Suppose you wanted to buy a medium small flashlight (about P60 or A8 size), what mode order would you prefer?

You can see the archived poll results on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221220093741/https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/72599

Interesting. I am looking forward to the result.

Me too! :slight_smile:

Mid-Low-High with no memory...

I have a driver from DX with this layout and I really like it as Medium is good for most of my work, low is just a click away, and if I need the extra brightness, I can then go to high. Without memory, I'm able to cycle through without having to hit any of the annoying strobe modes.

I prefer it to start on High, but as long as it has memory, I can live with it starting on FF.

I did vote but it probably be none of the above tbh. I’d be quite happy with 2 modes; high and 10% (between mid and low). No strobe.

I’m not against moonlight mode but would want a physical way of selecting it such as loosen the head or click and hold or double click on activation.

I like memory as it really doesn’t matter the order of the modes then. But it has to be a good memory not the stupid next mode memory so many budget lights suffer from.

I voted for option #1, but I would accept options 2 or 4. I do like the idea of what keltex78 says. I have that driver bookmarked to try out some time.

-Garry

Flawed question - to me a 26650 A8 is not medium small in the oem LED flashlight world (it would be my largest single cell LED and my 2nd largest LED overall).

Even with my very small LED light inventory there are too many lights to worry about memorizing the last mode setting or to predict which one will come up first.

When protecting my night vision is important I cover the lens so that I control the flood until output is confirmed. OR, I only use a light I keep set on FF (EDC AA backup lights or under-volted fauxton). That is even easier than clicking through modes I don’t want.

I voted moon low with memory, starting on high is for throwers not edc lights, and before anyone says, I spend 99% of my time in contractors pants or cargoes, I can drop a smallsun zy-t08 into most of my pockets. An a8 is small to me, not much bigger than my new edc.

I would prefer “Moonlight”, “Flashlight”, and “Let there be Light” modes.

As of current, 60% of the choices goes to having memory.

If that is the case, why bother so much about how the mode is arranged? A H-M-L is practically a L-H-M or a M-H-L with memory, and same with mode reverse.

I understand the mode arrangement is crucial with no-memory, but since most prefers memory, I just don't get how one gets too picky about it.

P.S: My glitchy BLF MINI starts at random mode, how's that for a choice?

Maybe someone with a A8 can verify if mode memory on it works. If it doesn’t, it probably won’t on this version.

With the mini, TF didn’t do anything except change the sequence of the modes around. The 10 second delayed reset to low was still there.

+1

I voted for the first option, but if the “moon” is a real 0.1 lumen and the “low” is a usable, let’s say 8 lumen I would slightly prefer “moon” to be better at the end of the cycle. I don’t need it that often, so it saves me one click to get to the “everyday-usable” low.

But for bigger lights (speak: throwers) a high-med-low order is also acceptable.
But please no memory! IMO you really get used to press the clicky two times to get to high if you need it, it only takes 0,5 seconds. But if you have memory and dont use the light very very often the day, you first have to check in wich mode you are right now, and then have to cycle to the mode you want, it takes so much longer, especially if you dont recognize the mode you are in instantly, wich happens at least to me quite often.

Voted moon first w/ memory but different lights / different mode types. On a dive light I would like a beacon( hidden) and no moon. A bike light, Low, med, high, no memory. A smallish lower power edc, single mode, ~500 - 700mA.

Medium, low, high, strobe. No memory. Best for edc and idiots who can barely switch the thing on.

A light that can take a 26650 isn't a small/med . size light

They almost called it ...fatty :P

I voted for option 1 which is my preferred configuration, though having no memory is more important to me than the actual mode sequence. I have changed drivers on most of my lights that came with mode memory.

I voted High-Med-Low-Moon, with memory.

I wish all of my lights had that particular arrangement.

For a EDC there is only one possibility for me: (Moon)-Low-Mid-High

In most everyday situations I don’t need (and mostly don’t even want) ~800 lumens of light. If I drop my keys in the cinema I want to see wants under my seat, I don’t want to fight the projector ;).
If you want/need more light it isn’t too hard to switch through them modes, you don’t have any disadvanteges from the lower modes. Vice versa you might blind and annoy yourself and others . . .

Alex

I love this…. new 2.8A driver with 5 groups , and multi-modes, no soldering needed.

Waiting for stock at DX KD MF ….