[Review] Convoy M21A with SFT40

The images in this review are from Convoy, and the images are being used with Convoy's permission.

Intro

All of the images in this review are of the Convoy M21A, though some of the flashlights have different LEDs than the SFT40.

I used a program called Topaz Gigapixel AI to improve the image quality.

I received this Convoy M21A with SFT40, along with the stainless bezel, on January 9th, 2023.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802867012382.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832627744276.html

Why the Convoy M21A?

I chose the M21A because I already have the Convoy S16, and I wanted a similar flashlight with a larger head (also with a tail switch.)

I really like the Luminus SFT40 emitter because that is the best budget throwy emitter right now.

Flashlight body

I love the M21A flashlight body.

It fits in my hand even better than the S16.
(I have extra large hands.)

I think the M21A is even better looking than the S16, which means that the M21A is my best looking Convoy flashlight.

The optional stainless steel bezel on the M21A is a nice touch that I don't mind spend a few extra dollars on.

I also like tail switches, so the M21A is a good match for me.

Beam profile

With the optional steel bezel, the beam profile is extremely ringy around the edges.

If ringiness bothers you, don't get the optional steel bezel.

I got used to the ringiness pretty quickly, and my flashlight is more protected with the steel bezel.

Convoy 12 group driver

I had trouble with the Convoy 12 group driver again.

I'm now thinking that my two flashlights with that driver are not defective--I just have trouble with that driver.

This time, it took me about half an hour of trying and trying again just to enter config mode (and therefore get my flashlight configured the way I want it.)

I press the tail switch with my thumb, and I learned that I have less trouble with my left thumb compared to my right thumb.

This is a little bit unexpected because I am right-handed, but whatever works, works.

Tint

The tint on the lowest brightnesses is kinda green.

I don't use the lowest brightnesses, so it's a non-issue for me.

This emitter only comes in cool white.

The tint isn't bad for cool white (it's a bit neutral-ish white), but I prefer much warmer tints like 2700K warm white.

Throw

This flashlight throws way better than my S16.

Part of the reason is that the reflector is wider, but another part is that the emitter is better focused with this reflector.

Brightness and heat

The M21A is quite bright, especially on 100%.

The M21A does not get hot quickly on 100%, which is nice because the S16 did get hot quickly on 100%.

Conclusion and recap

Overall, I really love this flashlight.

My only serious complaint is the 12 group driver, but that seems to be more of a "me" problem than a universal problem.

The flashlight body is very nice.

I don't like the ringiness of the beam, but that's pretty minor.

The tint is okay though I wish the emitter came in a much warmer tint.

The throw is superb, which is my favorite feature.

This flashlight barely fits in my shorts pocket.

The flashlight actually pokes out of my pocket a little, but because the flashlight is front heavy, it doesn't fall out of my pocket even when sitting.

If you're looking for a very throwy budget 21700 flashlight with a tail switch, the Convoy M21A with SFT40 is a superb choice.

The End

Great synopsis. Handsome, no-frills torch. I have the CSLPM1.TG 6A version, and it’s still my favorite thrower. Thanks for mentioning the ringyness issue with the SS bezel as I was contemplating one for mine. Guess I’ll skip it.
A lot of people have frustrations with the 12 mode driver…I know I did. Eventually I figured out how to get into program mode by not being so deliberate with the number of presses and just waiting for the light to react indicating it was ready for commands. My problem now is remembering whether it’s the first or second programming prompt to switch modes/set memory (LOL)!

Glad you like it.

Thanks!

Yeah, if you don't like ringiness, skip the steel bezel.

My biggest complaint with my Convoy S16 (after owning it for a while) is that the head isn't big enough, so the M21A is just about perfect for me.

The M21A's head is the same size as the C8.

I'm now wondering if I should have gone with a thrower with an XHP70.3 emitter.

It wouldn't have as much throw, but it would have way more output.

Hey RC. Some people have blacked out the inner surface of SS bezel to eliminate the rings but you probably knew that. Well have fun with your new FL.

Howdy, pennzy!

I read about that, but the ringiness doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it.

It's a good tip for others, though.

I have M21A SFT 40 in desert tan colour of the case. I write about it and throwing capability in few topics and what else to say than I am very satisfied.
I have L21B with the same diode and I can say that M21A is more usable for everyday usage and have a little better battery life.

Try the L21b with 70.3 HI

1 Thank

Hi,

Regarding M21A. I see on several places that is 2300 lumens with SFT40.

Nobody mentions how many cds? Do you know how many CDs this light has? Throw is important to me. Thanks

If you are to place an order for this light, get the 8A buck driver option. The extra $3 is totally worth it. I bought the driver separately just to put it into my existing M21A which I had for one year. It’s a good pocketable thrower. I’ve been eyeing the L21B for a while but it’s size would mean I’d most likely leave it at home.

1 Thank

I’ll bite, as someone who already owns the 6A version. Does the 8A buck just mean higher temps and slightly more output?

Higher efficiency which means longer battery life, but only at similar output level. If you keep blasting it at 8A you will get more output and less runtime but the efficiency should still be higher.

1 Thank

Nice!
I like higher efficiency, with the option of more output (with less runtime.) :+1:

Have you had the chance to compare the 6A and 8A side-by-side?

If so, how significant is the output increase, and how much faster does the 8A get hot in the hand? I bought the 8A version of the M21B SFT40 last year, but it got hot so quickly that it didn’t stay in the collection very long, so I’m a little wary about that part of it. I try not to repeat my mistakes whenever I can!

Edit: I might wait until the SFT40 5000K is available on the 8A model to pull the trigger, if I do.

1 Thank

Ive been trying to find a direct comparo also.

There is a youtbe vid comparing the 6a m21a with the 8a m21b. Both sft40. The difference at 1-200m is negligible. Slight edge to m21a perhaps.
So one would assume that 30% more amps into the sft40 would make a noticeable difference.
Stil… wanna see it though.

1 Thank