9) LEDs, light output and beamshots
10) Conclusions
11) Aspects positive
12) Negative aspects
13) Neutral aspects
14) Final grade
15) Discount Coupon

1) Disclaimer

If my English is good, you can congratulate me. If my english is bad, you can blame google translate

Mine is a review focused on usage impressions, for measurements and other technical data I refer to other reviews and other sites.

The flashlight was sent to me by the 77 Outdoor store: the Sofirn store on Amazon Italy:
https://www.amazon.it/s?me=A52EM5ARE67D ... 6JRA9NG5V4

More and more often I find myself using flashlights during my excursions or in daily life, therefore I define myself as a user who has also become passionate over time.
In addition to indicating objective data and measurements, I will always try to be very clear in highlighting strengths and weaknesses, in explaining the impressions during use and what I would like to see or obtain.
All photos, info, measurements, unless otherwise indicated, are my own flour.
I do all this because I enjoy it, mine is a hobby and a pleasure, in life I do anything else, so I apologize in advance to the professionals of the sector, to the enthusiasts and to the simple users for the mistakes that surely are and will be present in mine pages.
If you notice errors, typos or have other reports to make, please let us know, I will be happy to update my pages with your reports.

2) Premise
In general, almost all the torches have an isolation system from dust and water through silicone gaskets, however not all have a high level of IP certification and not all are suitable for working underwater or in environments where an excellent degree of protection.
The SD02B is IPX8 certified, waterproof up to 100m, has 2 pairs of o-rings on the body and is fitted with a hi-CRI neutral color LED.

This picture is take from Sofirn site.

3) Introduction
I have known the Sofirn brand for some time and one of their flashlights the IF25A is one of the tools I use most frequently.
The brand has grown over time, updating and adding models to the line-up.
In this case we are in the diving flashlight category or a series of products designed to work immersed in water and the SD02B represents the entry model.
When ordering on the store of the parent company you can choose whether or not to opt for the battery and the color temperature of the LED:
while in the 77 Outdoor shop, currently, the flashlight is only available with battery and only in the 5000k version.

4) Packaging:
The Sofirn comes in a single-wave brown cardboard where on the outside we find a white label indicating the model, while inside we find the bubble wrap, the instruction manual, a bag with 2 spare o-rings , lanyard, flashlight and 3000mAh 18650 battery.

5) Materials, assembly, processing, finishes, anodizing:
The torch is in aluminum in the classic black anodizing.
The manual reports a type III type of anti-abrasive finish, however during the test, especially during the photographic shots, after placing the flashlight on the rocks, I chipped the coating in several places, especially in the most angular parts.
Honestly I would have expected a more resistant treatment, given the specifications.
These are small points, purely aesthetic signs that do not compromise functioning in the least, but which I prefer to point out.
The external millings are well made, there are no burrs or imperfections, as well as for the threads that run smoothly.

Bezel:
in aluminum, smooth, not machined, it has a generous height that wraps most of the head.
We find two prints: the writing diving and other information including the serial number; slight imperfections and misalignments are noted.
The Bezel is glued, very difficult to unscrew and as per the manual, proceeding with the disassembly risks compromising the waterproofing and voiding the warranty.

Lens:
tempered glass.

Reflector:
SMO.

Head:
Below the bezel, we find a ring that recalls that of the SD05 for the magnetic control of the levels, but here it has only an aesthetic function.
Just below we find the gray magnetic switch. Quite pronounced, during use it is very easy to find even in the dark, has a nice long stroke and the actuation is always very soft and pleasant.
Proceeding downwards we find the neck, with a smaller diameter, also worked with circular millings.

Body:
it is completely smooth, there is only the brand logo and the model name. The printing of the graphemes, as well as in the bezel, is not very accurate, inaccuracies and misalignments are noted.
On the body I would have preferred a minimum of processing such as a knurling or a milling to increase the grip during use, especially during use in water.

Tail:
wide, the longitudinal processing makes it easy to grip it to unscrew it.
We find the printed battery symbol and the hole for the passage of the lanyard.
Although it is flat, in the presence of the lanyard it will not be possible to position the flashlight vertically, because the knot of the lanyard will not allow a solid support. I would have preferred a different solution, such as to allow the torch to be used vertically even with the lanyard installed.
The magnet is absent.

Threads:
All of good workmanship, there are no burrs or machining defects, the segments screw very smoothly and easily. There is a uniform layer of fat.

O-ring:
The bezel is glued so it is difficult to tell if there are 1 or 2 o-rings in the head, but between the head and body and the body and tail there are 4 o-rings arranged in pairs.
The double gasket serves to improve the level of waterproofing which is a fundamental aspect in this type of model.

Lanyard:
much larger than the classic lanyards that are normally found with torches, it is partly covered with a black silicone sheath.
There is a stopper for length adjustment, medium in size and easy to operate.
All very useful features when diving or canoeing especially when wearing gloves.

