1x18650 XP-E Flashlight for $2.99; Deal?

Just ordered qty 5 for $17.92 USD at the new link -- thanx!! I was look'n for a cheap EDC host to build up for gifting. This S5 looks like a HD2011 I have, but not XML reflector I suppose.

Got some in, tossed one into the Sphere ’o Many Mysteries:

Low: 16 lumens, .12 amps
Med: 65 lumens, .5 amps
High: 130 lumens, 1.06 amps

PWM: none !?
CCT: 7500-7900K (kinda blue)

On strobe and SOS modes the light does not blink to full off. It shows some dim light on the off phases. I couldn’t measure the strobe frequency. Not sure if that also was messing up the PWM measurements.

Tailcap resistance: 0.3 ohms, switch alone is 0.050 ohms.

The driver is not regulated. Uses a CX2829 chip with four 1.5 ohms resistors in parallel to limit current. At 4.2V to the driver it draws 1.45 amps and the pill (out of the light does 200 lumens). At 4.0V it draws 1.2A

Just a little thermal paste on the star. It seems to be pressed in rather tight, not easy to lift up.

Thanks for the details pyro! That’s a very cool tinted emitter. Might be a dedome candidate :wink:
Surprised by the lack of PWM.
Switch sound OK, braid on the spring is in order.

Thanx pyro - that is all useful. Not quite the 750-800 lumens I'm getting on my 18650 EDC's, but mine do get blaz'n hot in like 1-2 mins at 2.8A - XML U3's. Thinking of 2.1A or so with XML or XP-G2. I'm thinking of an optic like this: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1144800, or an OP reflector.

Nichia 219…

I bet it uses PWM, but the way the LED never goes fully off may be fooling my PWM sensor.

BTW, a braid job on the tailcap reduced the resistance to around 0.10 ohms and added 10% to the output.

I put a Nichia 219 in one… 150 lumens on high, 3995K. No mo zombie light…

Oh, and that thermal paste they used was not paste, but was an adhesive. No wonder it took some doing to get the star out.

Hi,

I tried the 15 degree version of that lens in this light, and it works fine, so I’m guessing the 30 degree one would fit/work also.

I don’t have any of these TIR’s. Would someone post a wall beam shot using this light? It would be nice to compare to the beamshot in post 41:

I’ll be doing one or two with a Nichia 219. One’s getting dedomed, the other probably an XP-G2 of some tint.

De-doming a ’219 is probably not a good idea. A lot of the high-CRI goodness comes from magic fairy dust suspended in the dome.

Oh no, not dedoming the Nichia.
I bought four lights. I’ll dedome the zombie XP-E. :wink:

Good boy, good boy…

XPE chip sucks… Nichia 219 is more efficient, and those aren’t know for their stellar luminosity. I wouldn’t bother with it.

Hmmm, I have an XPG2 on a star around here, somewhere…

Ok, I put an XPG2/U3 6000K into one. Got 210 lumens out. Just the bare pill was doing over 325 lumens. Looks like the reflector/craplastic lens/bezel eats 1/3 of your photons.

Here you go:

15 degree lens from FT on left, original reflector on right.

I couldn’t get enought distance between the lights, so I stood them on a tabletop, pointing at the ceiling, so the pic angle is a little off to “the side”… thus the somewhat non-circular beams. About 6’ from the ceiling (basement).

Doesn’t it have a glass lens? What happens if you use the bezel+reflector but no lens? If that is better, then maybe an AR lens might help?

Which 15 degree lens did you use? I like that beam.

It was this one, from FT:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1187501

Looks like plastic to me. Scuffed around the outer edge where the bezel sits. 19.5mm diam… everybody seems to be sold out.

The link in the OP still shows available, but did the price go up? It shows $3.99 for me now with free shipping, was $2.99 with free shipping. Does that mean the US would be $3.99 +$1 shipping?
Maybe the seller caught on when sales jumped due to BLF effect.
The first few that received were saying it was a glass lens. Maybe there’s a variety of different ones with different parts all pulled from the same (garbage) bin when the seller ships?
Edit: Oh, you mean everyone is sold out of 19.5mm glass lenses.

I used this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-300Lumen-CREE-XPE-R2-LED-18650-FLASHLIGHT-TORCH-LAMP-LIGHT-EM-/141014095926?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item20d5185836 listed above, same seller - he's got like 3 listings of the same thing with slightly different pricing/shipping costs -- nuts.

You're right though - he definitely changed the OP link, but not the one I used, at least for now...