Wurkkos TS10 excessive battery drain

Approx. how much bright are Orange Aux on both levels?

High: very bright
Low: not bright at all

Low you can’t really see in daylight and even in the dark would only help you locate the light if you are a few feet away.

High is brighter than the lowest output on the main LEDs and despite a bit of a funky beam profile works as a sort of moonlight.

Not sure if this is hardware controlled. I’d have thought more software on current and percentage of current.

If this is true, I wonder if there is a resistor in series with the Aux LEDs even in high mode. If so, one COULD mod the driver and change the value to something higher, so that perhaps a month of AUX battery on high mode is attainable and the AUX LEDs do something more than barely help to find the light in the dark.

I’ve got no complaint really on low mode, just wonder what is the art of “possible”. My red aux LEDs on low are very easy to see across the room in the dark with my TS10 pointing at the ceiling on the nightstand.

I like the Red Aux on Low for nightstand use. A couple of people have been able to alter the High Aux with a resistor.

Here is one mention:
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/y9hegv/nld_uadair21_modded_ts10/

Nice!

Here is one of Adair21’s ads:

Wurkkos TS10 - $55 shipped
battery included
choice of E21A emitters
resistor mod to lower aux brightness

:+1:

Thanks for that. I knew I had read about the resistor mod. Not only on the TS10, but others. Thanks for finding the good info.

you are very welcome :beer:

thank you for the encouraging words

Thanks for this lead jon_slider.

Hmm, I think I have the materials to make this change myself, but I’m not sure how easy/hard it is to access the other side of the driver board. Guessing I could get a reasonable guess at a resistor value if I saw the one used presently. Guessing its 10 ohm or less for a 3 day draining of a 4.2V battery. probably 50 - 100 ohm would do the trick. Guessing the internal resistor in the MCU is 1k ohm

Both Adair21 and zumlin
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/wc32ep/i_lowered_the_high_aux_on_my_ts10_adjustable_too/
have been very generous in sharing info… suggest you message them if you have questions,

The internal resistor is around 35 kOhm. I’d add a 1 kOhm resistor in series at the MCPCB side.

Thanks jon_slider and SammysHP, looks like my estimates were off by an order of magnitude. I hadn’t considered that increasing the resistance would be possible without removing the driver, but it makes sense, as the wires need to go up to the light PCB. I’ve already got that exposed, so I’m possibly well on my way here. . . .

congrats… maybe take a few pictures :wink:

Indeed, but it will take a few days.

I tried the 1/4W resistors I have readily available, much too big. I’ll have to see what I have at my disposal at work next week in terms of 1/10W resistors.

Likely a project for over the Thanksgiving break.

no hurry

good things take time :beer:

My thoughts and work on reducing the aux LED brightness Continued in a new thread

My blue-aux TS10 has been running for around a week with aux on high, the battery is 3.5V

So I think around 10-14 days to drain a cell. Maybe they have changed something, or maybe the “3 days” was an inaccurate estimate.

In any case I don’t care. The point of high aux is to be high. If you want aux which lasts for months then switch to low.

Different color aux lights have different current levels. Red is on the higher end.

Anyone know how long the blinking mode lasts?