18650 dual battery headlamp Boruit rj3000 12 volt compatible?

Can I eliminate the 2, 18650 batteries and use a 12 volt source to power the led lamp. On an air boat with an easy 12 volt source. A friend tried to buy 18650 batteries at a “Batteries Plus” shop and was asked what the batteries were for, when he said headlamp they wouldn’t sell him the batteries due to explosions. Need some advice, is the led multi voltage?

Am I understanding this right, you want to use a headlamp tethered to a battery with a wire?

That can’t possibly be convenient.

Light will run on 4.2v if the cells are parallel (can you run it with only one cell?) Or 8.4v if they’re on series…. I would assume the 12v would be too much, plus, if its anything like a car engine, you’ll be getting voltages of 14v…

I don’t think that headlamp is that good, but if you like it that’s what counts.

Try this thread if you still need 18650 cells.

That light is a 4.2 volt light. I have the same light. No you can’t easily run it teathered to 12 volts.

It can be done but if you are asking I’m guessing you don’t know how to safely do it.

It is when your running an air boat. I’m concerned about the potential hazard of a pair of 18650 batteries on the back of my skull and the explosion issue.

My concern is wearing cheap 18650 batteries and using cheap chinese chargers. I researched the issue. Maybe I need a better grade of headlamp and batteries that won’t blow up. Any suggestions on equipment to upgrade?

I’ve owned this cheap light since 12/25/2015 (my ocd marks all electronics, batts, and all that kinda stuff I consider long term). I’ve used it plenty of times while in an air boat bow fishing. It’s a cheap light that if gets lost in the water, oh well. If you got the cheap “XXXXX-fire” batts it came with toss them.

18650s don’t “just blow up” unless you are being a moron with them. This light uses crap blue tint LEDS (you hang around you will fall into the CRI) but it’s not a bad light. I’ve been in a power out now for almost a week and using mine just fine.

It’s not water proof so if it falls over, leave it. My ol lady is a tech advisor at a school so I get chromebook battery packs all time, why I use samsung 30q. I pull the packs apart and I have a 5 gallon bucket of them right now I need to charge and test.

I will say cheap chinese chargers are junk, get a good one. I think The charger I got with this light I tossed back in 15 because I have an xtar. I have nothing bad about it as its atleast that old too but do your own research.

my gen about to go out so this is fast and short, do your research, learn your equipment. we are here to ask questions so please do.

No, you can’t. It’s a 4.2v light and 12v will fry it.
You have to do some extremely dumb stuff to get a battery to explode.

Only one experience but I went in a Batteries+ store to ask some pointed questions about lithium ion batteries. It was obvious I knew way more than the clerk, so take that ‘advice’ as a pat answer to people looking for 18650.

You could use a simple buck converter to drop the 12/14v boat voltage to 4v for the headlight.
They are cheap on Amazon and could be mounted someplace protected from moisture - or get one for more $$ designed for use in harsher conditions.
Naturally there will be a wire connection between the light and the power supply.
All the Best,
Jeff
Something like this - $15

DROC Buck Converter

1 Thank

These headlamps cost 20 times more, but you can set them up to run off 12V.

LEDX Lights Enduro | Pannlampor & lampor för endurosport

thx, I ordered one, adjustable. Quick fix $12.21… Amazon.com

Cool. Glad to help.
The supply you linked to is only 3A.
Not sure how much current the headlamp pulls. 3A is likely enough - but…
The converter might overheat, so keep an eye (or at least a hand) on it till you are confident it won’t go up in smoke. :laughing:
All the Best,
Jeff