wrong) and a set of Samsung 40Ts (review here) for my incoming WT90. I haven’t used either, but I’m sure they’ll both be fine.

Cool, I’ll look into those suggestions.

Out of curiosity, how difficult/feasible is it to flash different firmware onto the driver (like modified Narsil, Anduril 1 & 2)? Does the light need to be disassembled, or are the flashing pads easily reachable?

Interesting how this light went from 100MPH to 5MPH. Why was the interest reduced so much?

Yes, it has the lexel flashing pads and can be flashed without removing the driver if you have the flashing key.

Covid plays a big role, people don’t have much disposable income now days so you get the few that do off the bat and then it peters out.