How important is a flashlight clip to you, and what type?

You can see the archived poll results on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221220093741/https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/72964

The main reason I want a light to have a clip is for its anti-roll properties. I don’t clip them to anything.

agree, anti roll is a requirement for me, so a clip is a Must Have.

For me, the best clips are screwed on, and attach to the tail for bezel down carry, like the two on the right:

for small lights such as the Wurkkos TS10, I like the option to clip the light to a basebal cap but the stock clip does not work on a hat, it is too tight. I found a clip that works well on a hat: (I think its from an Olight, not sure, it was in my parts bin)

i never use a light clip on my pants pocket—knife on belt, light on cap.

i wish they would design the clips with a bigger and deeper loop section. This would be handy on either a belt or cap; the pitiful excuse for a loop spring seen on most lights is a joke.

Same holds true for knife clips, i have one that is too tight to slip on a pocket much less a belt—totally useless and screwed on with crappy button head cap screws that cammed out such that it can’t be removed. :rage:

It’s not that it is important to have one, but it is very important to have one that does not suck.

A lot of the two-way clips included with lights just aren’t good as 2 way clips at all. They are mostly too stiff or too small (speaking about smaller lights mostly) - and those would benefit form a slightly smaller, simple - yet useful, one-way clip.

Although I’m not a fan of clips, nor do I use one, I completely agree with your point - if one is supplied then it needs to be fit for purpose for sure. You wouldn’t think it would be the hardest part of the whole light production design and manufacture process to make a good clip, but it always seems to be an afterthought if my experiences reading on here are correct.
Either way, to please everyone - whatever the clip may be, type, good or bad - I’d appreciate it not being fitted so the user can choose to do it if they want it.

Missing an option for prefer all my lights without a clip and would prefer if the manufacturers saved themselves the time and expense of including one.

I don’t consider it an edc if I can’t clip it to my hat. That’s just me of course.

Both is Best:

Anti-roll and if I can position it correctly it helps me find a side power button that has little tactile feel.
On the lights I do this to, I know the power button is just to the right of the clip.
All the Best,
Jeff

I’m a pocket carrier. Clips add to the bulk and discomfort. I don’t like anything hanging from my belt or clipped to a pocket. I think it all relates back to when I was young enough to run or wrestle you to the ground without losing anything. :smiley:

Clips look wrong in my opinion.
I always take them off if pre-installed.

Clips are super important. A relatively deep carry (doesn’t have to be full “deep carry” but pretty good), ideally tail-up, and captive is best.

I prefer lights with clips, but only to keep them from rolling off a horizontal surface. Of course no clip would be necessary if the shape somehow had an anti-roll design.

If the light is s side switch type I also use a clip to find the switch position without looking.

Overall I like clips on my EDCs to prevent them from moving around (and going perpendicular) in my pocket and to keep them from rolling off of surfaces.

But I’m having a hard time putting them on my 2 recent copper S2+s since I don’t think it will look the best. If only they made copper clips!!!

ME TOO
anti roll
and locating the side switch
i never clip to anything either

wle

Yes, this!

I use them for anti-roll, and side-switch and grip indexing. It’ll look off centered and irritating to those with OCD but it’s my grip on that light I’m indexing (example: IF25A with clip).

My pocketknives have to have a clip.

My flashlights don't because I never use flashlight clips.

My current method of carry is a tec p7 clip.

Keeps the light out of the way, yet easy to get to.

I hate having a big round lump of metal near the top of the pocket when I’m reaching for my keys, etc - I’ll clip a bigger light there when I’m using it, but those lights usually live in my bag. (And in that circumstance, I prefer zebralight style clips)