2014 Scratch Build Entrant - Handmade - Failed

Your sketch looks like quite a good light. Hope it turns out how you want it.

If the wife is likely to use it I would try for the handle, 12x 18650’s is not going to be a small or medium size light. Like Jerommel said “Goliath”

Very cool you are way ahead of me, I’m still waiting for inspiration.

RaceR86:

I think others have already driven the MT-G2 harder than I intend to here. Just shooting for better throw, run time and cooling. hmmm, it would be a shame to have all that heat sinking and not push it though. Darn you, now you got me thinking evil thoughts now.

Jerommel:

Yeah, this light is at the limit of something I would be willing to carry around. Definitely will need a shoulder strap.

pinkpanda3310:

Me too. Good advice. Thank you.

18sixfifty:

Thank you. Inspiration was easy for this one. Just thought about what I want in a light that I have not yet found (for a reasonable price).

I think it’s awesome.

You’ll need this pocket-knive to be complete. :bigsmile:

Looking good :slight_smile: keep us updated.

Thank you Jerommel. That is a nice looking knife. There was a recent thread on it.

EDIT: I see were you are comming from. That knife is big. Check out this pic.

Thank you DenBarrettSAR. Will do. I hope I can pull it off in time for the contest.

Any updates, new ideas? Getting a bit lonely not seeing other builds.

Nice effort. It really is interesting reading.

I like it so far. How many hours do you think you have in it?

Thank you. I really don’t have a good guess, but I would say a whole lot of hours. Been squeezing in minutes and hours whenever I can. Most of what I have done so far is the first time for me.

Wow, that’s all firsts? Well done!

Ain’t learning curves grand?

Beautiful finish on that tailcap. Can hardly wait to see more :-)

yes well executed finish there i like it very much

Thank you Jerommel, DenBarrettSAR, Rufusbduck, MRsDNF, Bucket, pinkpanda3310, Ledsmoke, and Ervin Anastasi. Means a lot coming from each of you as I really a appreciate and admire each of you.

Sorry for the slow reply. Was going through some heavy stuff when you asked that and I didn’t want to think much about this project at the time. Tons of new ideas. Some are cut backs to due to time constraints, some are changes due to failed attempts, and some are new concepts ideas. I’m hesitant to share the cut backs and new concepts yet. Don’t want to give out any good ideas on the cut backs and need to do some testing on new concepts…

Really like how you did the twist off. To get good clean brazed joints the parts need to be absolutely clean and freshly wire brushed or sanded. I wash my hands as well as the parts before setting up to braze and don’t skimp on the flux, there has to be enough form a glaze over the joint and float any remaining contaminants that form during heating. Skin oils are particularly bad for the process. I’m still pretty much a noob brazing but the clean part is the biggest single factor I’ve noticed so far.

Regarding the glass cutting for the lens, have you tried a trickle of oil round where you are going to cut, I’ve seen professional glass cutters/glaziers use a line of oil along the cut and it smooths the cutting head.
I was going to tell you the type of oil but you’d think I was taking the pee if I said they use light oil.
Great build by the way, I’m looking forward to seeing this one at full power.

Wow, you’re really good at it.

Looking great.

Sorry for not updating this thread in a while. My wife and I both had serious family medical emergencies that put a lot of stuff on hold. Those matters have resolved themselves in bad and good ways. BLF was a nice place to escape to for moments here and there during the process. I started working on light stuff again last week and have made a little progress, but haven't up dated this thread yet. I hope to in a few days after I make more progress.

Rufusbduck:

Thank you for the brazing advice. I don't do some of those practices, but will try on my next braze. Much appreciated.

8steve88:

That oil idea sounds good. I will try mineral oil next time. Thank you.

Jerommel and southland:

Thank you very much. I hope to met the deadline with a decent light. One thing for sure, I have learned a whole bunch and would do much different if I could do it over again.