Review: ThruNite TN30 with measurements and outdoor beamshots

ThruNite TN30

ThruNite has made many lights, this is their most powerful light to date. It has 3 XM-L leds and uses a magnetic ring for mode selection and standby, on/off is controlled with a tail switch.
The light is made of aluminum with hard anodized (Type 3) finish.

The light is delivered in an aluminium case.

It contains the light, a lanyard including a split ring, a holster, spare O-rings and a manual.

The light uses a smooth reflector with 3 XM-L leds.

The head designed includes a some heat sink fins.

Just below the heat sink part is the ring to control the light. The ring turns smoothly and has good clicks.

The light has six brightness settings, standby and strobe on the ring.

The backside of the head has a spring for connection to the battery carrier.

The battery tube has triangular threads with anodizing and a O-ring to seal the connection.

The knurling has some bite to it.

The tail has not one, but two springs. This is because the light has an electronic switch. This electronic switch reduces the wear on the mechanical switch, and the price is an insignificant current draw (20uA-50uA).
The switch is a forward switch, i.e. press it half way down for momentary on.

The light uses a battery carrier, that holds 3 18650 batteries in series. The carrier can handle batteries up to 70 mm long, but the fattest batteries are a very tight fit (See my battery size measurements).

It has a small metal plate on the plus contact, i.e. it can use flattop batteries

The carrier is symmetric, i.e. it can be used both ways in the light.

Here is all the part the light can be disassembled in without tools.

A look at the leds.

The supplied holster.

I am impressed with this light, it is bright and works very well. The ring is a nice way to select brightness and it covers a very wide range of brightness settings, from the 1 lumen "moonlight", up to a very revealing 2700 lumen setting.

Technical specification and measurements

The light is rated for use with 3 18650 LiIon batteries.

Measured size and weight:
Length: 179 mm
Diameter: 49 mm to 64.4 mm
Weight: 611 gram with 3xIO18650-31

The light uses a 3 Cree XM-L U2 leds.

In the above table I have collected all modes. The current is measured at 11.1 volt. All the estimated runtimes are with a 3100mAh LiIon battery.

The first voltage sweep is done in high mode. The light uses a buck regulator and because the brightness starts dropping at 10 volt my guess is that the leds are in series. To find the battery that gives longest runtime on full brightness, check my battery comparison and find the longest yellow bar in the 3.4 volt chart.

To reduce heat and increase runtime the light will drop slightly in brightness after 2 minutes.

There is no surprise in the lower brightness settings, they uses less power and has less brightness. They do also stabilize the light at a lower voltage.

When doing the runtime it can be seen that the light reduces the brightness after about 2 minutes, this is done to reduce the heat. At the high setting the light can run about 70 minutes before it is down to 50% brightness.

The strobe is a "random" strobe, with 6.8 hz and 14.5 hz

The turn on in the strobe is a bit slow, but not anything visible.

The light is current controlled, but on the #2 setting there is some 1.2 kHz noise ion the light. I did not see any noise on the other settings.

Comparison to other Flashlights

ThruNite TN30, ThruNite TN31, ThruNite Scorpion V2 with turbo head:

Fenix TK70, Klarus XT20, NiteCore TM11:

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here

Notes

The light was supplied by ThruNite for review.

Nice review HKJ,I have been wondering about the stepdown on high,is it based on temperature or a certain time parameter as in the light will step down no matter what after xx minutes?Thanks again for a very informative review.

I believe the two minute step down is timer based.

Thanks for yet another awesome review!

Factual and to the point as usual. Wonderful light it seems although I wonder if you - and I realise this is totally subjective - think that the light is worth the asking price of approximately 240 usd that I have seen it offered for at one of the regular flashlight vendors?

It is a lot of money, but the difference it not large compared to Fenix TK70 and NiteCore TM11 and in many situations I would prefer the TN30.

I.e. I do not believe the price is to high, but like everybody else I would have preferred it to be cheaper.

What I see in this light is:

• A very high output light.
  • A huge brightness adjustment range.
  • A ring to select brightness (I like ring UI).
  • Good construction.
  • No pwm (This is only important for some people)

If you only want the "high output" part it is easy to find budget lights, but if you want all of the above, your choice is limited.

Hkequipment has it for $220.

Thanks for a great review, HKJ. Beautiful light.

I think if the price was about $150, it would be selling like candies, nevermind if it was at $150 many would go for a group buy for an even better price.

Thanks for the good reviews & pics!

Thanks for the good reviews HKJ!
If I am looking for a thrower with nice spill, would you suggest TN30, TK70 or Xtar S1?
Thanks?

The S1 has more throw than the TN30, but the TN30 wins on size and user interface.

The TK70 is better than both in brightness and throw, but is much larger and heavier.

You are aware or the huge size difference between these lights?

The large size has one advantage: Better cooling, i.e. the light can run longer on full power.

Thanks for the infos, I am aware of the size differences.
Beside the TK70, the S1 and TN30 not much different in size to me

I absolutely agree. You could choose from quite a few "budget" lights that have a huge output but most of them have those darn blinky modes, or fall short in some way or another (UI, build, PWM etc). Still, I wish the TN30 came in at around $180 max. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I just have to say thank you.

Hi there,

Oh no welcome to the world of flashlights ! what have I got into !

Anyway i have a small collection and in it is a Thrunite TN30. Great torch however the magnetic ring is to loose for me although it clicks and locates and makes the selection it is very easy to just go past the setting I want.

Has anyone on here managed to modify it so I can have more resistance when i turn it ? anyone got a exploded diagram or a link to one so I can figure out what to do before I start to disassemble.

Thank you.

What would be better? A SRK or a TN30?

besides the 3xm-ls that both use, there’s no real comparisson between these 2 lights.

This is right, I got the TN30 XM-L2, the led of the TN30 is changed to xm-l2,you can look for it,

Great LOVES for TN30, my top 3 favourite :stuck_out_tongue:

THANK YOU FOR THE FABULOUS REVIEW