6) Specifications:
• LED: Samsung Lh351D
K5000
Lumens 1200
• Material: Aluminum alloy
• Low voltage warning: yes
• Reverse polarity protection: yes
• Lens type: mineral with hardening treatment
• Reflector: SMO
• Switch position: head
• Memory: yes
• Tail stand: yes
• Luminous flux: 1200LM
• Battery: Sofirn 18650 3000mAh
• Format : Head / body: 40mm / 25mm
• Length:
144mm • Weight of the flashlight without battery: 182g
• Warranty: the after sales service gives one year of warranty
• Water resistance: IPX8

7) User interface:
With flashlight off:
• Single click: goes directly to the memory level

From flashlight on:
• Single click: goes to the upper or lower step: low-50lm; med-220lm; high-500lm; turbo-1200lm
• Long click: turns off

This picture is take by Sofirn Site.

8) Experience of use:
In addition to diving we can consider it EDC: weight and dimensions not excessive allow it to be transported quite easily every day.
It holds well, the switch is at the right distance, comfortable and pleasant to operate even with gloves.
I would have preferred a processing on the body to increase grip, in view of use in the water.

I took the torch with me, during a canoe trip, it ended up in the water several times, I left it immersed at a depth of about 3m for about 45 minutes and finally I immersed it in a few cm for the photo shoot.
At the end of the day, inside, it was perfectly dry and the humidity under the lens or on the reflector was absent.
With my use, it passed the test perfectly.

In the water it was always left at maximum power and even after many minutes it was always cold: the dissipation of heat in water is much better than that in ambient air.

In environments like these, the neutral color (5000k) and the high color rendering (90CRI) are very appreciated.

The magnetic switch always performed very well, both in and out of the water.
Activating it after the dive, it will continue for some time to let water escape from the gap between the switch and the bezel, which is completely physiological.

The interface is minimal and devoted to simplicity.
The heat management takes place when the threshold temperature set at 55 degrees is reached, the stepdown occurs after 4-5 minutes from the insertion of the turbo but it depends on the environmental conditions.
In water this is an event that will practically never happen: the heat produced is not very much and in immersion it dissipates much better.

9) Led, light output and beamshots:
Last but not least we come to the crucial aspect of each flashlight: led and light emitted, which in this case I consider cross and delight for a series of aspects, which I will explain below:

The Samsung LH351D led 5000k 90CRI

I met this led on a sad occasion, when I ordered 5 to mod the IF25A (you can find everything in the dedicated topic on cpfitaliaforum).
The result was disastrous because the units had a strong green cast, but I was wondering if it was only my units that had these characteristics or if they were all like that.
The answer to the question came soon:
in this case the LED behaves clearly better, as per measurements, which were carried out at 100% brightness on 18% gray card.

Light
beam The light beam is characterized by a large, not very bright spill and a concentrated spot.

Although not very marked there are some aspects that I do not like:
- Green dominant especially in the crown around the spot
- Color variation

- Central area of ​​the greenish spot.

The greenish center of the sport is visible above all by positioning the beam on white or gray objects, in everyday use it will be more difficult to notice these things, but not impossible, as in case of use on snow, in caves or in whitish quarries.
From the photo it is not possible to grasp this last aspect, if not increasing the vividness and saturation of the frame.

Despite the 5000k and 90CRI, the light emitted by this flashlight doesn't drive me crazy: I don't like the color cast and the color variations.
This LH351D is far better than the ones sent to me earlier by Sofirn, but it can't convince me.
Generally these Samsungs, at least on paper, are excellent LEDs, because they combine excellent color rendering and the right color temperature with good efficiency, too bad that so far I have not yet been able to find a unit that satisfies me.

Some night shots:

I apologize for these photos, I left the tripod at home:

10) Conclusions
This Sofirn is a great choice for those looking for an entry-level diving torch at a competitive price.
Usability is excellent, waterproofing has always been maintained and the switch has been found to be suitable.
It has all the features to perform the task for which it was designed very well.
If you are not a fanatic, like me, of the color and dominants of the LEDs, then it could be for you.

11) Positive aspects:
1) Excellent quality / price ratio compared to other diving torches.
2) Compact dimensions and a good power also make it a good EDC.
3) Minimal UI: definitely a plus for those looking for something simple.
4) 5000k and 90CRI.

12) Negative aspects:
1) The passage hole for the lanyard reduces its functionality and does not allow it to be used vertically if necessary.
2) Color dominant and hue variation: moderate aspects, for many users this may not be a problem.
3) Anodizing: it chipped quite easily despite being described as type III.
4) Only two spare o-rings and absence of these products on the official store or on the amazon store.
I consider the gaskets, on products like these, vital elements, which should be changed at regular intervals of time.
I contacted the assistance and I was informed that it is possible to obtain them, through the after-sales service.
I'd rather see them in the catalog.

13) Neutral aspects:
1) Errors in the manual and on the website: the flashlight is described with an orange peel reflector but in reality it is equipped with a SMO. After reading the review, he contacted customer service and told me that the errors will be corrected within 15 days.
2) Micro-usb port of the charger.
3) The graphics are not accurate.
4) The concentrated spot could make the flashlight impractical for taking pictures.

14) Final rating:
7.5/10

15) Discount coupon
Currently on the store there is a 15% discount to which you can add a 20% coupon,
for a total discount of 35% and a final price, including battery, around € 30.

Just enter this code in the appropriate box:
sofirnsd02b

The code will be valid for the entire month of July.

Perfect review!!! congrats!!! Here you have a video using it underwater ;)

Hy Hyosung,
thank you so much.

Very nice video, congrats! :wink: