3400 protected 18650s at lighthound

i was checking out lighthound recently for some protected 3400 18650s for a tn30 (they have aw and redilast). is aw not a “true” buttontop? description says it has 3 raised dots to ensure cell connection, whereas the redilast seems to be a regular button top. is one preferable over the other? i was wondering if the aw might be less compatible with other 18650 flashlights. also, don’t these 2 batteries use the same panasonic cell, essentially making them the same battery in terms of quality?

There could be variation in the age of the cell, and so slight differences but not too much to worry about. The quality of the PCM (protection circuit) itself would be the main distinction, with a higher quality one desirable for lower resistance and voltage drop under load.

AW went with flat tops to keep it as short as possible, the three raised dots are actually on the rear -ve contact, so won’t help at all with contact at the front. Which is better depends on what light you will be using them in really.

In general though you will get better value with the less well-known brands as long as you can guarantee it has the genuine top quality cell in it. If you want top quality at the best price then search for ‘keeppower’ brand 3400mah, they manufacture for a number of high quality competitors for AW (Redilast, Orbtronic etc) and their cells with their own name on can be had for very good prices.

thanks for the info. if the redilast is longer than the aw, will it fit in a tn30? seems like i have read past posts where some batteries were too long or too thick to fit in a particular flashlight.

The Redilast 3400 (68.5 x 18.5 mm) will fit your TN30.

I’m using Intl-Outdoor 2600’s in mine (length 69.1 x 18.7 mm).
Keeppower 3400’s @ 68.8 x 18.7 mm will fit as well.
The diameter is also important; 18.7 mm is probably the max for this light.

HKJ has an excellent review of the TN30, including battery guidance here: Review: ThruNite TN30 with measurements and outdoor beamshots

thanks.

…would there be much a difference in runtime between the two; AW 3400 and a Redilast 3400?.

& the other thing; when I use the battery I will be trying to charge it up again when its down to say 3.8 / 3.7, not so much use, so is there really a need for a 3400mAh when a AW 2600 or 3100 could do pretty the same regardless?.

thanks.

With 18650 batteries you have some choices to make regarding performance attributes.

The Panasonic 2900/3100/3400 are all excellent batteries and will likely give you the longest overall runtime for their capacity at lower power levels in most lights. The good quality protected versions differ only in the protection circuit used, battery age (hard to know in most cases) quality of assembly and dimensions.

The capacity rating of these Panasonic batteries is based on discharging them down to levels below 3V, which many flashlights won`t permit, so you won`t necessarily get to use the full capacity of the battery.

As I understand it under `normal` initial operating conditions (good cell voltage level, moderate discharge and heat levels) other than cell age, all of the Panasonic 3400 based batteries should provide similar performance. In lights that use a boost driver to try and maintain regulation as the battery voltages drop by pulling more current from the batteries you will then start to see differences in performance between the brands. A Keeppower 3400 cell protection circuit will allow up to 11.5 amps draw before it triggers (According to HKJ). The `generic`protected Panasonic 3400 cell sold by HK Equipment will trigger protection when the current draw hits 6.7 amps. So the Keeppower battery may give you a little more runtime in regulation.

However (nothing’s ever simple right!) there are a number of batteries that will hold higher voltage at higher discharge currents for longer periods than the Panasonics, even though their total capacity rating is lower. The Sanyo 2600 based cells are the most popular I think. The unprotected 3000 mAh 4.35V LG battery is probably the best battery in this regard but requires a special charger to get to 4.35V and is not protected.

For the Thrunite TN30 the Sanyo 2600 based cells will give you a longer runtime at full brightness than the Panasonic cells. The Panasonic cells will give you a longer overall runtime.

The reviews published by HKJ on this forum and on his website (http://lygte-info.dk/) are worthy of the Nobel Prize for lithium ion batteries, chargers, and select flashlights! It takes a bit of reading to get the hang of it all, but for me I found it a most valuable resource, and I personally consider his material to be a must read.

There are many members of this forum more knowledable than me when it comes to understanding the performance of specific batteries in specific lights, and the trade-offs involved in choosing the right combination for your specific needs.

For me, doing lots of reading and then asking specific questions has been the way I continue to learn…

hey , very much thanks. so informative.

…OK, so how about if I went for an AW 2600 rather than an AW 3400?.
would I notice a difference in brightness really?.

thing is, I will be recharging quite well before its even below 3.7 or so, so just wondering thinking if 3100/400 is actually even worth it, and especially if im looking for more brightness…if possible.

its for an alpha ready made with a 2.8 driver.

thanks so much.

Hi neutralwhite,

Nice light. Really nice light!

Looks like it’s using a Cree MC-E led with a 2.8A MCE NANJG 2.8A driver.

The AW 2600 battery won’t be brighter, but will give you a longer runtime at max brightness (500 lm) than the AW 3100/3400 Panasonic batteries. Brightness is controlled by the driver, not the battery.

Have a look here:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650BatterySelection%20UK.html

thanks, and yes, the engineering feel is beautiful.
thanks for the informative reply.
appreciated.

might just stick with my 3100 for now.

thanks.