357 Lithium coin battery blows up in my face!

Its true. And it was my fault. I was not thinking! I have this Jimi Hendrix Christmas ball that plays Purple Haze and takes three of those 357 lithium coin batteries. I tried numerous times to get them in and I couldn’t. So I used a little screwdriver like an idiot :person_facepalming: and all the sudden it sounded like a 357 gunshot! I’m so grateful that I didn’t get blinded or serious damage to my eye. Several pieces hit me on the outside of my right bottom eyelid.

After this Fiasco I remembered six years ago when I had to change the batteries. You put one at one end, one at the other end, and then the third one in the middle. I kept trying to line them up in a row. Won’t work that way.

I probably shorted the Christmas ball device out. It has sentimental value. My cousin who has cerebral palsy and is 63 years old and is confined to a wheelchair, gave it to me about 15 years ago. I’ll find out when I buy three more of those batteries and use my fingers and put it in the proper way.One end then the other end and then middle battery.

I debated whether to start a thread on this. Please be easy on me! I have been thinking a lot about my best friend who got killed 26 years ago tonight by a drunk driver.

Just to reiterate. It happened so fast and I can’t believe how loud it was. It certainly sounded like a gunshot. Photos below.

At least it wasn’t a 44 coin-cell, the most powerful coin-cell in the world, and could blow your head clean off.

“scuse me, while I lose my eye”

I'm relieved that you'll recover just fine.

(Sounds scary, though.)

Get more batteries, install them properly and test it out!

Cool item.

Chris

I know how you feel— I shorted a VTC6 taking apart a 48v drill pack— It was like having a lit roman candle in the house —- wait till you go to put the new cells in— you’ll be so nervous

Unreal. Thanks for sharing. I’ve used the tip of a metal nail file (rounded edges) that’s on my Victorinox money clip to pry out a coin cell battery. I’d never expect that it would be enough to short it out and blow it to pieces. From now on, I’m using a toothpick (wooden or plastic)!

Scary. I’ve heard one of those little button cells explode before. Sounded like a fire cracker. I was surprised how violent it was. I’m glad your ok.

LB - very good one!

How about a .50 Magnum cell (kidding)?. You were lucky. Don’t repeat the experiment.

How about first placing a small piece of plastic (cut out of a plastic bag) in a crosswise direction in he battery bay. Make sure both ends stick out when you put in the batteries.
If you want to remove the batteries, just pull the plastic flaps. No prying needed.

Or a Podbyrin 9.2mm cell.

Only a bus has more stopping power.

Thanks for the replies,EXCEPT for the one…“Scuse me while I lose my eye”.Uncalled for and fail to see the humor in it.

I won’t be nervous next time.I just use my fingers with the process I explained in OP.

My guess is I shorted it out.

Happy Holidays.

You are an A**. Making light of something that could have been very serious. Basically insulting me. I fail to see any humor in your insensitive and provocative comment.

So whatever SB decides he decides. I take responsibility for what I said and do not regret it. Have a good holiday Mr. Perfect!

There are many nylon / plastic spudgers on Amazon and ebay, cheap as chips. A spudger with a spade one end and a point the other should work.

I’m pretty sure that it was just a failed attempt at being humorous and not meant as an insult. I’d recommend removing your quote of his comment though in case he wants to remove his.

Thanks a lot for this post though, it’s extremely informative and a bit scary. Glad you’re OK.

I’ll be happy to remove it. But he must remove his First.

He is the one who posted something ignorant that has no humor and is insulting to me.

Happy Holidays .

You are not alone.
I’m the only person in the whole world that has blown up an Eneloop (or 2)

! !

:open_mouth:

Alright, that settles it, no more batteries for me, I’m going back to my stationary bike generator for powering devices.

For Li-ion and Ni Cd batteries it’s really only safe to pry on the neg side —- for those coin type cells the pos is the solid metal side — most of the time what’s happening is the pry tool goes in the vent hole — BOOM