32mm diameter copper boards: testing the water

that’s really not that bad price wise. Quite a premium over alu stars but relatively little difference in the grand scheme of things (~$4 in a $60 light build). I’ll definitely be in for some of those!

They said I have to buy a minimum of 30-35 pieces before u can place a order

As a sample? :bigsmile:

I’m sure we can muster that many, if someone’s brave enough to do a group buy. At least postage and handling should be pretty simple :slight_smile:

I can arrange something if u guys like ?

Ill get more info from them and some pics, I can mail them out in envolopes or bubble mailers but that will be lil more in cost.

I don’t think shipping would be over few dollars

If u guys like just post and ill order 30 pieces or more ?

Shipping worldwide or just US?

I can ship anywhere but it might not be cheap, ill have to look into it but should not be a problem

Nitro, maybe you should open a thread for a 20mm Sinkpad GB.
I’ll be down for at least 5.

Here is the GB

Thanks for doing this Nitro: I just got home (was out of town for the last 24 hours) and was going to post the above prices and ask someone from the US if they would handle it from their end.

I’m in for 10 of each (XML and XPG) if we can get the order over 301, for over 1000 sign me up for 20 of each. :bigsmile:

I will get that quote for the 32mm boards done by Kris / Sinkpad: if we are only going to pay $2.5 per 20mm board I am guessing we can get prices down to around $2-$3 per 16mm board.
PilotPTK it would be awesome if you could draw up a 16mm XML and XPG design!!!

In my case all depends on price/unit + shipping cost.

Btw, this thread started as “32mm copper board…” but now I am not sure what are we talking about, which emitter and which board diameter!!!

XM-L U2 - 32mm board
XM-L U2 - 20mm board
XM-L U2 - 16mm board

XP-G2 R5 - 20mm board <- (kinda too big board for 3x3mm emitter, but 4 pcs… :bigsmile: )
XP-G2 R5 - 16mm board
XP-G2 R5 - 14mm board

I still want to have the 32mm boards made up but at this stage it is looking unlikely: Nitro said there is a minimum order of $1500 for custom SinkPad designs. This would require payment for the boards before they have been produced (as I don’t have $1.5k to spend). My guess is price for a single 32mm board would work out to be around $10 each. I will set up a group buy thread similar to Nitro’s once I get some numbers back to see if the interest is there.

I have have asked both Altas PCB and Sinkpad about pricing for the 32mm board.

PilotPTK is going to do a drawing for me to send to Nitro to send to SinkPad based on a 16mm board: I will give him dimensions with the solder pads far enough in that they can be sanded / ground down to 14mm boards if needed.

As for what LED: the 32mm boards will be XML, maybe XPG if there is enough interest. The 16mm boards will probably be available in XML and XPG.

Here’s the artwork for the 16MM SinkPAD Variant.

PPtk

Gerbers - CAD Data

Thanks PilotPTK! Looks great.

I will flick a PM off to Nitro so he can send this off to SinkPad.

(About my comment about making the board in such a way as to allow it to be sanded down to 14mm: ignore it. There is little room as it is under a p60 reflector for the wires, pushing them closer to the LED will just make things worse).

This is great, by the way (in case you didn't know ). Thanks Manual Man and nitro for putting this together. Ordered 20's but definitely would take even more 16's. For 32's, just a couple.

The tough part will be deciding what lights get the XM-L2 U2's on copper, but I'll probably do only the highest end with the best heat management (7G9, XinTD C8, etc.).

lil off topic but where will u guys be ordering your XML-U2 emitters or any other emitters ? if its from cutter ? may be a group buy lol

I originally got 3 XM-L2 T6's NW's from Mouser, then they went out-of-stock. I got in 5 XM-L2 U2's from IlluminationSupply - could have ordered them from Mouser but was simpler from IS, maybe a hair cheaper w/shipping, and had a couple of other things to order from IS anyway.

Update:

The quote from SinkPad is back and basically reads thus (prices per board):
Quantity: 180
Price (6 week lead): $9.45
Price (4 week lead): $10.00

Quantity: 500
Price (6 week lead): $4.20
Price (4 week lead): $4.40

I asked for 2mm thick but they quoted 1.5mm: I will ask again about 2mm boards. The other issue is money: I don’t have $2000 so the order will not go through unless I can fill an order of at least 180.

Yikes, qty and price may be an issue to get. 32mm aren't as popular, but who knows until you ask I suppose.

I'm good for only qty 2 @2mm thickness, assuming a little more $$$.

Don’t know how many people have seen the other thread over in the buy and sell section so here is the link: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/14977
I will update the image in a few minutes.