*2016-11-07* New: Nitecore P30

I sent a few pics to DB of the P30 reflector, I didn’t know how to post pics on this forum.
Anyway, my light came from Andrew-Amanda a couple of days ago.

I’ve seen that on more nitecore reflectors. I think that’s indeed a design feature to make the beam smooth.
That’s not really what ‘we’ want but what the majority wants.

My nitecore P12 reflector looks the same.
They dont use orange peel but have some sort of strong circular pattern

Also my Convoy C8 got a circular pattern in the micrometer range, but quite different than nitecore
quite what you expect from a machine made part

The smallest pattern has my Eagle Eye X6

Your eye can see even a few um of irregularity on a surface if you look at the mirror

My SS X6 is the only light I’ve had with those rings, not quite that strong though. My measured kcd was substantially lower than others who got smooth reflectors (around 25-30% lower iirc).

Sounds like with Nitecore it might be intended, and not poor QC.

How about actually measuring the lux to see if it matches spec rather than “it doesnt look smooth to me”?
Or do not many people own a luxmeter?
It definitely looks like it was done intentionally, or just how they machine the reflectors.

This isn’t something that you can easily put into a render…people should know better than to expect a finished product looking exactly like a render anyway.

If they can’t sell the product that looks like the render they dang sure shouldn’t show us the render! That would constitute fraud via false advertising.

And it does meet spec, exceeds it even. I got 115.25Kcd for 678.97M and 1048.8 lumens. That doesn’t mean the beam profile is the best.

Mine MH27 had same diffuse hot spot. On distance of 200 meter the trow was terrible. So I sold out Nitecore MH27.

Wow fast shipping from A&A ordered Monday just got it at 11:00am? Post office must be practicing for Christmas deliveries!

Yes the reflector finish looks deliberate, must be worried about ring’s in the beam? Or they perfected the art of tool chatter finishing?

Has the dead spot associated with thrower’s about 12’’ from the wall, soft hot spot into a pretty good size yellow corona into soft spill, yeah… I don’t know? With a quick check it show’s throw around 108.8Kcd…meh… it’s not all that bad, and of course it’s glued! :person_facepalming:

Got to hide the wife’s Christmas present before she gets home! :wink:

Nightcore enlisted Alien Technology to come up with the Glue from Hell. They’re tough to break into without collateral damage.

It’s not easy to make perfect photorealistic renders….
There is no “mirror with slight lines from circular polishing” material in the surface options, there is just mirror.
As long as it works then it is not an issue. Clearly it works better than what other brands are doing.

How does this light compare to the M2X-UT? Thanks.

It’s much smaller with half the throw and about the same output.

Welcome to BLF :slight_smile:

Just because something is fairly uniform and consistent across examples, does not mean it was intentional. I have a Ford Edge. On a certain year of Edge manufactured in a certain plant, there is an identical dent on one of the roof panels from a robot that wasn’t calibrated correctly (or something). It definitely was not intentional, but because “they all have that”, dealers are refusing to fix it under warranty.

I think Nitecore had a whole batch of reflectors made and they all came back with this defect. Either nitecore missed it in inspection, or didn’t feel it was a big enough problem to have new reflectors made.

My X6 SE (SS version) has a reflector that looks identical. It seems rings from machining weren’t properly smoothed before vapor coating.

Dale, haven’t you hand polished reflectors before because of this very issue on a cheaper light?

I have indeed polished reflectors for this and worse, in even more expensive lights. My Barracuda reflector was horrible when I got it. :wink:

I took apart the P30, wasn’t easy, there was some damage that I’ll have to fix, but yeah, it’s open. Reflector threads into the bezel. VERY HEAVY APPLICATION of red Loctite on the bezel threads to the head, they obviously put the stuff on the head very thick then put the bezel on.

Very unique inside. :wink:

Maybe even Nitecore designed the light to do better lux, but when the bad reflectors came back they retested and underrated the throw numbers so they couldn’t be accused of lying on the specs.

The suspense is killing me! need pictures!

I Took pictures! :slight_smile:

But y’all gotta wait… wife’s home again, sick and in bed… her boss’s boss sent her home. About to go to town to pick up some burgers since the kitchen is busy with Thanksgiving stuff. :slight_smile:

Haha you caught that wink…lol

Sumpin is brewin…

A quick look inside the Nitecore P30…

The plastic retaining piece that fits onto the driver (3 locating pins lock it in on the driver) has a backing for the switch board, there is a plastic button that fits inside the rubber boot and has a pin on it which protrudes through a larger plastic contact piece. This all allows the boot to make good switch contact and re-enforces the entire mechanism. The shelf on the reflector presses this large circular plastic retaining ring down onto the driver and also presses the thin copper mcpcb onto the emitter shelf. It’s complex, and a bit tricky to put back together. As you can see, generous application of the Red Loctite made it very difficult to break into.

Got the pics, the family was whining about being hungry, put it back together and ran to town. lol

Now, where was I?..…

interesting indeed. So just a contact board on the battery side then?