$150, single output 1,000+ lumens for 1hr+, rechargeable

Single output so that when we need the light in potentially dangerous situations, we won’t get to the wrong mode, and it’s for an easier life.

Ideally not an hour at once, probably 15 minutes of on-off while walking to scan the area.

Malkoff Wildcat or Hound Dog can realistically do 1000l for an hour but not in a USB charging body.
The Head can be loose or tight for Low or High output or you can get a single speed too if you really need to?
They are really great lights and about as rugged as anything can be!

Elzetta I think also offers this kind of sustained output with no step down.

Most mass produced lights are just going to get too hot to handle I imagine.

Acebeam L16/L30/T27

All can do around 1,500lm FLAT in high mode until battery depletion, that’s at least 2 hours with the included 5000mAh 21700. Integrated USB charging and direct access to momentary turbo from the forward tail switch.

What you’re looking for can only be achieved with a modern emitter and boost driver. I do believe regulated output doesn’t get enough attention… back in pre-FET days flat output was a attractive selling point and showcase of a efficient driver. I hate when lights starts to step down even before it gets warm when all of the components can run happily at more than 60° C.

Anyways I love my L30, the regulated output is the best I have seen since the nitecore EC4 with diecast body providing 1,000 steady lumens for 2+ hours. Zebralight SC700d comes close, although it is a much more compact light with less throw and no integrated charging; but the temperature regulation is amazing compared to 90% of the lights in the market that drop to ~600lm in just a couple minutes.

That makes sense. The Hound Dog is out of our budget, but we will consider stretching for the Wildcat.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I did read that the Acebeam L30/T27 can’t sustain 1,000 lumen until dead because of its small form factor. Can you point me to where I can read more about it? And especially how hot it gets after how long?

It actually has no problem sustaining 1000 lumens:

From review: Review: Acebeam L30 (1x20700/1x18650/2xCR123A, XHP70.2, 3900lm, 420m, CW/NW) (Pic-heavy)

Because it is using an XHP 70.2, it is a very efficient light.

Nice! Thanks!

This is the L30, do you have any reviews of the L30 gen II?

Same thing, except for a bigger 21700 cell(5000mAh vs 4200mAh)

That means you’ll have even better battery life. :slight_smile:

Got it! Thanks!

Randy’s pflexpro light has been on my duty belt for about 4 years. I chose the 3.8 amp version with 2 modes; high at 100%/low at 15. Not really a problem on what mode you get when turning on. You can order it without memory so it is always on high when turned on, low then with a quick press of the switch again. This will give you a better tool for general use. However the 3 amp driver will work almost as well 1350 vs 1100 lumens. You’ll have less heat and longer run times on the 3 amp style. This light has flown out of my belt and across parking lots without breaking. His site is down now while he finishes a large contract. He seals all the electronics in some pretty hard thermal epoxy. One of my coworkers took his fresh water scuba diving ( I don’t recommend that. ) I did put mine at the bottom of the pool for two days and it was bone dry inside. From another agency https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1NVSRJIz-4 After years of abuse for $20.00 you can make it look pretty again with a new host. The light is programed after 3 minutes on high to drop to 50 to allow the light to run longer without getting too hot to use. Want 100% again then just quickly cycle back to high for another 3 minutes of high. With the 3 amp style you can probably go 4-5 minutes on high before needing the step down. These are options on his build list. His price is around $75.00 plus battery and charger for about $15-20 more and free shipping.

The Surefire Fury DFT is a great light. There’s a story that when SureFire first made their P60 light that there was no testing protocol. So one of the engineers tossed it into his dryer for an hour. It came out still working but had chipped up the dryer causing some wife/husband trouble. A good read Re: Solarforce Flashlights

I think that Pflexpro is just what we look for. If the quality is as incredible as you said, gosh, I’d try to get our hands on those. Thank you for the info, and the good read on Surefire!

A step up from the Pflexpro are Elzetta’s. You want USB rechargeable and waterproof, but those don’t go together. The toughest most durable light is an Elzetta. They package says it is submersible to 10 meters, drop distance 5 meters, but I am sure it would work fine as a dive light, and they work after being dropped onto concrete at 300 feet from a helicopter. The Malkoff V6 Wildcat is a great light. I love mine too, and on a MD3 body it is not too long. You can run rechargeables in it. I use the MD4 Body with 2 18650’s but you can run it with 2 18500 cells in a MD3 body. The Wildcat is a serious flood light.

Yup, I just finished reading a bit about Malkoff and Elzetta, especially about your question to compare between MD3 4000K neutral and Elzetta Charlie.

Question: Is there any benefits to get continuous OTF of 1100 vs 1500, since that’s your choice, especially in terms of battery?

The Malkoff V6 Wildcat looks very interesting. I tried looking it up on Youtube and only found 1 video. I kinda want to pick this up instead of a ZL.

I like the warmer tints because they are less straining on my eyes. However, tint is highly subjective from person to person and their is no right answer. My girlfriend says even my Elzetta (probably around 4700K) makes her sleepy but 5700K makes her energetic.

The emitter (LED) is identical in both lights a CREE XHP-50. So there will be the exact same battery consumption regardless of which tint you choose. The reason that one puts out more lumens than the other is because to get the tint down to 4000K… I believe they use a thicker coating over the LED which makes the light that is emitted through the dome on the LED less. Someone might correct me on the last part, but as far as battery consumption goes the tint wont matter.

I am guessing you found Gear Runners video. If so, I would say he did a very good job at explaining the light and also the way the light looks in real life as much as possible.

Yup, Im watching it right now. So, this light can sustain 1500 lumens for 1 hour with 2 x 18650? thats great

If you go to CPF and look under the LED flashlights section you will see INFRNL’s Sticky at the top titled “Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo”. If you scroll down to his second post, you will find runtime graphs of just about every Malkoff you could ask for. I can’t link it for some reason.

Gotcha. I can’t believe I missed that thread. Thanks!

Yes no problem, he did a lot of work there!
On the cool white version it is still running at 1,200 lumens after 1.5 hours.